Western movies

Why don't we have any western movies anymore ?

I've heard that this genre doesn't appeal to the younger generations anymore. Is that true ? Many critics say that young people don't understand the values and codes carried by western movies, they don't care about them.

Which are your favorite western movies?

Do you prefer John Ford or Howard Hawks ?

Edited by durruti column

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Because you can't make Westerns anymore because those archetypal male leads don't exist anymore that could pull them off convincingly.

As for favorites, God, i could go on all day. Clint Eastwood is an obvious one, John Wayne again, Gary Cooper, another legend of the genre, it's really such a broad-ranging thing. Henry Fonda, these are like...the classic western actors.

An interesting western i once saw was The Culpepper Cattle Company, which was made as a more accurate reflection of the west, away from the comic bookish style of your average John Wayne piece. Soldier Blue is another amazing hardcore western.

Western TV shows are something thats kinda ignored, like Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide, Bonanza etc. Or B movie westerns with the likes Johnny Mack Brown.

The birth of the genre was like, DW Griffith i think and The Great Train Robbery, first example of cross-cutting in cinema, to give an indicator of the value of this genre in the timeline of cinema.

I've seen more westerns than i have had hot dinners, it's really hard to take the genre on the whole cuz there's just so much to it. Of the big main western stars i've seen pretty much every western they made.

Favorite? It's just impossible to pick.

Because you can't make Westerns anymore because those archetypal male leads don't exist anymore that could pull them off convincingly.

It is because people like John Wayne don't exist in Hollywood anymore or few actors are prepared to become a gimmick for life?

Guest Len B'stard

It is because people like John Wayne don't exist in Hollywood anymore or few actors are prepared to become a gimmick for life?
Call it what you want he was one of the most popular actors of all time, topping box office lists for as long as he was an actor almost.

And anyway, i didn't mean that i meant the men dont suit the roles, they can't do strong and silent and graceful in the way your Yul Brynners and Henry Fondas do, nowadays actors get kudos by starving themselves and scratching their arse a lot, gimmick or no gimmick, John Wayne was a construct of John Wayne, he wasn't 'channelling' this that or the other.

John Wayne was a true American original.

Find me one actor who can walk, just walk, not jump or dance or scratch his head, just walk with the sort of deliberate grace of someone like Henry Fonda.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

James Stewart is one of the most underrated western actor ever, his films with Anthony Mann were beautiful. Winchester 73 is one of my favorite films of all time.

Criterion has been doing some amazing Western releases on Blu-ray.

I just received the original 3:10 to Yuma.

Excellent transfer.

Glenn Ford is excellent in his role, he totally mindfucks Van Heflin.

A Western with a psychological edge, it's fantastic!

Guest Len B'stard

I bought that on VHS in the early 90s in Watford market, cracking western. Van Heflin was great in Shane too.

Steve McQueen is someone who shouldve made more westerns, he was brilliant in Mag 7 and Nevada Smith.

Guest Len B'stard

Thats got one helluva cast, Charles Bronson, Ernest Borgnine and i think some other notable names, its based on Othello. The writer of that is a hollywood legend, Petrified Forrest the movie that made Bogie, Broken Arrow with Jimmy Stewart and Dark Passage with Bogie again.

Edited by sugaraylen

Tombstone and Unforgiven were the last great westerns. Val Kilmer didn't just nail Doc Holliday, but I swear he put on one of the best acting performances I've ever seen. I don't know who won the best supporting actor award that year but Val got robbed. The 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit remakes were both solid, but nowhere near the quality of those. Open Range was ok, Duvall was excellent of course. Michael Madsen should have made some westerns.

Thats got one helluva cast, Charles Bronson, Ernest Borgnine and i think some other notable names, its based on Othello. The writer of that is a hollywood legend, Petrified Forrest the movie that made Bogie, Broken Arrow with Jimmy Stewart and Dark Passage with Bogie again.

Yeah it's a damn fine movie.

Seen that one len?

It's worthy!

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah i have, its a bit of an odd one but an absolute classic, Rod Steigers in it too i think. Glenn Ford dont get enough credit, he always made slightly off the beaten path type ones.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Tombstone and Unforgiven were the last great westerns. Val Kilmer didn't just nail Doc Holliday, but I swear he put on one of the best acting performances I've ever seen. I don't know who won the best supporting actor award that year but Val got robbed. The 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit remakes were both solid, but nowhere near the quality of those. Open Range was ok, Duvall was excellent of course. Michael Madsen should have made some westerns.

I couldnt bring myself to watch a remake of True Grit, theres only one Rooster Cogburn, cant believe thats John Waynes only Oscar.

I couldnt bring myself to watch a remake of True Grit, theres only one Rooster Cogburn, cant believe thats John Waynes only Oscar.

Yeah. I mean Bridges did good. But the whole time I was like, he aint no Duke.

Guest Len B'stard

Also, there's this thing i've noticed nowadays of old films getting remade and everybody wheels out the old chestnuts of like "it's closer to the original concept of the book maaaan' or 'it's darker maaaan', as if those things in and of themselves make it better or noteworthy.

First of all, True Grit is True Grit because of the John Wayne flick, not the book. And like, it's darker, well, OK, thats great but what else...?

Noteable for being one of the few movies where John Wayne curses...that and The Shootist, which by the way, is a fucking fantastic western.

Everyone always prattles on about the great Oscar winning Unforgiven, the perfect ending to a western career, the old gunslinger looking for redemption and how great and original it is and it's like...hang on, have you seen The Shootist? Jimmy Stewarts in that for a minute in the beginning to as a doctor.

JS: I don't know what better way to tell you...

JW: Just come out with it Doc...

JS: Alright...you've got a cancer!

JW: Can'tcha cut it out Doc?

JS: To cut it out i'd hafta gut ya like a fish!

Don't sugar-coat it will ya Jimmy? :lol:

Also, there's this thing i've noticed nowadays of old films getting remade and everybody wheels out the old chestnuts of like "it's closer to the original concept of the book maaaan' or 'it's darker maaaan', as if those things in and of themselves make it better or noteworthy.

First of all, True Grit is True Grit because of the John Wayne flick, not the book. And like, it's darker, well, OK, thats great but what else...?

Noteable for being one of the few movies where John Wayne curses...that and The Shootist, which by the way, is a fucking fantastic western.

Everyone always prattles on about the great Oscar winning Unforgiven, the perfect ending to a western career, the old gunslinger looking for redemption and how great and original it is and it's like...hang on, have you seen The Shootist? Jimmy Stewarts in that for a minute in the beginning to as a doctor.

JS: I don't know what better way to tell you...

JW: Just come out with it Doc...

JS: Alright...you've got a cancer!

JW: Can'tcha cut it out Doc?

JS: To cut it out i'd hafta gut ya like a fish!

Don't sugar-coat it will ya Jimmy? :lol:

While I love Unforgiven. I'm with you there, this is probably the answer to the OP question. It's not the actor, you can find someone, check the guy who played Charlie Prince in 3:10. But since Unforgiven almost every western has taken the darker and more realistic approach. I think it worked in Unforgiven because it actually was a different approach. But the ones since then, I guess try too hard. Now check out Tombstone. It didn't try to be like Unforgiven. It was full on love affair with wild west outlaws and gunslingers. And I know people, myself included, that at one point in our lives could damn near quote the whole movie.

Guest Len B'stard

Has anyone seen this one? I dug it. I like Jarmusch films.

25evajk.jpg

Another fuckin' classic! if i'm not mistaken Robert Mitchums in that...and Iggy at some point...and Gibby Haynes out of The Butthole Surfers, see this, this is an example of an offbeat not-atypical western, one that leaves you thinkin' huh, what the fuck?!?! If i'm not mistaken Neil Young did the soundtrack.

I prefer John Ford and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is probably my favourite (if we don't count Spaghetti Western). I enjoyed High Moon a lot too.

Why there is no Western nowadays? I don't know, maybe because John Wayne and James Stewart are dead. It's a genre I always liked and I guess it's a matter of trends. Now it seems it's the time of Superheroes but probably they will do a comeback in a few years. When people get totally bored of current stuff.

Edited by izzygirl