Great concepts, tainted by the notion of a trilogy

Guest NGOG

X-Men 3 was shite. But I love Dark Knight Rises and I really admire the Matrix sequels for their thematic ambition, they're just let down by overlong overCGIey fight scenes and a load of crappily-acted poorly-written side characters no one gives a shit about. I've still watched them loads of times. I reckon with a bit of script editing they could have been one great film, surpassing the original, as opposed to two bloated films. I love the last half hour or so of Revolutions, all the stuff with the Blind Messiah and Neo vs Smith etc. Also, really like the music (especially the track Neodammerung).

I enjoy bits of Attack of the Clones: the alien planets like Kamino are cool, and I like some of the Obi-Wan detective scenes. Hayden Christensen is crap but 18-year-old Natalie Portman is well fit. Also, John Williams (that Across The Stars theme conveys Lucas' intentions better than his directing or the actors' acting does). Loved Revenge of the Sith when it came out but find it slow and silly on second viewing.

Clones had a good movie buried in the final product. The Obi- Wan scenes were, for the most part pretty good and could have made something a lot better. A bunch of idiotic plot points, dumb cgi parts (droid factory), bad script/writting ruined it. The love story is the killing blow though. Padme and Anakin's "love" was so poorly executed, it actively brought the whole film down to the point of ruin.

Still love Revenge of the Sith though, defiantly think it holds up as a great Star Wars movie. I and II... make me sad...

ROTJ was great you hooray for tolerance!. And it could've been a lot better if Lucas hadn't caved to the demands of toy companies.

Back to the Future. I was great, II was good, III was shit.

Indiana Jones, though in this case it's the second that stands out as shit, so I guess it doesn't really count.

Definitely Nolan's Batman, though you could argue that TDKR would've been an entirely different and much better film had Ledger been around.

Shrek

ROTJ was great you hooray for tolerance!. And it could've been a lot better if Lucas hadn't caved to the demands of toy companies.

All the scenes that didn't happen on Endor were great.

The Bourne trilogy was good throughout. I can't think of any other at this point.

Edit: stupid me! Lord of the Rings.

Edited by GivenToFly

Indiana Jones, though in this case it's the second that stands out as shit, so I guess it doesn't really count.

Definitely Nolan's Batman, though you could argue that TDKR would've been an entirely different and much better film had Ledger been around.

Shrek

BTTF III was great.

I know bro:

But you're missing one very important point, the death of Heath Ledger. Given the reaction to The Dark Knight, it was likely a given that Ledger would reprise his role as The Joker in the finale. Nolan probably had to adapt his writing around the unexpected death of Heath Ledger. The Joker is a recurring thorn in the side of Batman's fight against crime, had Nolan been able to use that character in the finale of his trilogy, he would have.

I have to say I disagree with you on the Star Wars point. TESB was great, ROTJ was OK.

I agree in part about Back To The Future in as much that part III is the weakest, but it's still a great movie.

Temple of doom is the Indiana jones dud. Spielberg's wife does my head in. I just can't stand her. Best part of that movie? The fact that the little Asian kid from the goonies plays shortround. I don't count Kingdom of The Crystal Skull. I don't think anybody else should either.

One of my favorite movies in a trilogy, which is now no longer a trilogy, is Die Hard With A Vengeance. Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson worked great together. Up until those sequels, that was one of the best trilogies out. Number 2 was the weakest of the 3 but was still a kick arse movie.

Edited by Ace Frehley