Atlas Shrugged

axlsalinger

I can't get over the fact that Brian May apparently recorded guitar parts for Atlas Shrugged in 1999 ... 14 years ago ... and we still haven't heard it. Does Axl still think highly of this song, or is it ancient history? Some quotes that have surfaced in the past about this song are listed below, is there anything else?

Some quotes (compiled on another GNR site):

"In addition to these leaked tracks, Classic Rock has heard versions of Rhiad And The Bedouins, Prostitute, Atlas Shrugged (another track featuring the signature guitar of Brian May) and Silkworms." (Classic Rock, 07/07)

'Atlas Shrugged' is described as being somewhere between 70's glam rock and 'November Rain'. (Jeff Leeds, Sp1at Website 2005)

"'We were finishing tracks [in October],' confirms Tom [Zutaut]. 'Doing overdubs with Buckethead and Robin Finck and some stuff with Tommy Stinson. I felt we had a well finished version of The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy. Atlas Shrugged was pretty good.'" (Classic Rock, 04/08)

"Atlas Shrugged, I was going to tell a little story about that song. Right now on my laptop, I actually have the old guitar solo that I played for that song, when, two days before the album was going to be mastered, I was like, let's see if we can squeeze it on to the album. I busted out some guitar tracks for it, I have my own studio...

But, because the CD could only be 74 minutes max, and it would've taken it past the limit of what a CD can store, we couldn't put Atlas Shrugged on Chinese Democracy. It wasn't worth making a two-CD album with just one song on the other CD, so hopefully, on ChiDem 2, it'll have Atlas Shrugged on there. Interesting song." (Bumblefoot, Eat More Heat, March 2013)

Pretty sure Brian May confirmed they were 2 separate songs, Axl also confirmed that in his forum chat and Bumble basically did as well in that quote. It exists. Apparently it's not bad. I just want to hear it, hopefully in this millenium.

Maybe Axl is concerned that by releasing the track, Atlas will relax and stop holding the world up on his shoulders, and we'll all be doomed. So really, Axl is saving the world by keeping it buried.

That quote about November Rain intrigues me. There was another quote I remember in an article written somewhere in 1999-2001 from someone who had listened to a bunch of unreleased tracks, who said some were as good as November Rain. Anyone remember what article that quote was in?

I asked Axl about it during the online chats and he mentioned that line about the shoulders not being wide enough. Dagny would probably go down on Axl.

for a fee and the right principles.

that's the only line from the book. it must be about Axl not being able to carry the weight of expectations.

doesn't really sound very glam rock though.

Maybe this was it, Axl in Rio 2001: (18 songs!)

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=37

With 18 songs, the group's next album (they haven't released anything since 1993's "The Spaghetti Incident?") is a collection of songs, which in Axl's opinion are as good as "November Rain". Among them "Madagascar", included in the show on Sunday. The CD will include a tribute to John Lennon and another about child abuse

Edited by axlsalinger
  • Like 1

Can't be, it came out in 1999 and that article was from 2001. I guess we haven't heard that child abuse song yet. Come to think about it, I don't think I've ever came across any info as to what song that would be.

songs feature in the show on Sunday, it must have been played live so we've heard it. Oh my god still most likely. maybe it's about how he was told to keep it buried, don't talk about it.

Edited by wasted

Can't be, it came out in 1999 and that article was from 2001. I guess we haven't heard that child abuse song yet. Come to think about it, I don't think I've ever came across any info as to what song that would be.

songs feature in the show on Sunday, it must have been played live so we've heard it. Oh my god still most likely. maybe it's about how he was told to keep it buried, don't talk about it.

Hmm very interesting regarding oh my god I think wasted might be on the money

I guess it's possible, but as mentioned that song came out 2 years earlier and the "child abuse" comment seems to be listed with other unreleased's (at the time) like Catcher. Plus didn't Axl say he was inspired for OMG by watching clips of End of Days?

Edited by axlsalinger

For the record, the Oh My God press release:

So here's the story behind this music

The chorus: OH MY GOD etc. deals with the societal repression of deep and often agonizing emotions - some of which may be willingly accepted for one reason or another - the appropriate expression of which (one that promotes a healing, release and a positive resolve) is often discouraged and many times denied. Emotionally the song contemplates several abstract perspectives drawing from personal expression as well as from the film (End Of Days) and its metaphors. The appropriate expression and vehicle for such emotions and concepts is not something taken for granted.

Musically the song was primarily written by Paul Huge over two years ago, with Dizzy Reed writing the musical hook of the chorus. Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.'

Once the opportunity was presented, the song was given priority in our recording process. As the verse, performance and lyrics were decided on, for us (that especially includes Interscope chairman Jimmy Iovine) the choice became obvious. We were more than pleased Mr. Roswell (the film's music supervisor) agreed! Our thanks to Arnold and all for the consideration - it is an association in which we have always felt honored.

Paul Huge, Gary Sunshine and Dave Navarro appear on the song as well as Robin Finck. Robin's part was written by Paul and extensively manipulated by our producer, Sean Beaven. Robin was not involved in the writing of the final recording though did participate in the arrangement. All lyrics were written by myself. Additional programming (jack boots, screeching tires, etc.) was by Stuart White.

The fight of good vs. evil, positive vs. negative, man against a seemingly undefeatable, undeterrable, unrevealed destiny, along with the personal and universal struggle to attain, maintain and responsibly manage freewill can be and often is frustrating to say the least. In America our country's constitutional right to freedom of expression gives us a better chance to fight for that expression than many in other countries enjoy. It can be a big gig, like kickin' the crap outta the devil!

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada,

Axl

• Like 1

Logically you'd say Atlas Shrugged can't be as good as Scrapped, Rhiad, Sorry, Catcher. These all all songs that could have been swapped out for Atlas yet they weren't.

I feel if the song was really that strong they'd have found a way to include it and if time on the disc was the issue, swapping one of those weaker songs would have been the answer.

Having said that nothing about the band is logical so this point means nothing really!

• Like 1

But, because the CD could only be 74 minutes max, and it would've taken it past the limit of what a CD can store, we couldn't put Atlas Shrugged on Chinese Democracy. It wasn't worth making a two-CD album with just one song on the other CD, so hopefully, on ChiDem 2, it'll have Atlas Shrugged on there. Interesting song." (Bumblefoot, Eat More Heat, March 2013)

seems like atlas was the only song ready to go besides the one on CD. not very encouraging.

Society represses child abuse. Not saying yhere are other lyrics about the movie, like most CD era lyrics its not about one thing, sort of becomes about universal concept. Like Lennon solo lyrics.

I dont think it matters when it came out, the lyric was probably wriiten when Axl ranted onstage about it in the 90s.

Intersting is that Axl is seeking Oivine and records producer for back up. They didnt just do a GNR sounding music, so hes a bit uncertain.

With his loose talk, Axl almost single-handedly created the unnecessary hype surrounding Chinese Democracy. All of these quotes about Atlas Shrugged no longer represent a sense of optimism for more songs; instead they merely symbolize how everything fails to materialize.

Axl already made CITR much less good by not using Brian's solo. And if he would hit his head on something really hard and suddenly decide to actually release material then he's stupid enough to do the same with Atlas. Which makes me very sad.

I don't think that Atlas not being on CD means it is a worse song than some of the stuff on there.

I would think that the CD setlist was driven by the leaks. We already know there is paranoia about leaks, so why would they put songs out there in addition to stuff that had already leaked?

Plus, you have to factor in that a lot of songs got shunted back to put some Bucket stuff on there. I'm guessing that was to make CD more band representative.

If Atlas is from the same era as TWAT - my word is all I can say.

Axl already made CITR much less good by not using Brian's solo. And if he would hit his head on something really hard and suddenly decide to actually release material then he's stupid enough to do the same with Atlas. Which makes me very sad.

i think thst showed his respect for his band mates. or maybe he just didn't want to pay him or something.

I don't think that Atlas not being on CD means it is a worse song than some of the stuff on there.

Do you really think Axl would onleash al his big guns on 1 cd if there was a plan to make it a double album or even a trilogie ?

Don't cry was held back as well as other hits (during the recording of Appetite)

Atlas probably is a big gun or just didn't fit in the flow of the album, and therefore being held back for a future release.

i think thst showed his respect for his band mates. or maybe he just didn't want to pay him or something.

I don't think anybody in the band would feel disrespected by having one Brian May (BRIAN. FUCKING. MAY.) solo on your record. People should consider that an honor.

In fact I think it's disrespectful to Brian May if anything to have someone of his caliber come in and record for you and then not use his work.

Edited by username