Best Queen album?

Vincent Vega

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

You might like the Hot Space album then, Queen does gay disco.

I just remember hearing it when i was little when it first came out and my sister saying he wrote it whilst he had AIDS (dunno how true that is) and i remember thinking wow, i mean you think songs about death you think doom and gloom and misery and wrenching guitars and yet you got this upbeat dance track, albeit with not exactly upbeat lyrics but...it just sounds like someone putting a brave face on something and trying to...i dunno, it just has this real genuine human quality to it that i've never forgetton. 'got to be some good times ahead' fuckin' hell Fred :(

Nile Rodgers prob. should have produced Hot Space if they wanted to do a disco/funk album, but Queen with the Chic girls in the background? I don't know how it would've panned out.

The band said part of the problem was the guy Freddie was dating at the time was giving his feedback on the songs and affected the course of the album. The saving grace is Under Pressure. They never should have gone to Munich to make it and stayed in NYC to make it.

The focus wasn't there and it came through on the album. I'm sure there were drugs involved, and none of them would deny it.

All this information on his love life has been coming out of the woodwork lately. I've never even heard of Bill Reid until earlier today. Now I've read that Freddie was sexually abused a number of times during childhood which supposedly fucked up his love life. The way I see it is that he needed men to get off but women to love him. If that makes sense.

Yes, the band was split between Deacon/Mercury who wanted to lead the band into a disco direction, and May/Taylor who were the rockers. They were recording in some ghastly cold war building in Germany and May was hitting the bottle as he was getting a divorce and there was a fair bit of coke. Not a good time.

Hot Space is one of those notoriously 'bad' albums (a bit like St Anger). Even Mercury said it was crap when they were touring it. Live however, the material sounds better. There was a lot of promise there but the production ruined it.

Staying Power and Back Chat were amazing during the Milton Keyes concert. I think The Works showed the band reached a compromise. You have a well represented band. Deacon for I Want to Break Free, Freddie for Its a Hard Life, Roger for Radio Gaga and Brian for Hammer to Fall.

I just remember hearing it when i was little when it first came out and my sister saying he wrote it whilst he had AIDS (dunno how true that is) and i remember thinking wow, i mean you think songs about death you think doom and gloom and misery and wrenching guitars and yet you got this upbeat dance track, albeit with not exactly upbeat lyrics but...it just sounds like someone putting a brave face on something and trying to...i dunno, it just has this real genuine human quality to it that i've never forgetton. 'got to be some good times ahead' fuckin' hell Fred :(

People also say Bohemian Rhapsody and Who Wants To Live Forever were written about Freddie having AIDS.

Guest Len B'stard

People also say Bohemian Rhapsody and Who Wants To Live Forever were written about Freddie having AIDS.

Really? How so with Bohemian Rhapsody?

Bohemian Rhapsody was written in 1975, years before AIDS became known. Either Freddie had extraordinary premonition or someone who came up with that theory is a moron.

I'm not sure, I think it was the "Mama, just killed a man, put a gun against his head, pulled the trigger, now he's dead" being about giving someone else AIDS. Pure BS, just something I've heard before.

And of course Who Wants to Live Forever wasn't even written by Mercury.

Bohemian Rhapsody:

"Too late, my time has come

Sends shivers down my spine
Body's aching all the time
Goodbye everybody - I've got to go
Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth
Mama, ooo - (anyway the wind blows)
I don't want to die
I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all"

Bohemian Rhapsody:

I don't want to die

Nothing to do with AIDS.

Bohemian Rhapsody:

I don't want to die

Nothing to do with AIDS.

I know, it was written years before Freddie likely even contracted it, but people who go by the "Bohemian Rhapsody is about AIDs" theory usually reference that line.

And they are idiots. Because AIDS wasn't known to the public at the time.

I know.

I wonder, a little off topic, but I wonder when Freddie caught AIDs? He was diagnosed in 1987 but I'm not sure if it was still HIV or if the disease had proceeded to AIDs at that point.

And they are idiots. Because AIDS wasn't known to the public at the time.

I know.

I wonder, a little off topic, but I wonder when Freddie caught AIDs? He was diagnosed in 1987 but I'm not sure if it was still HIV or if the disease had proceeded to AIDs at that point.

Speculation is he contracted HIV in the early 80s while spending time in New York.

38661524.jpg

D5235946-0360-4272-AAFB-E0F75FF5D032-112

I am also aware that Bohemian Rhapsody is a critically acclaimed song, but I still think it's shit. Aren't opinions wonderful?

I would also like to point out that I can't find a single Queen song I enjoy.

I suppose I'm just bitter because when I was fourteen I biked four miles to the record store to get into music, and people told me Queen was a good band, so I bought a copy of their greatest hits. When I found out the songs were awful I was crushed. The good news is I am a firm believer in recycling so it made a good coaster for glassware and a decent frisbee in the park. CDs have multiple uses.

D5235946-0360-4272-AAFB-E0F75FF5D032-112

I am also aware that Bohemian Rhapsody is a critically acclaimed song, but I still think it's shit. Aren't opinions wonderful?

I would also like to point out that I can't find a single Queen song I enjoy.

I suppose I'm just bitter because when I was fourteen I biked four miles to the record store to get into music, and people told me Queen was a good band, so I bought a copy of their greatest hits. When I found out the songs were awful I was crushed. The good news is I am a firm believer in recycling so it made a good coaster for glassware and a decent frisbee in the park. CDs have multiple uses.

You're a fucking moron.

IPz2K.gif