New Manic Street Preachers song/album

Georgy Zhukov

Anthem is the centre piece with Show and Rewind the singles so far.

There's lots of nooks and cranies. Builder of Routines and 3 Ways to See Despair is like something off Know Your Enemy. 4 Lonely Roads reminds me of a Paolo Nutini song.

Tokyo Skyline is like a Gold against the Soul B-side.

Holy as the Soil is very Richey.

30 year War is like a Everything Must Go track. Political clunky catchy lyrics.

Manorbier is an instrumental, pretty ghostly.

I like how the start of Tokyo Skyline sounds like Tokyo. Somehow. Not that I've ever been. I've never been that fussed with Manics instrumentals but Manorbier is pretty great.

I didn't expect them to write as blatant and heartfelt a song like As Holy As The Soil but with them both sharing vocals I think it really works. Still strange to think there is a Manics song with the line 'I love you so won't you please come home' in it.

I think 'I ask you again what is to be done' on 30 year war is the coolest bit of the album.

Im taking Holy as the Soil to be a plea to Richey to come back.

Seems weird for Wire to like Tokyo. I guess it is alienating cos they dont break out the english. Theres no english signs.

Are there any interviews about the songs?

i want to know what Builder of Routines is about.

Wire did this just before the album came out.

http://thequietus.com/articles/13264-manic-street-preachers-rewind-the-film-track-by-track-review

"It’s about crawling through the ship wreckage and still trying, I guess like a junkie will try and get some semblance of justification and routine, I’m always obsessed with how, in whatever situation I’m in, trying to invent that one bit of stability to keep it all together. Sean plays this amazing flugelhorn solo which I love, it’s very ‘God Only Knows’, something about it lifts the song out of the pit. Something about how you’ve been through all of that and now you’re out."

Thanks for that.

'I cant fucking star jump without my arthritic knee packing up and my back packing in.'

I thought buolder of routines would have been about a 1940s factory owner or something.Akes sense it was made in Berlin.

Futurology is the title of next album.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, they arent exciting but at the same time the albums realky connect to me. I totally understand what they mean. And that can make up for being a good band. He heh. They arent Led Zepp or The pistols but GT makes me cry everytime I listen to it lol

I got the book version of the album so I got all the demos of each song. Haven't listened to it yet but Tokio Skyline might be good.

That is the video I posted. Some of the demos are better than the songs, especially ones with the female guest vocalists. Nicky sings Four Lonely Roads and Rewind The Film.

• 2 months later...

I think it's more about the punky guitars and maybe the angle of the lyrics. Rewind is very Wire. Not getting out of bed, working class struggle, being an hypochondriac.

Futuroly has more polemics, Manics style. Wire wrote some lyrics on Holy Bible.

It has some electro vibe too I think. It sounds to me like it could be like Placebo with Cold War nostalgia lyrics.

Lifeblood was the Holy Bible for 30 something's. so futurology could be Holy bible for 40 something's. I think there's a distinction to be made between HB and PL. plague seems more from inside the nut house. Whereas bible is prior. So I think there could be a Holy Bible 3 political truth, self loathing and the Eurovision Song Contest.

Edited by wasted

If I ever feel down I can listen to The Holy Bible, Lifeblood, Journal for Plague Lovers, Rewind The Film and Futurology.

They are long overdue for yet another B-sides and cover album. Some of their B sides are better than the songs on actual albums. And they are one of the best cover bands around.