Is the Tokio '92 video a little bit boring?

TombRaider

Is the Tokio '92 video a little bit boring?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It was the first live footage I ever saw of the band. I saw it in a movie theater back home, with great sound and everything. And while I was indeed excited to see them on the big screen, I was also turned off by the crowd. The band was great and all, but I like concert videos where the crowd is wild and you can feel that they're really into it, into the songs, into the band. I know it's a cultural thing, that Japanese people are like that, cold and stuff, but man, I wish the band had recorded this live video somewhere else. Does anyone know why the decision was made to specifically shoot that concert and release it as a home video? Isn't Tokio '92 a little bit boring?

It was the first live footage I ever saw of the band. I saw it in a movie theater back home, with great sound and everything. And while I was indeed excited to see them on the big screen, I was also turned off by the crowd. The band was great and all, but I like concert videos where the crowd is wild and you can feel that they're really into it, into the songs, into the band. I know it's a cultural thing, that Japanese people are like that, cold and stuff, but man, I wish the band had recorded this live video somewhere else. Does anyone know why the decision was made to specifically shoot that concert and release it as a home video? Isn't Tokio '92 a little bit boring?

Lame crowd and far from the best show they should have released.

AFD 2012 > Paris 1992 > Tokyo 1992

No. I mean, that was one of the first gigs I saw from the UYI tour if I recall correctly, although I think it was Chile 1992. I believe I've seen that more than 100 times, gets a little bit boring when you know almost everything but it's cool to watch/listen to it from time to time.

The worst gig during the UYI tour is the best compared with whatever fat, bloated Axl's been doing since Rio 2011.

Axl's voice was shot, Duff was drunk, the crowd was asleep. So I guess you can at least say it was a bad choice for a live release. Horrible sound production/mix and bad filming don't help, either.

Edited by EvH

Ha! I'm actually watching it right now... had that naughty Rocket Queen rap stuck in my head... :takethat: It's true that there were better shows filmed during the Illusions tour, but it was said, back in the day... that band's released live shows filmed in Japan because the Japanese crowds were more quiet. I never pay attention to the crowd anyway. And, I've found, on a 50" HD television, you can see Axl's ass fall out of his shorts- so not bored.

Ha! I'm actually watching it right now... had that naughty Rocket Queen rap stuck in my head... :takethat: It's true that there were better shows filmed during the Illusions tour, but it was said, back in the day... that band's released live shows filmed in Japan because the Japanese crowds were more quiet. I never pay attention to the crowd anyway. And, I've found, on a 50" HD television, you can see Axl's ass fall out of his shorts- so not bored.

I never understood why they picked this show to be released. There were so many other - good! - shows in 1992.

And yes, his ass fell out in every show he wore the flimsy velvet shorts. Not only his ass.

I am more annoyed by the fact that they played Coma on the first night, Locomotive on the second, but they chose to release the third night which was just a basic Illusion '92 set. The other two nights were filmed.

True.

I am more annoyed by the fact that they played Coma on the first night, Locomotive on the second, but they chose to release the third night which was just a basic Illusion '92 set. The other two nights were filmed.

I didn't know that. Man, who the fuck makes those stupid calls? They should've released the video with all those songs, even if they weren't played on the third night. Who even cares if the footage is not from the same gig?

Edited by TombRaider

Probably the best version of Rocket Queen... The whole 2nd part and especially with Slash's outro.. omg

Don't you think the best version we have heard is the one from Live Era?

Personally, I find the missing rythm guitar disturbing.

Edited by EvH

Probably the best version of Rocket Queen... The whole 2nd part and especially with Slash's outro.. omg

I don't really listen to Live Era because it was tweaked, fixed, and re-recorded. I prefer the true representations of the performance. However, the remixed don't cry is brilliant because of the piano during the post-solo bridge.

I don't really listen to Live Era because it was tweaked, fixed, and re-recorded. I prefer the true representations of the performance. However, the remixed don't cry is brilliant because of the piano during the post-solo bridge.

I also really like Nightrain from Live Era cause of the re-recorded vocals. When Axl sings 'I NEVER LEARN!' much higher. Awesome.