Western movies

I prefer John Ford and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is probably my favourite (if we don't count Spaghetti Western). I enjoyed High Moon a lot too.

Why there is no Western nowadays? I don't know, maybe because John Wayne and James Stewart are dead. It's a genre I always liked and I guess it's a matter of trends. Now it seems it's the time of Superheroes but probably they will do a comeback in a few years. When people get totally bored of current stuff.

American cinema is like Italian cinema. They play a genre to death until they find something else. Superhero films are just a part of the fantasy genre that has been going on since 2000. Much like Italians with Historical Epics, Westerns and Horror films.

Glad other people can recognize James Stewart's roles in Westerns. Most people I know just know him as that guy from It's a Wonderful Life. He can be brutal when he wants to. Just watch Winchester '73.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen this one? I dug it. I like Jarmusch films.

25evajk.jpg

Another fuckin' classic! if i'm not mistaken Robert Mitchums in that...and Iggy at some point...and Gibby Haynes out of The Butthole Surfers, see this, this is an example of an offbeat not-atypical western, one that leaves you thinkin' huh, what the fuck?!?! If i'm not mistaken Neil Young did the soundtrack.

It was Robert Mitchum's last movie and Neil Young did do the soundtrack.

Once Upon a Time in the West is as classic as they come.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I prefer John Ford and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is probably my favourite (if we don't count Spaghetti Western). I enjoyed High Moon a lot too.

Why there is no Western nowadays? I don't know, maybe because John Wayne and James Stewart are dead. It's a genre I always liked and I guess it's a matter of trends. Now it seems it's the time of Superheroes but probably they will do a comeback in a few years. When people get totally bored of current stuff.

American cinema is like Italian cinema. They play a genre to death until they find something else. Superhero films are just a part of the fantasy genre that has been going on since 2000. Much like Italians with Historical Epics, Westerns and Horror films.

Glad other people can recognize James Stewart's roles in Westerns. Most people I know just know him as that guy from It's a Wonderful Life. He can be brutal when he wants to. Just watch Winchester '73.

For me James is one of the best actors ever, not only the Westerns but in general.

You're right about Italians doing the same. I'd never thought about it before.

For me James is one of the best actors ever, not only the Westerns but in general.

You're right about Italians doing the same. I'd never thought about it before.

Much of the setting for Spaghetti Westerns look like your backyard.

Leone was the best. His Dollars Trilogy and Duck, You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite or Once Upon a Time...The Revolution).

Guest Len B'stard

Jimmy Stewart didn't even really make that many westerns for him to be considered THAT important an aspect of their time line though, we're talking what Shenadoah, Winchester 73, Broken Arrow, The Man from Laramie, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and a couple of others.

And it looks like her backyard cuz it is her back yard, those were filmed in Almeria.

Leone also made My Name is Nobody which is kinda lesser known but it's got Henry Fonda in it.

His romantic movies are the best :lol: Shopworn Angel, Shop Around the Corner and that.

Edited by sugaraylen

Much of the setting for Spaghetti Westerns look like your backyard.

Leone was the best. His Dollars Trilogy and Duck, You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite or Once Upon a Time...The Revolution).

What Lenny said. Spaguetti westerns were filmed in Almería, South of Spain. Actually you can still visit the settings nowadays. It's a touristy thing so you can feel like Clint Eastwood for a day.

I agree that Leone is the best, but I don't consider spaghetti western and "normal" western in the same category. They are different.

• 2 weeks later...

The Outlaw Josey Wales is one of my favorites as well.

It's hard to pick Eastwood's best, but I rank that one pretty high on the list.

Josey Wales and Unforgiven are his best. I feel his early westerns he was stuck in the "The Man With No Name", Josey Wales was his first Western Role where he showed more personality. He became a better actor as time went on.

What did everyone think of The Proposition? Took place in Australia in 1880. I don't remember much, except for John Hurt.

Guest Len B'stard

For A Few Dollars More is his best...and not cuz of him either (Gian Maria Volonte). El Indio, possibly the greatest villian in the history of modern cinema. Everything about him his perfect, his slightly greying curley hair, his costume, his low voice, his evil laugh, his accent, his Machiavellian manuervering, his fuckin' total souless ruthlessness (who the fuck kills a baby and his mum?), just perfect villian character. And that fuckin' pocket watch tune, eerie and operatic all at the same time. Tarantino stole off that character, the Mickey and Mallory thing, they always leave one person alive to tell the tale? 'i leave you alive Captain, so that you may tell everybody what take place here, MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!' :lol: Even his eyes, he had the most beautiful eyes ever.

Althrough my youth i always wanted a Spanishey Mexicaney accent just to sound like that bastard :lol:

But yes, Josey Wales

Josey: You a bounty hunter?

BH: Mans gotta do something for a livin'

Josey: Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy..

OH you fuckin' cool bastard! :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Gian Maria Volonte was such a ham though. I heard Leone got really annoyed with him. Especially his over the top death scenes.

My favorite scene ever with Eastwood is when he comforted the dying soldier in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. That and when he was playing with a kitten.

Guest Len B'stard

Those films are all very operatic though, i don't see it as hammy so much as accentuated. With the sort of way those movies were filmed and the music and everything it took those sorts of performances, kinda larger than life, i never considered him a ham, loved it, just lapped it up. You got an Italian man directing a western, the whole thing has the quality of Opera...and because Eastwoods performances are so understated it took the twitchy method acting Eli Wallach and the over-the-top Volonte to kinda fill the gaps in those movies, i think he was just fuckin' inspired casting, nobody else on the planet could've filled that role.

The kitten bit is perfect...'every fiddle plays its own tune...perfect timing, wise one' :)

Edited by sugaraylen

The trio of Wallach, Cleef and Eastwood was perfect in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. I believe Eastwood wanted fewer lines for his character. So basically everything Blondie says is some deep stuff.

Blondie summing up the American Civil War "Never seen so many men wasted so badly."

Guest Len B'stard

Lee Van Cleef is an odd one, he was kind of a bit player, you see him in little roles in movies like High Noon and How The West Was Won and if i'm not mistaken i think he's in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance as one of Lee Marvins sideman...but he just shone like fuck in the Dollar Westerns he was in.

He was also quite impressive in Death Rides a Horse.

Guest Len B'stard

Leone actually was quite narked at Clint for essentially using his movies as a springboard and never coming back. When asked the difference between De Niro and Eastwood Leone was quoted as saying 'De Niro suffers, Eastwood yawns'.

Leone loved De Niro, he wanted him to star in his Leningrad film which sadly never came to be. De Niro as Noodles was one of his most underrated performances. You have to be a hell of a good actor to get people to feel for your character right after a brutal four minute rape scene.

Guest Len B'stard

I want to check out Rio Bravo. How is it?

Its wonderful although its the same movie as Rio Lobo and el dorado plotwise, brilliant movie though, i know it off by heart almost, Dean Martin is my favorite in it, El Borachon :). Fantastic film though, great performances by all, ricky nelson, the duke, that big irish bird, stumpy, i just love it, its fantastic, one of the top 10 westerns ever.

Josey: You a bounty hunter?

BH: Mans gotta do something for a livin'

Josey: Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy..

OH you fuckin' cool bastard! :lol:

That's some cold blooded talk right there. For me, Josey is his best after the Dollar trilogy. Probably Good,Bad,Ugly as my top.

And yeah, Rio Bravo is classic.

Edited by J Dog