Q about the Steven Adler court case.

alfierose

I asked this question when I first joined the forum but it got lost in the tumbleweed that inhabited the Adler section ;-)

Why did only Axl's testimony surface from this? Did the others not testify and if not why not? Axl was apparently the last one to agree to firing Steven yet appeared to take the brunt of the case, was this because he owned the name by that point?

Always wondered this but haven't found a conclusive answer.

idk, just my guess. perhaps adler sued guns n roses as a band, an enterprise, so there was no need for each member of the band to testify. so, what year was the testimony - 1991? slash is delirious, attacked by little black monsters, duff partied hard with his girlfriend linda, izzy is out or on his way out. somebody had to do it

idk, just my guess. perhaps adler sued guns n roses as a band, an enterprise, so there was no need for each member of the band to testify. so, what year was the testimony - 1991? slash is delirious, attacked by little black monsters, duff partied hard with his girlfriend linda, izzy is out or on his way out. somebody had to do it

You might be right. Axl was probably the most capable of defending the band. I don't suppose a junked up Slash would have won anyone over discussing how his equally junked up bandmate needed to be fired.

You might be right. Axl was probably the most capable of defending the band. I don't suppose a junked up Slash would have won anyone over discussing how his equally junked up bandmate needed to be fired.

This

"Not quite. Axl, for one, still had a great deal of business to attend to, beginning, on August 23, with a date at the Los Angeles Superior Court, where he testified against Steven Adler in the drummer's ongoing legal action against the band. Repeating his claim that he and the band were left with no option but to drop the drummer when it became apparent during the recording of 'Civil War' that Steven was unable to perform his duties adequately anymore because of his heroin addiction - insisting that he had needed more than 60 takes to get his part right - the judge still ruled against Axl, taking an understandably dim view of the callous, underhanded manner in which a founding member of the band had been ousted from it, depriving him of royalties and income at a time when it was well-known the rest of them had had their own longstanding problems with drugs."

"Despite the money, it is still a cause of great regret for him, though, he says, that the original band came to such a messy end. “I know myself, I know Slash too cos we always talked about [how] we could've been like Aerosmith, like the Stones. Dude, they've been together thirty, forty fucking years.” He added that “the most touching thing” had been how “at the end of the trial, all the jurors hugged me and said, 'Good luck and take care'. They hated [the other members of Guns N' Roses]. When they were on the stand they'd be asked, 'How many times have you overdosed?' and the reply would be twenty or thirty times each. And there they were, throwing out this nice boy who was getting treatment? It made them look bigger assholes than they were.”

Predictably, Axl was outraged by the decision, unable to concede that Steven had played a critical part in the band's rise to stardom."

Bolding mine, Source: http://www.mickwall.com/waxlrose9chap2.htm

Original unedited, uncorrected chapter from W.A.R., 2007

Heroin addicts can be remarkably functional as long as they get their fix, in fact, in a brightly lit room, one would be very hard pressed to determine if that person had used, or not.

Of course, the toxic psychosis associated with cocaine abuse is another beast altogether.

Edited by Thelonious

So according to the Mick Wall book they did all take the stand. Wonder why there is no footage? Unless they only submitted written testimonies perhaps.

Mick Wall has made a lot of shit up too... not saying it's not true, but there's just as good a chance it's false.

• 3 weeks later...

So I assume you have all seen the video of Axl in court giving his deposition about the riots & what have you.

The whole time I was watching it I wondered how or why that tape of him became public?

& also WHERE ARE THE TAPES OF IZZY/SLASH/DUFF etc...??

I know that all the guys were bought in & questioned but why is the Axl video the only one we get to see? this really bothers me & I wonder if the tapes of the other guys are in the vault or something.

Did the judge say only one video could be made public & not the rest? that makes no sense.
I want answers :max:

Edited by Spark

Hard to say who was taking the video, doubt it was LA court or why they only released part of the testimony. Might have been a cameraman (it looks like it could be either E! or Channel 9(CBS)) that worked for the news at the time who happened to have unedited footage.

The one I really want to see is the testimony a few years later, but I doubt video exists. Surprised that testimony never made it onto Smoking Gun, but you have to buy a copy and have to go to the courthouse where it's filed, because it's never been digitized.

Axl was apparently the last one to agree to firing Steven yet

Axl fired Steven, live at Farm Aid. What the heck are you talking about?

This is all Slash's fault.