Who should produce the next album (if there will ever be one)?

Blusky Grenfield

Andy Wallace. He did a pretty good job in the demos, most sounded better than the final cuts in the album.

But Axl and Caram will produce it anyways and it will feature fuckups much like the leftover hicup on Scraped and the dry cut on Bumble's solo in CITR.

Not Rick Rubin. His newer albums sound like garbage. I cannot see the Rubin work method suiting Axl either. Rubin usually has about six bands recording at various LA studios at the same time. He usually drops in for 40 mins, says 'I like that, I do not like that etc'' then disappears for the rest of the day!

Ezrin actually worked on Democracy briefly (circa October 2000 to Feb 2001) as A&R man and it didn't work out. As a producer it could work, but Ezrin is very 'hands on' and often receives co-songwriting credits on the albums he works on. The children's chorus on 'Another Brick In The Wall Part 2' was done, solely by Ezrin, without Floyd's knoweldge. They arrived the next day and found out Bob had done it (thankfully, they loved it). Could Axl work with somebody like that? Perhaps - I will leave it for you to decide.

To answer the question though, the obvious answer is either Clink or Caram again. Clink achieved an incredible sound on Appetite. He is, more an engineer/sound guy - getting the best sound - than a guy who acts like an extra band member (e.g Ezrin). But choosing Clink again might be seen as, too much nostalgia by Axl. Also, is Clink versed in the overdubs and electronic stuff that Axl likes to deliver on his modern productions? Re-utilising Caram is also a decent option. The simple fact is, Axl went through multiple producers (the two biggies being, Beaven and Roy Thomas Baker), engineers and Geffen's entire A&R dept to complete Democracy yet Caram outlasted them all. Caram was just an engineer when he started but obviously he worked for Axl and got moved up.

Not Rick Rubin. His newer albums sound like garbage. I cannot see the Rubin work method suiting Axl either. Rubin usually has about six bands recording at various LA studios at the same time. He usually drops in for 40 mins, says 'I like that, I do not like that etc'' then disappears for the rest of the day!

Ezrin actually worked on Democracy briefly (circa October 2000 to Feb 2001) as A&R man and it didn't work out. As a producer it could work, but Ezrin is very 'hands on' and often receives co-songwriting credits on the albums he works on. The children's chorus on 'Another Brick In The Wall Part 2' was done, solely by Ezrin, without Floyd's knoweldge. They arrived the next day and found out Bob had done it (thankfully, they loved it). Could Axl work with somebody like that? Perhaps - I will leave it for you to decide.

You could be right about him trying to have too much influence and making it so Bob Ezrin. Destroyer by Kiss is an example of this although the results are great.

I'd actually just read this story about his meeting Axl and discussing CD, from http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=12688 :

"HC: I’ve read that at some point during the Guns N” Roses lengthy “Chinese Democracy” recordings, Axl Rose called you to evaluate what he had already done. What really happened?

Bob Ezrin: Hm.. Well.. (ed:pause) I’m not sure!! (laughs)

HC: I’ve read that you told him he had about 2 ½ songs or 3 ½ songs. Something like that.

Bob Ezrin: Yeah, I probably did. It started off when Jimmy Iovine (ed: producer, chairman of Interscope/ Geffen) asked me for a big favour. They were stuck, they were stuck in a studio in North Hollywood for years with Roy Thomas Baker (ed: Queen’s producer), and nothing was happening. They were paying enormous rental bills and they were paying people to sit around the studio waiting for Axl to show up and it was just a disaster.

I agreed to go there immediately and listen to a bunch of stuff. What I heard was – I don’t know how to say this without be insulting, I don’t want to be insulting because he worked very hard on it – but what I heard was something that he had painted over too many times. So, by the time I heard it, the original content was lost and it was just a highly produced piece of something… Anyway, I agreed to help out if Axl would agree to work with me, which he did. He had the idea that the only person who could finish the album with him was me, based on what I don’t know.

I came, I listened, I said to him I will listen and will give you notes we will see together. I spent a lot of time listening. I went to see Jimmy Iovine and I gave him my perception of the situation, including the fact that they had to get out of Rumbo Studios immediately – not because Rumbo is a bad studio, it’s a wonderful studio – but because they needed to be closer to the scrutiny of the record company and Jimmy’s team, so there could be at least some measure of control. And I recommended we move them to the Village Recorder in West Hollywood. So, they did that, and moved everybody there.

I had to wait to talk to Axl because he avoided me. He was nervous about hearing what I had to say. We finally met, on a night when my wife – who was then my girlfriend – came down from Toronto to visit me and we were having a dinner with friends at my house. She was cooking when I got a phone call from Jimmy Iovine saying that I needed to come meet Axl and I said “I can’t tonight. I’m booked”. And Jimmy replied saying “ok” (laughs).

No he didn’t. When he wants something, he really knows how to get it. Anyway, he basically guilt-tripped me and I told him “Ok, I will be there at 8pm and I will leave there at 8.30, whether Axl shows up or not”, because that was Axl. Because last time we had an appointment at 10pm and Axl showed up at 2 in the morning. “So tell Axl that’s it”. I went to the restaurant at 8 and a team of Axl supporters and hangers-on showed up and joined me at the table – and no Axl. Axl finally came about 8:25 (laughs).

Anyway, I told him basically what you’ve heard. I didn’t tell him “you have 2 ½ songs” and when he sat down, he started telling me that he has finished the record. And I said “Axl, we are not ready to mix this record. This record isn’t ready to be mixed”. I said “there are two great songs on it and I know that you’re capable of more, that’s the reason why I’m here. You’re such a great talent and I would do you a disservice if I didn’t tell you the truth, which is that most of the songs aren’t great. But I‘m very happy to help you get there and I believe that it’s possible, if you would like to continue to work on the record, to make it better”.

He said “I don’t agree with that. We are ready to mix”. And I told him “you have my number, if you change your mind let me know, but I have a dinner party at home now and I had to go”. I left and I haven’t heard from him since. It was years later when it came out. "

Kind of a bit overbearing to offer to save the day after saying "I think you've only got 2 or 3 good songs" and leave a band having to live with that story forever after if it ever happened!

At this point whatever a producer does has been, they are just recording parts and working up old material?

If it was a new project with Dj as the focus, probably Bob Rock or Ross Robinson. Just for big names.

Btw DD, I completely agree with your thoughts about Rick Rubin.

Ezrin might be ok if he came in early on in the process this time and helped make it about GN'R first and foremost. He did a good job of revitalizing KISS' sound (with all due credit to Bruce Kulick for kicking ass on that record, well all of them really, except for a song or two) with Revenge.

Edited by machinegunner

I think we need to know if Axl tends to pursue the more experimental direction or go back to a rootsy thing. CD was good but the tape loops and overdubs didn't really work - or, it certainly didn't catch on with the public - and with people like DJ Ashba in the band, it tends to make one think that he might try a more rock n' roll sound. It is alright to namecheck Reznor and Caram for the former but it makes no sense whatsoever for the latter (or vice versa).

you guys are seriously picking some random guy on the internet over Rick Rubin? jesusfuckingchrist, this place is full of fucking imbeciles.

have you not listened to any of his recently produced albums?