What can Axl do? What advice would you give him?

Blusky Grenfield

If you were sitting at a table with Axl doing a brainstorm thing of some sort about what could be done better in GN'R - what sort of advice and suggestions would you provide him with? Here's what I would throw at him:

- If you don't feel like performing, cancel the show rather than going through the motions for the sake of contractual obligations, it's killing you inside. I'd take a passionate no show Axl over a going through the motions Axl any day. If you cancel a show don't leave people in the dark, provide some sort of explanation. If you got a strep throat you got a fucking strep throat. It's not your fault. If you're depressed you're fucking depressed. It's not your fault. No point doing a show when you are sick. You're a human being and an artist, not a product. Act accordingly.

- YouTube has long replaced MTV when it comes to music. Stop fucking ignoring that and use it to your advance. Make a viral worthy video and upload it to YT to provide a counter force to all those lousy and truly embarassing all so "professional" concert videos and crappy phone videos up there. Give them something sweet and likeable to chew on. Bring your kittens. YouTube loves kittens. Seriously man it's 2013, no one gives a fuck about your hair or your leather jacket. Provide some escapeism, something they can share at work or on Facebook. A cute little kitten sleeping on a piano, while the lead singer of Guns N' Roses is playing a super emotional song on it, that's what I'm talking about. Hint: It only works when the kitten gets more screentime than you, not because YT hates you but because YT loves kittens.

- Try and get a NEW song out there and maybe in a GOOD movie or a high profile ad of some sort. One that actually happens and is seen by people. Not some studio 'we got a song/movie to pitch' bullshit. Talk to Mickey Rourke, he loves your music and knows a shitload of people in the industry. Talk to anyone in Hollywood. They love your music. They wear your fucking t-shirts and drop the name of your band in films because it makes them look cool. Why the fuck don't you use that to your advance?

- You don't have to dress LIKE Axl Rose. You ARE Axl Rose. Like the wise man Jeff Bebe once said: "Your looks have become a problem." DJ might be the coolest guy on earth but you should not look to him for dresscode inspiration. That badass cane and jewelry would come out ten thousand times cooler with say just a simple classic black suit.

- Consider showing some self irony and your funny side every once in a while. And if you have a bad day just let it out as long as no one gets hurt that's cool. Your rants were awesome. I miss them. You don't have to save the world in between songs but please start CONNECTING again. Consider taking off the hat and glasses on stage. You're not a country poser and you're not auditioning for Miami Vice. You're a musician. You NEED to connect.

I will probably get a load of supersmart one-liners from supersmart people posting from their phones, but I'm not talking to those dickheads. I'm talking to the fans who are still caring and checking in here every once in a while only to find themselves wondering what the fuck is going on. Are you out there? Then please come in and join me. I'd appreciate this not turning into a hate or reunion thread or being moved to where no one gets to read it. Thank you.

Edited by Blusky Grenfield

The cane and jewelery aren't "bad-ass" though to anybody over the age of 15.

But the rest of your points are pretty good.

Release new music on a regular basis, do some interviews and show up for shows on time. Give your millions of fans a treat by also releasing some music videos, live DVDs and behind the stage footage type dvds.

Pretty simple stuff.

besides release new music... i would say at-least get back into 2010 physical and vocal shape. Grow his hair a little longer, get ride of the cane. I was at a gamestop recently buying my son a video game and some fat gamer douche of a guy came in with the black cane with skull handle and all I could think of is how that now ruined Axl's look for me.

- If you can't whistle the melody, there is no melody.

- If it doesn't work with just a piano or an acoustic guitar, it might still be an awesome piece of music but it's not a song. And no one will ever play it themselves on a guitar or piano at home or anywhere to anyone. Cultural relevance doesn't mean airplay and sales. It means people practicing your songs on guitar, teaching them to students, playing them in bars and singing them at campfires. Chinese Democracy is none of these.

- Lyrics need to be relateable. They don't have to be shallow and easy and spoonfed their meaning, but they have to deal with subject matters that also exist in other peoples lives or else its just masturbation and not communication. I can relate to the lyrics of 'Street Of Dreams' and 'Better' but what the fuck do TWAT, Chinese Democracy, Riad and IRS really tell me about MY life? Or yours for that matter? Absolutely nothing. And I like your music.

- There's only two kinds of music: The music you wanna dance, drink and get laid to and the music you wanna sit down, think and comtemplate over. Do yourself a favour and stop trying to mix fire and water into something totally unique and individual. Water will either extinguish the fire or be turned into nothing but steam and hot air by it.

Edited by Blusky Grenfield

- If you can't whistle the melody, there is no melody.

- If it doesn't work with just a piano or an acoustic guitar, it might still be an awesome piece of music but it's not a song. And no one will ever play it themselves on a guitar or piano at home or anywhere to anyone. Cultural relevance doesn't mean airplay and sales. It means people practicing your songs on guitar, teaching them to students, playing them in bars and singing them at campfires. Chinese Democracy is none of these.

- Lyrics need to be relateable. They don't have to be shallow and easy and spoonfed their meaning, but they have to deal with subject matters that also exist in other peoples lives or else its just masturbation and not communication. I can relate to the lyrics of 'Street Of Dreams' and 'Better' but what the fuck do TWAT, Chinese Democracy, Riad and IRS really tell me about MY life? Or yours for that matter? Absolutely nothing. And I like your music.

- There's only two kinds of music: The music you wanna dance, drink and get laid to and the music you wanna sit down, think and comtemplate over. Do yourself a favour and stop trying to mix fire and water into something totally unique and individual. Water will either extinguish the fire or be turned into nothing but steam and hot air by it.

You have some absurd views on what music should and shouldn't be.

As a financial adviser I would just tell him to keep on doing what he's doing; keep the mouth shut, tour all over South America to suck the money out of those fools, maybe work on the voice a little bit and lose some weight, perhaps sing the National Anthem at a baseball game just to let people know you're still alive and planning on staying in Las Vegas for a few months.

Let's be blunt here everyone. His music career is shot dead. He makes his living off of touring the greatest hits.

I would also try to convince him to release another greatest hits collection assuming he won't be met with a lot of lawsuits.

I think there comes a point where Axl doesnt need the money. So his career becomes less what that means. What the Best Buy deal did was keep GNR up there with ACDC, Metallica, U2, BonJovi.

They may be way behind but they are there. And could easily not be the case. It seems like a minor miracle but they have toured their asses off.

So from the example of CD, Axl had something he wanted to do and hell do it inspite of himself.

Is that what he always does?

at this point will he just mail in a record to appease certain fans? You can say sorry you have to be like every other band and release records. But on past experience we know thats not how he operates.

But he could change the mission statement. Maybe he wants to do a more of Bon Motely record with Dj.

Thats part of problem with regards to industry, its really awkward to want make distinctly different records and struggle to make them. And even the fans dont care that much, theyd prob take AFD 2.

Edited by wasted

My advice to Axl would be to regain his health. Stop drinking and taking all drugs/meds completely. Axl is already a really cool guy without that stuff, so why be dependant on substances that will only bring you down(in the long run)? I would offer to be his personal trainer(and best friend) and get him on an intense workout regimen that would get him back to his 2001/2002 shape in less than 2 months. Weights and 40 minutes of cardio on the Stairmaster stepmill everyday. I'd be by his side the whole time offering positive motivation and help. I believe that if he regained his health it would be positive in many aspects. His voice would improve, his confidence/swagger will improve, which will in turn give him that charismatic stage presence that he used to deliver. Not only that, but he'll be much happier and more motivated than he currently is. He's definitely not past the point of return and shouldn't just give up on the dreams he once had for himself and the new Guns N' Roses. I'd help him bring back that same fire and passion he showed at Rock in Rio III.

Edited by DannyVinyard