Lead singer egos

rjm631

You can hear a LOT of passive aggressiveness, imo, in that 'rare' 1994 interview they did together for Spaghetti Incident...could be wrong, but I get the vibe that they were not in the same room together for that, and were in on a joint phone call...Slash seemed pretty out of it/laidback, but Axl seemed testy - Slash mentions how he's about to send him demo tapes and Axl is like, 'Yeah, I've been waiting to hear those for a while,' with a hefty dose of bitterness in his voice. I'm sure that's pretty much how their relationship was at that point, barely held together.

I didn't hear that at all actually. I remember being surprised by hearing how friendly they sounded towards one another. It seemed to me that Axl was excited to hear it.

Interesting we heard it so differently!

I agree. I didn't hear any bitterness in Axl's voice. One person's interpretation I guess. Same as what people thought they saw in the last pic of Axl and Slash. I think a lot of times it's someone who is reading into things a bit too much because they know how the story ended.

Was just reading an article on Scott Weiland that i think Uncle Axl should peruse, and this one paragraph reminded me his situation/ego:

What these musicians did was bank in on their star power. They figured that they could recreate the sound of their band with hired musicians and get more money and attention, all without having to deal with irksome band dynamics. Stars go solo when they let their ego get the better of them, when they attribute their band’s success solely to themselves. They become impatient with other band members’ attempts to contribute to the creative process. And they become resentful when other band members become media or fan darlings. So they go off on their own.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ruthblatt/2013/06/10/scott-weilands-wrong-call-about-stone-temple-pilots-and-what-really-happens-when-star-performers-go-solo/

Sound familiar?

The writer should have been comparing bands like Styx that had gotten back together and put new music out, and it fell apart, causing even more resentment and court battles than the first breakup. Same with VH and Hagar - got really ugly in 2004. There's others that people can name in the same boat STP found themselves in.

A lot of bands just run their course and sometimes the songwriters just want to do something with other people. That was the case with Paul Simon, David Byrne, Sting, Peter Gabriel, and many others.

Hardcore fans will always care about the band lineups, no matter if there's a band name or the headliner's name, people get to know the band members over time when they're a part of the band for a long time.

Axl didn't want the others to leave. he might be a control freak but this doesn't apply to this situation at all.

Wrong. He never wanted Slash in band. What was Axl's quote "Slash either should have never been in Guns or left after AFD"......

And he was right. The quote describes Slash perfectly. Look what he did to Scott Weiland.

No, he wasn't right. He was just being an old bitter cry baby person, in other words, Axl was being Axl.

He said Slash should've never been in Guns but who requested Slash? Now, he also said Slash should've left after Lies, but who was the dumb stupid person who thanked Slash for his "killer guitar melodies" in the Use Your Illusion II booklet? When Slash quit, Axl tried to get him back countless times. Why? I don't understand if "he should've never been in Guns or should've left after Lies"? :shrugs:

This gives us 2 options: Either Axl was being really bitter about the situation when he said those things OR he's a retarded person who contradicts himself. It's up to you which one it is. ;)

Slash was an addict at the time of the breakup and Axl was moping around because of Stephanie leaving him. Neither guy wanted to deal with the other's bullshit.

The end.

20 years later - Slash is clean and Axl's still singing Stephanie Seymour ballads. Axl never grew up.

Axl didn't want the others to leave. he might be a control freak but this doesn't apply to this situation at all.

Wrong. He never wanted Slash in band. What was Axl's quote "Slash either should have never been in Guns or left after AFD"......

And he was right. The quote describes Slash perfectly. Look what he did to Scott Weiland.

No, he wasn't right. He was just being an old bitter cry baby person, in other words, Axl was being Axl.

He said Slash should've never been in Guns but who requested Slash? Now, he also said Slash should've left after Lies, but who was the dumb stupid person who thanked Slash for his "killer guitar melodies" in the Use Your Illusion II booklet? When Slash quit, Axl tried to get him back countless times. Why? I don't understand if "he should've never been in Guns or should've left after Lies"? :shrugs:

This gives us 2 options: Either Axl was being really bitter about the situation when he said those things OR he's a retarded person who contradicts himself. It's up to you which one it is. ;)

great post. you have to be an idiot to disagree with this post.

Slash was an addict at the time of the breakup and Axl was moping around because of Stephanie leaving him. Neither guy wanted to deal with the other's bullshit.

The end.

20 years later - Slash is clean and Axl's still singing Stephanie Seymour ballads. Axl never grew up.

And Seeker hits a home run to win the game!

I think people are misunderstanding what Axl meant with the comment about Slash. I think what he meant was that Slash grew tired/disillusioned of GN'R after AFD and should have left the band for his own sake. Axl was happy that he didn't, because, as others have pointed out, Slash made huge contributions to the UYIs and Axl wanted him as part of GN'R, but still feels that it would have been better for Slash if he had left earlier. At least that is how I interpreted the comment from Axl.

If we accept this interpretation of Axl's comment, then it really suggests that it became difficult for Axl to work with Slash quite early in their relationship (and vice versa, of course), yet that the musical magic still existed and that Axl, at least, looked on Slash as his comrade in arms and as a future key player in the band. Still, we know that they were on opposite ends when it came to the future of the band, with Axl having lots of lofty, ambitious plans while Slash just wanted to make quick, uncomplicated records and go out and tour them. There are a few quotes where Slash mocks Axl's music (the ballads) and plans from this period, so I guess that does lead credence to the interpretation that the best for Slash would have been if he'd left as soon as the Slash record was done (AFD) instead of hanging on and being an obstacle to Axl's plans (yet still delivering the goods in the studio and live).

Again, this is just my thoughts on this questions. I could be entirely wrong but I do feel this interpretation fits best with what we know of this period. I am also not saying anyone was right or wrong, although I believe they both were for various reasons.

Edited by SoulMonster

Was just reading an article on Scott Weiland that i think Uncle Axl should peruse, and this one paragraph reminded me his situation/ego:

What these musicians did was bank in on their star power. They figured that they could recreate the sound of their band with hired musicians and get more money and attention, all without having to deal with irksome band dynamics. Stars go solo when they let their ego get the better of them, when they attribute their band’s success solely to themselves. They become impatient with other band members’ attempts to contribute to the creative process. And they become resentful when other band members become media or fan darlings. So they go off on their own.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ruthblatt/2013/06/10/scott-weilands-wrong-call-about-stone-temple-pilots-and-what-really-happens-when-star-performers-go-solo/

Sound familiar?

It sounds very familiar to me ... that's what Slash did, somehow ...

:)

Sound familiar?

Best post ever! That's exactly what happened with Axl and others.

GunnerPT you're wrong, that happened with Axl way before Slash did Snakepit(illusion records, spaghetti and the new album). Proof of that is that Axl wanted to be "The General" of the next GNR album, and he wanted to be the one deciding which direction the band was going to be in (even though nobody agreed with him), then they left him because of that. He was also the one who decided that the band couldn't do another Appetite kind of album when every other member wanted to do it...

Furthermore Axl was resented that Slash became a media darling, and that his solo career is appreciated and respected and that Chinese Democracy and Axl's projects are not in anyway welcomed by the media...

Edited by AndreCC

Sound familiar?

GunnerPT you're wrong, that happened with Axl way before Slash did Snakepit(illusion records, spaghetti and the new album). Proof of that is that Axl wanted to be "The General" of the next GNR album, and he wanted to be the one deciding which direction the band was going to be in (even though nobody agreed with him), then they left him because of that. He was also the one who decided that the band couldn't do another Appetite kind of album when every other member wanted to do it...

Furthermore Axl was resented that Slash became a media darling, and that his solo career is appreciated and respected and that Chinese Democracy and Axl's projects are not in anyway welcomed by the media...

I don't think Slash became a media darling the way Ozzy did.

Sound familiar?

No ... you're wrong.

Axl didn't go solo .... Slash did. ;)

I think people are misunderstanding what Axl meant with the comment about Slash. I think what he meant was that Slash grew tired/disillusioned of GN'R after AFD and should have left the band for his own sake. Axl was happy that he didn't, because, as others have pointed out, Slash made huge contributions to the UYIs and Axl wanted him as part of GN'R, but still feels that it would have been better for Slash if he had left earlier. At least that is how I interpreted the comment from Axl.

If we accept this interpretation of Axl's comment, then it really suggests that it became difficult for Axl to work with Slash quite early in their relationship (and vice versa, of course), yet that the musical magic still existed and that Axl, at least, looked on Slash as his comrade in arms and as a future key player in the band. Still, we know that they were on opposite ends when it came to the future of the band, with Axl having lots of lofty, ambitious plans while Slash just wanted to make quick, uncomplicated records and go out and tour them. There are a few quotes where Slash mocks Axl's music (the ballads) and plans from this period, so I guess that does lead credence to the interpretation that the best for Slash would have been if he'd left as soon as the Slash record was done (AFD) instead of hanging on and being an obstacle to Axl's plans (yet still delivering the goods in the studio and live).

Again, this is just my thoughts on this questions. I could be entirely wrong but I do feel this interpretation fits best with what we know of this period. I am also not saying anyone was right or wrong, although I believe they both were for various reasons.

Exactly ...

Slash left the band because he didn't want an evolution of GN'R's sound. So, if he were coherent, "he should have left immediately after the Lies", once UYI sound is considerably different from AFD. I would say that the sound-distance between UYI and AFD is greater than the sound-distance between UYI and ChD ...

But people understand whatever they want ...

Sound familiar?

No ... you're wrong.

Axl didn't go solo .... Slash did. ;)

He's not wrong. You are. Your blind Axl fanatism does not let you accept the reality. I'm sorry for you. :thumbsup: