Is the GNR name being marketed as well as it should be?

The Linguini Occurrence

I can't help but think there could be so much more being done to keep the GNR name out there. When I see what other lesser (in my opinion) bands and musicians have done beyond music and videos and touring, shouldn't GNR be doing the same?

Example: Kiss

1. Their merchandising includes 3,000 product categories and has produced more pieces of merchandise and generated more revenue than any other artist or band in music history.

2. Next month will be the 3rd annual "Kiss Kruise", five days aboard a Kiss-themed cruise ship featuring acoustic sets and Kiss-related activities.

3. Next year Gene & Paul & their manager Doc McGhee (name sound familiar?) are starting up an Arena Football League team called the L.A. Kiss and have already offered Tim Tebow a contract.

Why can't GNR do something similar? There's so many ways to keep the name going without releasing new music or touring, it just seems like more should be happening to keep the GNR name right up there with other legendary bands.

I don't think so.

The artwork on the t-shirts (that aren't the classic logos/artwork) is really poor, where Guns shirts used to be bad ass-the get in the ring tour shirt was probably the meanest band shirt ever!

That's only the tip of the iceberg though...

Is the GNR name being marketed

No. Not at all. Not even a little. Despite having a whole 3 hour meeting about it.

As for the KISS references; Every band wants to be the Beatles, except KISS. KISS wants to be Coca Cola.

Something on the complete other end of the spectrum. And imo something you shouldn't want either.

Besides, KISS lunchboxes for kids are only bought by KISS fans in their late 40's (and Binge&Slash from mygnr).

I can't help but think there could be so much more being done to keep the GNR name out there. When I see what other lesser (in my opinion) bands and musicians have done beyond music and videos and touring, shouldn't GNR be doing the same?

1. Their merchandising includes 3,000 product categories and has produced more pieces of merchandise and generated more revenue than any other artist or band in music history.

2. Next month will be the 3rd annual "Kiss Kruise", five days aboard a Kiss-themed cruise ship featuring acoustic sets and Kiss-related activities.

3. Next year Gene & Paul & their manager Doc McGhee (name sound familiar?) are starting up an Arena Football League team called the L.A. Kiss and have already offered Tim Tebow a contract.

Why can't GNR do something similar? There's so many ways to keep the name going without releasing new music or touring, it just seems like more should be happening to keep the GNR name right up there with other legendary bands.

Don't forget KISS Kondoms and KISS Hello Kitty toilet paper :lol: Everybody wants a GN'R condom and some GN'R toilet paper. Wipe your ass on Slash's face!

Don't forget KISS Kondoms and KISS Hello Kitty toilet paper :lol: Everybody wants a GN'R condom and some GN'R toilet paper. Wipe your ass on Slash's face!

I bet Volcano would buy that Slash toilet paper though. ;)

While KISS/Gene and Paul's marketing is distasteful, at least they are providing their fan base with product.

I bought a KISS coffee mug the other week :awesomeface:

At least? how needs that shit anyways? It's alllllll about spending money. Instead of buy Gene toilet seat spend that money on the kids who don't have anything to eat/drink.

To be honest.....at this point, I wouldn't mind if Axl did the whole "Kiss thing."

I would buy action figures, comic books, cologne etc.

Crazy how hard he worked to keep the name, but hasn't done much with it...*sigh*

Even NUGnr's logo is poorly done. I can draw better than that.

• Like 1

Merchandise is just a fraction of a bands marketing. There is so much more to it than that. And it shouldn't be handled by the bands management, it's managements responsibility to place that in the hands of professionals. Since that hasn't been done, yes there is a lot more that could be done to improve the GNR name in the musical marketplace. A strategic planner would have a field day if they could get their hands on the GNR name. It's ripe for cultivation. They've got it all: history, prestige, longevity, stats. The whole package. Instead it's being turned into a farce. :(