Ashba or Adler....who would you rather be?

Birk

One life to live!  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I obviously meant the new members, didn't think I'd actually have to point that one out.

So you are talking about "any NEW member of NuGNR"? Who would that be, Dj?

This becomes highly subjective, but in my opinion Buckethead, Robin and Chris has made larger contributions to GN'R than Steven.

And Paul. Especially Paul.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I obviously meant the new members, didn't think I'd actually have to point that one out.

This becomes highly subjective, but in my opinion Buckethead, Robin and Chris has made larger contributions to GN'R than Steven.

Yes, I forgot about Paul. Without Steven, another decent drummer would have played on AFD and that record would still have been a great success. Without Paul, GN'R would have broken up and we wouldn't have There Was A Time and Better.

Yes, I forgot about Paul. Without Steven, another decent drummer would have played on AFD and that record would still have been a great success. Without Paul, GN'R would have broken up and we wouldn't have There Was A Time and Better.
Without Axl another singer would have been the vocalist. Without Duff another bassist would've played bass. Without Slash another guitarist would've played the solos.

Nice logic.

Edited by Jeez

Obviously Adler was the least important member of the classic band as he was not a songwriter but I personally do see Adler's drums as an ingredient for the success of Appetite. Maybe not the main reason (that would be, Stradlin's songwriting, Slash's leads and Axl's singing) but certainly a ingredient, an ingredient probably about on par with Duff's punky bass lines. The groove in Mr Brownstone, Paradise City and Rocket Queen comes particuarly to mind. Stick a big technical drummer on those songs and they would have not worked.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Adler just realizes how bad he fucked up, and he will regret that til the day that he is dead, he knows what they had and is chasing that....on the other hand, ashba is chasing a businessmans dream it seems, which actually isnt a bad idea because once GNR is gone or he is out of GNR, DJ Ashba will have no relevance at all anywhere, and all his fat girls on facebook that adore him will be crushed...

Ashba. Playing on afd is great.... but his life sucks. He sucks.

Ashba fucks hot girls, isnt retarded, just looks it a little. Ashba has a great fucking life though. There's not too many people out there as lucky as Ashba.

Obviously Adler was the least important member of the classic band as he was not a songwriter but I personally do see Adler's drums as an ingredient for the success of Appetite. Maybe not the main reason (that would be, Stradlin's songwriting, Slash's leads and Axl's singing) but certainly a ingredient, an ingredient probably about on par with Duff's punky bass lines. The groove in Mr Brownstone, Paradise City and Rocket Queen comes particuarly to mind. Stick a big technical drummer on those songs and they would have not worked.

I agree with everything you said.

Steven introduced Slash to the guitar and aerosmith which got him into the whole thing. Without that we may not have any GN'R at all. Steven was the least important member of the original lineup, but he was still important for many reasons.

You also talk as if there is only one way to play drums. As if there is only one way to play rocket queen and any drummer would have played the same thing. It doesn't work like that. Remove Steven, add another drummer and the beat and groove of for instance Rocket Queen could be gone. Steven had his own way of playing.

Edited by Jeez

Without Axl another singer would have been the vocalist. Without Duff another bassist would've played bass. Without Slash another guitarist would've played the solos.

Nice logic.

Huh? Each member could have been replaced, no one is denying that, but whereas replacing Axl or Slash would (probably) have had hugely detrimental effect on the quality of music, that would not have been the case with Steven who only made a decent contribution. That is exactly why few people cared when Matt took over, while MANY cared when Slash left.

I agree completely, and this isn't really contrary at all to what I have been saying. If you replaced Izzy, Duff, Slash or Axl that would have a huge impact on the music, because these guys wrote the songs or added hugely popular musical additions, whereas Steven "just" played the drums. And although some of us are really fond of his way of playing, that does not extend to most people who like songs off AFD. You could replace Steven with any other decent drummer and it would have had minor impact on the music, but replacing any other member would drastically have changed the songs.

Steven introduced Slash to the guitar and aerosmith which got him into the whole thing. Without that we may not have any GN'R at all. Steven was the least important member of the original lineup, but he was still important for many reasons.

What would those musical reasons be?

You also talk as if there is only one way to play drums.

Huh? I have many times referred to me liking his groovy style.

As if there is only one way to play rocket queen and any drummer would have played the same thing. It doesn't work like that. Remove Steven, add another drummer and the beat and groove of for instance Rocket Queen could be gone. Steven had his own way of playing.

Sure, but replacing him with another drummer with some groove would probably not have changed the music drastically, something replacing any other member would have. It really is that simple. Steven is so proud of having been part of Guns N' Roses, and at times it seems that is the only thing that keeps him alive, but the irony is that he really shouldn't be. He was insignificant and not a key member.

Sure, but replacing him with another drummer with some groove would probably not have changed the music drastically,

:rofl-lol: Ok
Again, people didn't really mind when Matt took over. You can laugh as much as you want, but it is what it is.

we heard you the first time.

Sure, but replacing him with another drummer with some groove would probably not have changed the music drastically,

Again, people didn't really mind when Matt took over. You can laugh as much as you want, but it is what it is.

Hearing and comprehending is obviously two different things.

People: Steven is a GNR legend!

Me: He didn't really write anything and only added decent drumming to one GN'R record.

People: But his drum style was integral to the sound of AFD!

Me: Sure, but any good drummer would have been able to play good drums on that record. You can replace him but none of the other band members without influencing the music on AFD drastically and especially not the quality of the music.

People: But I like his drumming style!

Me: Sure, but your opinions doesn't make anyone a legend, and most fans of GN'R didn't complain when Matt took over. They are just drummers.

People: But I really like drummers!

Me: Okay...

Me: He didn't really write anything and only added decent drumming to one GN'R record.

Me: Sure, but any good drummer would have been able to play good drums on that record. You can replace him but none of the other band members without influencing the music on AFD drastically and especially not the quality of the music.

Me: Sure, but your opinions doesn't make anyone a legend, and most fans of GN'R didn't complain when Matt took over. They are just drummers.

we got it.

we got it.

:rofl-lol:

More like.....

People: (talking about something)

SM: Let me start a semantic debate about one of your sentences that has nothing to do, really, with what you were saying. Check out these 19 paragraphs!!

People: That's not what we're talking about.

SM: So you have no argument against me? Check out these 11 paragraphs!!

People: OK

SM: 8 paragraphs!!

SM: :cry:

we got it.

More like.....

People: (talking about something)

SM: Let me start a semantic debate about one of your sentences that has nothing to do, really, with what you were saying. Check out these 19 paragraphs!!

People: That's not what we're talking about.

SM: So you have no argument against me? Check out these 11 paragraphs!!

SM: 8 paragraphs!!

SM: :cry:

• 1 month later...