Axl is not a defeatist

GN'R Lies

Nothing wrong with wanting, trouble is when people convince themselves that needing=wanting, and go to all lengths to explain, more or less, the reasons why they feel entitled to it, which is a mistaken notion in essence.

Find me one person on this board that will say that they are entitled to or literally need a new album from Axl. You guys fabricate this shit to start arguments.
No, unfortunately this isnt the case. People want it, convince themselves they need it, carrying the emotional baggage that a true need warrants, and it escalates from there....

So we're just gonna be totally vague and abstract when we talk about "people" doing these things? Got it.

It's a notion that pops up every so often on this site, here's one example: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/23689-axl-owes-his-fans/More examples of confused fans not understanding the concept of 'business' in this thread: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/149181-what-do-you-think-axl-owes-us/

Good examples, was rereading.....

Beware the Entitlement Mentality

Entitlement mentality - introduction :lol:

Are you erroneously thinking that the world owes you something? Are you looking to others to do something for you rather than focusing on what you can do for yourself?

It is very common for people to feel that those in authority or those that are successful owe them something. This kind of thinking can be seen in many situations. A good, but extreme, example would be the beggar in the street who feels that because you are driving a nice car you should give him something for a meal.

Coming closer to many peoples experience, another example would be the relative who feels that because you are well educated and have a good job you should take over his responsibility of seeing one or two of his children through school. Then there is the employee that feels entitled to a promotion because they have served long in an organization.

Entitlement mentality no ones owes you anything

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with any of the examples I have given. But the fact is that even if I had a billion dollars it would be totally up to me to decide whether to give the beggar the money or whether to sponsor those children through school. Similarly if I were the owner of the company it would be totally up to me to decide whether to promote you based on your long service.

The bottom line is that whatever decision I would make in all these cases would be correct. I may be compelled to help you by my spiritual convictions and beliefs, but even that would be up to me, not you. The fact is that, apart from very few very specific cases, no one is entitled to anything from anyone.

Edited by sailaway

Beware the Entitlement Mentality

Entitlement mentality - introduction :lol:

Are you erroneously thinking that the world owes you something? Are you looking to others to do something for you rather than focusing on what you can do for yourself?

It is very common for people to feel that those in authority or those that are successful owe them something. This kind of thinking can be seen in many situations. A good, but extreme, example would be the beggar in the street who feels that because you are driving a nice car you should give him something for a meal.

Coming closer to many peoples experience, another example would be the relative who feels that because you are well educated and have a good job you should take over his responsibility of seeing one or two of his children through school. Then there is the employee that feels entitled to a promotion because they have served long in an organization.

Entitlement mentality no ones owes you anything

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with any of the examples I have given. But the fact is that even if I had a billion dollars it would be totally up to me to decide whether to give the beggar the money or whether to sponsor those children through school. Similarly if I were the owner of the company it would be totally up to me to decide whether to promote you based on your long service.

The bottom line is that whatever decision I would make in all these cases would be correct. I may be compelled to help you by my spiritual convictions and beliefs, but even that would be up to me, not you. The fact is that, apart from very few very specific cases, no one is entitled to anything from anyone.

HAHAHAHAHA thank you for that warchild.

Nothing wrong with wanting, trouble is when people convince themselves that needing=wanting, and go to all lengths to explain, more or less, the reasons why they feel entitled to it, which is a mistaken notion in essence.

Find me one person on this board that will say that they are entitled to or literally need a new album from Axl. You guys fabricate this shit to start arguments.
No, unfortunately this isnt the case. People want it, convince themselves they need it, carrying the emotional baggage that a true need warrants, and it escalates from there....

So we're just gonna be totally vague and abstract when we talk about "people" doing these things? Got it.

It's a notion that pops up every so often on this site, here's one example: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/23689-axl-owes-his-fans/

More examples of confused fans not understanding the concept of 'business' in this thread: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/149181-what-do-you-think-axl-owes-us/

So like 2-3 people over the span of ten years on the forum say that Axl owes the fans an album and get shouted down by many, many more people for being "deluded" and whatnot. I guess you lived up to what I requested. My point seems confirmed, though. Almost nobody says Axl owes the fans an album, so bringing it up like it's an issue is just trying to stir the pot.

Huh? No, it's been a lot more than "2-3 people over the span of ten years". These were just the first threads I found. I am not saying there's been many people claiming GN'R owes them anything, just that I now and then read such sentiments. I don't consider it "an issue", just an entertaining aspect of hardcore fan mentality.

Afer hearing Chinese dem, I can't believe there are fans who still want new music. Well, there ain't many. But I'm surprised there are any at all. If anything I'd think gnr fans would be more willing to pay axl NOT to release another album

There Was A Time is in my opinion the best song ever released by GN'R. Better is among top 15. Those two songs alone are sufficient to want more.

No man is invincible. I think Axl thought he was but found out the truth in the end.

Saying that, I don't think there is anyone here who didn't want Axl to be back on top with Chinese Democracy. We all wanted him to succeed.

No man is invincible. I think Axl thought he was but found out the truth in the end.

Saying that, I don't think there is anyone here who didn't want Axl to be back on top with Chinese Democracy. We all wanted him to succeed.

so true. and yet we are called haters.

Isn't that funny?

The "haters" are the people who actually hoped Axl would succeed, take over the rock world again, release several killer albums, sell out stadiums around the world - just like in the old days. And WE are the ones who think that he still has the skills and talent to do that.

I guess to be a "real" fan I need to stop hoping Axl will be successful, be glad we got one album over the past 20 years and NOT wish he'd put out more music/videos/interviews, and be glad that he is playing Vegas, weddings and small venues.

What a screwed up place this forum is.

Isn't that funny?

The "haters" are the people who actually hoped Axl would succeed, take over the rock world again, release several killer albums, sell out stadiums around the world - just like in the old days. And WE are the ones who think that he still has the skills and talent to do that.

I guess to be a "real" fan I need to stop hoping Axl will be successful, be glad we got one album over the past 20 years and NOT wish he'd put out more music/videos/interviews, and be glad that he is playing Vegas, weddings and small venues.

What a screwed up place this forum is.

I wanted Axl to succeed and do all things that you put, Grogan. But, when I saw Rock In Rio 2011 I saw a completely different Axl Rose. And it's been the same since.

It sucks too, becuase he's a very talented musician, but he's been downgraded to a nostalgia act. I would love for Axl to rule the rock music world again. To be on the front page of Rolling Stone magazine, playing on award shows, releasing music every few years.

And yet, some of us that want that to happen are the "haters." When all we really want is our favorite frontman to be the best he could possibly be.

On topic: I don't think Axl is one to admit and accept defeat. But, the longer he stays in the ring without a break, the more he's going to get knocked down. I think the whole fiasco with Chinese Democracy could have out a damper in any plans he had going forward as it pertains to new music. It's also possible that he lost the determination, the drive to be the biggest band in the world again with a new band.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

The whole it's common for somebody of "gnrs" type to have a five year wait is bullshit, because there's few bands, if any, you can relate to Axl's situation.

Yes, it's common for older bands to take 4-5 years in between releases, but at the same time, a lot of these older bands have given us 2-4 albums in the span Axl had just given us one. On top of that, Axl openly stated, more than once that he had been working on multiple albums in that 15 year span.

So for us to get nothing but very little, sometimes very cryptic, information from the head honcho himself; well, I can understand why those who still care (for whatever reason) are frustrated as all hell.

At the core, if Axl doesn't release another album, it's admitting defeat to the powers who "screwed up" his CD vision. It's saying "Ok, you got me, and from now on I'll live a sub-par musical existence." This guy doesn't take a hit on the chin and cower away from it. If anything he grows more determined at the hand of his adversaries.

All this talk about GN'R being over or dying a slow death and no hope of new music in the future, just doesn't fit with his character IMO. I think he simply isn't motivated at the moment and doesn't have anything of great personal note to say - at the moment. But he will. He's an artist. And to borrow an infamous GN'R line, "when the time is right" for him, and he has something to say, music will arrive. Axl isn't in any rush because he doesn't give a shit what anyone wants him to do or when he should do it. He's also no longer a reckless impulsive adolescent but a settled middle aged man. But don't doubt he doesn't give a shit about his self identity as an artist and his music. And it's this that will drive another album.

If axl was as self-assured as you claim to know he was; CD would have came out in 99-2000; but he tinkered with it for 9 yrs cause he's got no balls and no belief in his new band. All that label shit was a distraction from this key point that his confidence in himself and band is shot, dead, zero.

Maybe.

You arent entitled to anything. You dont owe anyone anything.

I bet the record company and possibly Best Buy feel differently.

You're misunderstanding what I said initially. Firstly I was saying that when people say "you aren't entitled to anything", that sounds kind of righteous etc., but then what that garners is also "You don't owe anyone anything" either. It's kind of a paradox.

I wasn't refering to Axl or Best Buy. Best buy may have thought they were entitled to Axl helping them or that Axl owes the label an album for free, I don't know.

As much as you arent entitled to anything, you dont owe the world anything.

That makes no sense.

fanatism never makes sense.

That's kind of what I was trying to say. It's like you're saying to yourself "I'm not entitled to anything, I'm gonna go out into the world and earn it" but at the same time "You don't owe anyone anything."

It's a dilemma.