Western movies

Once Upon a Time in the West

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Unforgiven

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

High Noon

The Searchers

Been watching Deadwood, a great Western TV series.

I've always thought about checking out Deadwood but never have. So I take it's good. Ever seen Wild Bill with Jeff Bridges?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't but I an interested.

I think Once Upon a Time in the West had some of the best lines.

Harmonica: Your friends have a high mortality count. First three than two

Frank: So you're the one who makes the appointments

Harmonica: And you're the one that doesn't keep them.

Guest Len B'stard

I love the 'two too many' horses line too. And the 'can you play music with that?!?!' Line and my personal favorite from that film

'How can you trust a man that wears a belt AND suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants!'

Guest Len B'stard

Johnny Guitar is fantastic, Joan Crawford and Sterling Hayden. Sterling Hayden is one of my favorite actors ever...and his real life was almost as adventurous as his movies. This was also one of Jimi Hendrixes favorite movies as a kid i remember reading once.

I love the 'two too many' horses line too. And the 'can you play music with that?!?!' Line and my personal favorite from that film

'How can you trust a man that wears a belt AND suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants!'

"People scare better when they're dying"

Henry Fonda was so convincing as the bad guy. It was Leone's dream to work with him and he casts him as the villain!

"You saved his life!"

"I did not let them kill him and that is not the same thing!"

Guest Len B'stard

Part of what makes him SOOO effective as a bad guy is that he is essentially the quintessential American good guy, totally inspired bit of casting was that. Just magnificent. Apparently when Leone first met Fonda he freaked out, thinking he was too old to play Frank.

Another reason i think that the western is dead nowadays is that they involved not a lot of dialogue always but a great deal of physical grace which a lot of actors don't have anymore. People don't seem to work on things like that. I think Claudia Cardinale was quoted as saying Fonda walked like a prince. I totally get that.

So much emphasis is but on beauty in terms of physical looks but certain actors, Steve McQueen, Yul Brynner, Henry Fonda just carried themselves with an upright grace that fills up the screen.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

What about the one Richard Harris did? A Man Called Horse.

That ones is rather meh for me.

I thought it was pretty good man, conceptually if nothing else, it's really like...harrowing as an idea, that that could happen.

Johnny Guitar is fantastic, Joan Crawford and Sterling Hayden. Sterling Hayden is one of my favorite actors ever...and his real life was almost as adventurous as his movies. This was also one of Jimi Hendrixes favorite movies as a kid i remember reading once.

oh really ? i didn't know it was one of jimi's favorite, but i'm not surprised, that film is so strange, unrealistic and kind of psychedelic lol

a dialogue from "they died with their boots on" (1941)

George Armstrong Custer: Well, for one thing you're an Englishman, not an American.

Lt. "Queen's Own" Butler: Not an American! What do you Yankees think you are? The only REAL Americans in this merry old parish are on the other side of the hill with feathers in their hair.

:lol:

The good the bad and the ugly takes top prize for me. I wish sergio leone made more westerns .

Franco nero as django is entertaining, but no eastwood.

Son of the morning star was a more accurate story of custer than any other one out there.

I'd like to see more civil war films. Gods & generals and gettysburg were great recent epics.

Edited by Axl_morris

The good the bad and the ugly takes top prize for me. I wish sergio leone made more westerns .

you can't be serious, western spaghetti is a mere parody of real western, they're a joke. not necessarily bad movies, they're entertaining sometimes but they don't have a high artistic quality.

the best westerns have been done by directors like john ford, raoul walsh, anthony mann or howard hawks

Edited by Mao5

Franco nero as django is entertaining, but no eastwood.

Son of the morning star was a more accurate story of custer than any other one out there.

I'd like to see more civil war films. Gods & generals and gettysburg were great recent epics.

I love me some spaghetti westerns. Leone made 6 of them if you count "My Name is Noboy"

some of my favourites:

Once Upon a time in the West (my all time favourite)

Django

Preparati la barra (aka. viva Django/Django prepare your coffin)

God forgives I dont

My name is Noboy

A Bullet for the general

A Fistful of Dollars

They Call me Trinity