Guns N' Roses to play Les Plaines d'Abraham on July 12th in Quebec city

bumblecool

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Critics aren't that good... Some snippets:

"GNR leave the fans on their appetite", "Questionnable songs choice", "lack of rythme"

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/artsetspectacles/general/archives/2013/07/20130713-073840.html

"A show not well rounded", "Axl wants his band to shine (or take a break), so there are plenty of solos, which was not helping for the rythme of the show", "As if it wasn't enough, Rose was a shadow of himself half of the time, struggling to deliver the material, was hitting wrong notes, and was out of breath", "the projections on the screen were not helping to entertain", "Unfortunately, nothing memorable"

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/dossiers/festival-dete/201307/13/01-4670437-guns-nroses-en-retard-malgre-tout.php

There are some good commentaries in favor of the performance in these articles but mostly it's not good critics...

I find it quite strange that they both say almost the same thing. Did they attend the show together and talked about it? :question:

They seem to be disappointed because they didn't get what they expected (= only appetite?), now they both say too that the band was awesome and that they're great musicians, and they both really enjoyed DJ Ashba.

I find it quite strange too that they say the crowd was "very patient" at the begining, could it be that they DID enjoy the show but couldn't be as involved because they didn't know the songs? :shrugs:

I liked the videos you posted too. I don't think Axl sound that bad.

(PS: I still disagree with you, but I still don't want to fight! :kiss: )

It's true they basicaly say the same thing... but that was the general consensus of the night I think... I talked to another person today who attended the show, he said everybody was disapointed... I don't know, I'm just repeating what he said to me...

It wasn't planned but I went tonight at the festival. Foreigner and def Leppard were the bands playing. I'm not even a Foreigner fan and I must say they really nailed it. The crowd really enjoyed the show. The singer even dived into the crowd lol...

You know, there really is something wrong when Foreigner is giving a better show than GNR... Too much often Axl makes the wrong decisions. Last night wasn't a good show for this festival. There were 80 000 people. It was not a GNR show, it's a festival. People go to have a good time, to hear songs they know. They should have played the classics. Not songs from CD, no boring solo and no cover songs from other bands. That's ridiculous... They played the same setlist as usual, as if they can't play other GNR songs... What the hell is wrong with the other GNR songs? I can complain all I want but it's Axl who is to blame... The guy can't make good decisions. He can't.

I know you probably don't agree with me but I can't agree about what Axl is doing.

I hope you forgive me :D

There's nothing to be forgiven, we only disagree! ^_^

I guess, when they play a show they have to like what they play too? Maybe giving a "crowd pleasing" show is less fun for them?

"GNR leave the fans on their appetite", "Questionnable songs choice", "lack of rythme"

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/artsetspectacles/general/archives/2013/07/20130713-073840.html

"A show not well rounded", "Axl wants his band to shine (or take a break), so there are plenty of solos, which was not helping for the rythme of the show", "As if it wasn't enough, Rose was a shadow of himself half of the time, struggling to deliver the material, was hitting wrong notes, and was out of breath", "the projections on the screen were not helping to entertain", "Unfortunately, nothing memorable"

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/dossiers/festival-dete/201307/13/01-4670437-guns-nroses-en-retard-malgre-tout.php

There are some good commentaries in favor of the performance in these articles but mostly it's not good critics...

I find it quite strange that they both say almost the same thing. Did they attend the show together and talked about it? :question:

They seem to be disappointed because they didn't get what they expected (= only appetite?), now they both say too that the band was awesome and that they're great musicians, and they both really enjoyed DJ Ashba.

I find it quite strange too that they say the crowd was "very patient" at the begining, could it be that they DID enjoy the show but couldn't be as involved because they didn't know the songs? :shrugs:

It's true they basicaly say the same thing... but that was the general consensus of the night I think... I talked to another person today who attended the show, he said everybody was disapointed... I don't know, I'm just repeating what he said to me...

It wasn't planned but I went tonight at the festival. Foreigner and def Leppard were the bands playing. I'm not even a Foreigner fan and I must say they really nailed it. The crowd really enjoyed the show. The singer even dived into the crowd lol...

You know, there really is something wrong when Foreigner is giving a better show than GNR... Too much often Axl makes the wrong decisions. Last night wasn't a good show for this festival. There were 80 000 people. It was not a GNR show, it's a festival. People go to have a good time, to hear songs they know. They should have played the classics. Not songs from CD, no boring solo and no cover songs from other bands. That's ridiculous... They played the same setlist as usual, as if they can't play other GNR songs... What the hell is wrong with the other GNR songs? I can complain all I want but it's Axl who is to blame... The guy can't make good decisions. He can't.

I know you probably don't agree with me but I can't agree about what Axl is doing.

I guess, when they play a show they have to like what they play too? Maybe giving a "crowd pleasing" show is less fun for them?

Let's face it, there's no artistic merit in them performing this show - virtually the same as it has been for 12 years - at this point. The least they could do is please the people who've paid to see them.

The thing is a great performance of Estranged or This I Love would be incredible to anyone with a passing interest in rock music regardless of whether or not they've ever heard the song before. Axl doesn't seem engaged, therefore the show isn't engaging. Guy needs to start giving a shit pretty soon or this band isn't going to last, which would be a massive shame as I doubt Axl could assemble such a talented bunch again. These are good musicians and they should be making new music. Of course that's not where the money is, so instead we get this. There's no spark or passion in Axl right now.

I know one thing for damn sure - reuniting the old band would be Axl's ultimate declaration of defeat and it sure as hell wouldn't pull him out of the doldrums.

Edited by tomfriend

eat a dick you fuckin cupcakes... this shits awesome!!! : rock3:

That was pretty good.

I've been to shows where they got trashed in the press or online, and some of the online recordings might not have been the best quality - iphone mic's, some frequencies missing or distorted....and I read the articles in the papers and the online posts and just shake my head. Axl is like a magnet for the press' shit, and in today's day and age when the people are the press with all these sites, he still seem to be a magnet.

I have yet to be to a disappointing gnr show, and I've seen a bunch.

Let's face it, there's no artistic merit in them performing this show - virtually the same as it has been for 12 years - at this point. The least they could do is please the people who've paid to see them.

The thing is a great performance of Estranged or This I Love would be incredible to anyone with a passing interest in rock music regardless of whether or not they've ever heard the song before. Axl doesn't seem engaged, therefore the show isn't engaging. Guy needs to start giving a shit pretty soon or this band isn't going to last, which would be a massive shame as I doubt Axl could assemble such a talented bunch again. These are good musicians and they should be making new music. Of course that's not where the money is, so instead we get this. There's no spark or passion in Axl right now.

I know one thing for damn sure - reuniting the old band would be Axl's ultimate declaration of defeat and it sure as hell wouldn't pull him out of the doldrums.

They've added "old" songs like estranged because the fans wanted it isn't it?

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how they could ever achieve to "please the crowd" as there seem to be so many different people in it. If they only play appetite or UYI songs they'll be labelled "nostalgia acts" by some, other will complain they didn't get to hear new songs. If they do play new songs, others will complain they didn't want to hear it. If they release new music, there's probably will be people who won't want to hear it either!

No spark or passion? I'm not sure I understand what you actually expect from him?

Holy shit... I'm so sick of the "places that still tolerate us" World Tour... This is so boring.

Well, no one forces you to follow the tour. I´m sure you have better things to do than wasting your time following the tour of a band that plays in places that still tolerate them where, unlike some of us, people are lucky to attend a GNR show and have fun.

Volcano, I´m glad you had fun, the place seems awesome.

Holy shit... I'm so sick of the "places that still tolerate us" World Tour... This is so boring.

Well, no one forces you to follow the tour. I´m sure you have better things to do than wasting your time following the tour of a band that plays in places that still tolerate them where, unlike some of us, people are lucky to attend a GNR show and have fun.

No one forces to follow the tour. I'm just sad to see my all-time favorite band, and my all-time favorite songwriter stuck in autopilot, wasting his remaining active years on this shit. It's such a waste. :cry:

No one forces to follow the tour. I'm just sad to see my all-time favorite band, and my all-time favorite songwriter stuck in autopilot, wasting his remaining active years on this shit. It's such a waste. :cry:

I would love to attend one of those shows you consider a waste since I haven´t had the chance to attend a GNR show since 2006. We all want new music but as of now things are the way they are and unfortunately it´s out of our hands to change things. I understand how you feel but think that at least he is active and touring and that is better than him remaining silent.

It's only my opinion but there is no reason to play 5 covers at a show, at a festival. We're talking about Guns N Roses... why play that many covers? I don't understand. There is no excuse. And if they can't alter the setlist for just one show it's kind of sad... The problem is not only the choice of songs though. We all know Axl is running back stage during a show but the majority of people are not aware of that. My brother and his girlfriend didn't know that (as for many people in the crowd that night I'm sure), and for them it's just weird to see the singer always disapearing during songs. Axl said he feels like a idiot when he's not singing but he just has to stand in the side or in a corner and clap his hands or whatever, interact with the crowd, but not disapear. What most people who don't follow the band have in mind is the Axl of the early 90's, a skinny guy with a powerful voice. It's understandable that when they see a guy hiding with a hat and sunglasses they are somewhat disapointed... and the voice is not the same so that's another thing...

Edited by Kapitch_77

Again, just my opinion, but a better setlist for these kind of festivals (not in order):

It's so easy

Nightrain

Mr. Brownstone

Sweet child

You're crazy

Rocket Queen

Patience

Move to the City

Live and Let Die

Don't Cry

Bad Obsession

Chinese Democracy

Double talkin Jive

November rain

Knocking On Heavens Door

Dead Horse

Civil War

Yesterday

You Could Be mine

Estranged

Paradise City

That's 21 songs, add a piano solo (from Axl) and a little guitar solo to that. That doesn't change how Axl sings but to me it's definatly a better show.

Yeah Estranged was awesome...I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's a different beast in person.

Glad you had fun volcano!

Thanks! You would have enjoyed it as well!

Again, just my opinion, but a better setlist for these kind of festivals (not in order):

It's so easy

Nightrain

Mr. Brownstone

Sweet child

You're crazy

Rocket Queen

Patience

Move to the City

Live and Let Die

Don't Cry

Bad Obsession

Chinese Democracy

Double talkin Jive

November rain

Knocking On Heavens Door

Dead Horse

Civil War

Yesterday

You Could Be mine

Estranged

Paradise City

That's 21 songs, add a piano solo (from Axl) and a little guitar solo to that. That doesn't change how Axl sings but to me it's definatly a better show.

I disagree completely. I was there and I have to say the set list was perfect. Everyone had a great time.

They've added "old" songs like estranged because the fans wanted it isn't it?

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how they could ever achieve to "please the crowd" as there seem to be so many different people in it. If they only play appetite or UYI songs they'll be labelled "nostalgia acts" by some, other will complain they didn't get to hear new songs. If they do play new songs, others will complain they didn't want to hear it. If they release new music, there's probably will be people who won't want to hear it either!

No spark or passion? I'm not sure I understand what you actually expect from him?

Singing like he actually gives a shit would be a good start.

Yeah Estranged was awesome...I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's a different beast in person.

It's so easy

Nightrain

Mr. Brownstone

Sweet child

You're crazy

Rocket Queen

Patience

Move to the City

Live and Let Die

Don't Cry

Bad Obsession

Chinese Democracy

Double talkin Jive

November rain

Knocking On Heavens Door

Dead Horse

Civil War

Yesterday

You Could Be mine

Estranged

Paradise City

I disagree completely. I was there and I have to say the set list was perfect. Everyone had a great time.

How come the people I talk to say they were disapointed? You heard nobody say that they were disapointed?

It's so easy

Nightrain

Mr. Brownstone

Sweet child

You're crazy

Rocket Queen

Patience

Move to the City

Live and Let Die

Don't Cry

Bad Obsession

Chinese Democracy

Double talkin Jive

November rain

Knocking On Heavens Door

Dead Horse

Civil War

Yesterday

You Could Be mine

Estranged

Paradise City

How come the people I talk to say they were disapointed? You heard nobody say that they were disapointed?

Do you think there could perhaps be TWO different sets of people in a crowd of 80,000? Actually no, sorry, fuck it. Stupid idea.

It's so easy

Nightrain

Mr. Brownstone

Sweet child

You're crazy

Rocket Queen

Patience

Move to the City

Live and Let Die

Don't Cry

Bad Obsession

Chinese Democracy

Double talkin Jive

November rain

Knocking On Heavens Door

Dead Horse

Civil War

Yesterday

You Could Be mine

Estranged

Paradise City

Do you think there could perhaps be TWO different sets of people in a crowd of 80,000? Actually no, sorry, fuck it. Stupid idea.

There are people who loved it, like Volcano, and others surely, yes. I'm not saying 80 000 people hated the show. But from what I hear a lot of people were disapointed, that's what I'm saying.

It's only my opinion but there is no reason to play 5 covers at a show, at a festival. We're talking about Guns N Roses... why play that many covers? I don't understand. There is no excuse. And if they can't alter the setlist for just one show it's kind of sad... The problem is not only the choice of songs though. We all know Axl is running back stage during a show but the majority of people are not aware of that. My brother and his girlfriend didn't know that (as for many people in the crowd that night I'm sure), and for them it's just weird to see the singer always disapearing during songs. Axl said he feels like a idiot when he's not singing but he just has to stand in the side or in a corner and clap his hands or whatever, interact with the crowd, but not disapear. What most people who don't follow the band have in mind is the Axl of the early 90's, a skinny guy with a powerful voice. It's understandable that when they see a guy hiding with a hat and sunglasses they are somewhat disapointed... and the voice is not the same so that's another thing...

They've always enjoyed covers, I don't see why it would change now. What about Knocking on heaven's door and Live and let die? Why would they need an excuse now?

Now I understand/agree it can be really surprising to see Axl now if you remember the Axl from the 90's! That's too bad he doesn't want to make more interviews, and people get used to see him now. He still has this "magnetism" even if he's not as thin as he used to. (Doesn't mean he's fat either)

It's so easy

Nightrain

Mr. Brownstone

Sweet child

You're crazy

Rocket Queen

Patience

Move to the City

Live and Let Die

Don't Cry

Bad Obsession

Chinese Democracy

Double talkin Jive

November rain

Knocking On Heavens Door

Dead Horse

Civil War

Yesterday

You Could Be mine

Estranged

Paradise City

There's a lot of songs in that list that a lot of people don't know too! Move to the city? Bad obsession? Double talking jive? Dead horse?

I'd personnally love to hear Locomotive, but I don't think it will ever happen! :tongue2:

You heard nobody say that they were disapointed?

Nope none at all. Everyone was just signing along...im assuming they were all having a great time and were not disappointed?

I'm glad you had a good time Volcano!Nice to hear a good review of the show! :)

They've always enjoyed covers, I don't see why it would change now. What about Knocking on heaven's door and Live and let die? Why would they need an excuse now?

Now I understand/agree it can be really surprising to see Axl now if you remember the Axl from the 90's! That's too bad he doesn't want to make more interviews, and people get used to see him now. He still has this "magnetism" even if he's not as thin as he used to. (Doesn't mean he's fat either)

It's so easy

Nightrain

Mr. Brownstone

Sweet child

You're crazy

Rocket Queen

Patience

Move to the City

Live and Let Die

Don't Cry

Bad Obsession

Chinese Democracy

Double talkin Jive

November rain

Knocking On Heavens Door

Dead Horse

Civil War

Yesterday

You Could Be mine

Estranged

Paradise City

There's a lot of songs in that list that a lot of people don't know too! Move to the city? Bad obsession? Double talking jive? Dead horse?

I'd personnally love to hear Locomotive, but I don't think it will ever happen! :tongue2:

You heard nobody say that they were disapointed?

Nope none at all. Everyone was just signing along...im assuming they were all having a great time and were not disappointed?

I'm glad you had a good time Volcano!Nice to hear a good review of the show! :)

Personnaly I would get rid of "Live and Let Die" and "Knocking On Heavens Door" but it seems he's not willing to stop playing them... that's why I put them on the setlist.

Yes I agree, Axl still has magnetism.

They made a video for Dead Horse so I'm assuming more people know the song rather than, let's say, This I Love, for instance. I think there is more people who own UYI 1 than CD, so more chance that people know Bad Obsession and Double Talkin Jive, plus these song are simply better than "new" songs and at least they're GNR songs... No need to play Pink Floyd songs instead. You may be right about Move to the City though...

Guest cbgnr666

Not too mention the covers they are playing are widely known by people of different generations and should appeal more to the majority of the people in attendance then say lesser known tracks or new material during a festival type show.

Not too mention the covers they are playing are widely known by people of different generations and should appeal more to the majority of the people in attendance then say lesser known tracks or new material during a festival type show.

They are no more inclined to play the material fans want to hear at a non-festival show as demonstrated by the Vegas residency, Brooklyn Bowl and Joint appearances. So where exactly is the venue for new GNR songs? Axl's annual Halloween parties?

Every gig they could possiblt present new material turns out to be exactly the same as every other show.

Guest cbgnr666

y are no moreThe inclined to play the material fans want to hear at a non-festival show as demonstrated by the Vegas residency, Brooklyn Bowl and Joint appearances. So where exactly is the venue for new GNR songs? Axl's annual Halloween parties?

Every gig they could possiblt present new material turns out to be exactly the same as every other show.

People are complaing on one hand of not just playing the hits for these shows,and on the other hand people are complaing about not playing new songs,and then you have the people complaing about too many covers and not lesser known gnr songs.I look forward too new material as much as the next person but when they do people will complain about that too,just like they complain about CD songs then and now in the setlist.

Edited by cbgnr666