Why the record industry couldn't let new GN'R succeed

11dayempire

Your opinion is too one sided.

So you don't want videos?

Slash didnt want to do Axls Stepanie Seymour ballads.

GNR got big off videos and ballads.

That trilogy (Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged) is the single worst thing the old band ever did. They made GN'R look like an absolute joke and set GN'R up for the full onslaught of grunge. Izzy did not want to do those videos because, he is cool basically whereas Axl is not.

Your opinion is too one sided.

So you don't want videos?

Slash didnt want to do Axls Stepanie Seymour ballads.

GNR got big off videos and ballads.

That trilogy (Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged) is the single worst thing the old band ever did. They made GN'R look like an absolute joke and set GN'R up for the full onslaught of grunge. Izzy did not want to do those videos because, he is cool basically whereas Axl is not.
Cool songs, but over the top videos

There are a few loopers down the far end of the Axl spectrum here that make me laugh. The madness!!

Look at all the other people in different roles who have willingly exited Axl's life over the years: guitar players, drummers, managers, partners...etc

The pattern is undeniable.

Axl now lives with people he keeps on his payroll while Slash & Duff are happily married with kids.

Go figure.

Waiting for Axl? its more than Slash was high and couldnt be bothered to play solos for Axl.

Aaaaaand you've officially entered lolcano territory. Good work, slick.

its more of a balance. Slash said he didnt want to do Axls ballads.

Everyone just heaps it on Axl when obviously the other guys werent perfect by any means.

Nobody really knows, those thay say they do are completely delusional.

Slash loves to play solos. He prefers the rockers over the ballads but this is just an aesthetic choice, and, anyhow, why has every album in Slash's solo discography contained at least one ballad? Presumably if he had a thing against ballads, his albums would be 100% rockers. Also, about Slash being high. Slash was high (on something, be it drugs or booze) for the writing and recording of Appetite (which I think we all agree, is excellent) and Use Your Illusion. Slash was high when he played the Ritz in 1988 or the Paris Pay Per View 1992. He is off his tits on booze on the Deer Creek 1991 video boot, yet, neither of these shows demonstrates that his performance is affected. As far as I am aware there is only one show where Slash was too boozed up to play well and Marc talks about it in his book. It is a similar story with Duff. Regardless of the intoxins they put in their system, these guys were pros.

Slash is quoted as saying he wanted nothing to do with Axls Stephanie Seymour ballads.

How many times did Dougie have to kidnap Slash to get him into rehab?

Theres no doubt drugs haf an adverse effect on the band. But it also made them awesome. There have been a lot of deaths around the band. Todd Crew, ShannonHoon, Wes Akreem. Even Del was having cocaine seizures. Adler stroke. Duff exploded pancreas. slashs heart stopped and had pacemaker fitted.

Nobody has said it made things easier anyway. Its true they pulled off the shows but it cause a lot of drama people oding all the time. It adds pressure that at anytime Slash could OD.

But for some reason people think this has no effect.

I think ir probably effected Axl as much as him being late effected them? its possible. He was the only guy sober enough to give a shit about the band in a real way.

Slash is quoted as saying he wanted nothing to do with Axls Stephanie Seymour ballads.

Theres no doubt drugs haf an adverse effect on the band. But it also made them awesome. There have been a lot of deaths around the band. Todd Crew, ShannonHoon, Wes Akreem. Even Del was having cocaine seizures. Adler stroke. Duff exploded pancreas. slashs heart stopped and had pacemaker fitted.

Nobody has said it made things easier anyway. Its true they pulled off the shows but it cause a lot of drama people oding all the time. It adds pressure that at anytime Slash could OD.

I think ir probably effected Axl as much as him being late effected them? its possible. He was the only guy sober enough to give a shit about the band in a real way.

Sure during the tour. Fair enough. But at the time of Axl dissolving the original partnership in 95, slash and duff were both reported to be sober, and Axl wasn't showing up when the rest of the band was rehearsing...

Slash loves to play solos. He prefers the rockers over the ballads but this is just an aesthetic choice, and, anyhow, why has every album in Slash's solo discography contained at least one ballad? Presumably if he had a thing against ballads, his albums would be 100% rockers. Also, about Slash being high. Slash was high (on something, be it drugs or booze) for the writing and recording of Appetite (which I think we all agree, is excellent) and Use Your Illusion. Slash was high when he played the Ritz in 1988 or the Paris Pay Per View 1992. He is off his tits on booze on the Deer Creek 1991 video boot, yet, neither of these shows demonstrates that his performance is affected. As far as I am aware there is only one show where Slash was too boozed up to play well and Marc talks about it in his book. It is a similar story with Duff. Regardless of the intoxins they put in their system, these guys were pros.

He was able to function and play, if someone plays a song thousands of times, they're going to be able to go on autopilot and play, even though it might be sloppy. You're also talking about a 2 year world tour, we'd have to go through each and every UYI show to figure out the good and bad ones. The 1993 tour seemed like a mess when Izzy rejoined but they got through it and people were happy to see him back.

Sure during the tour. Fair enough. But at the time of Axl dissolving the original partnership in 95, slash and duff were both reported to be sober, and Axl wasn't showing up when the rest of the band was rehearsing...
He doesnt really need to show up.

Also dissolving the og partnership isnt it just business, not personal. Vince neil is a hired hand. I can definitely see why they wouldnt like it but I can also see that they still get paid. No need to quit imo.

We've all heard the spiel about "managers trying to force GN'R to reform" over promoting the new band, particularly during the 2002-2010 era. I'd never really thought about why, but this article makes a good fist of explaining it:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/features/storms-last-stand/

Specifically, this bit:

There was a power shift from record companies to promoters and agents. In 2002 David Bowie announced that he was to perform his classic album Low in its entirety at London’s Royal Festival Hall. (“Hang on,” double-checked a cynical audience: “You’re definitely not going to play any of your new album? Really? And none of that Tin Machine guff? Ok then, I’m in!”) Acts with a similar pedigree who previously had thought that they had to release a new album in order to tour, embraced a new nothing-but-the-hits/your-favourite-album-in-full touring model. Promoters, fed-up of losing small fortunes on hot, hyped young acts with no audience, smelled money. The new law: any band that can reform, will.

Love the username because I loved those books.

But come on now. Any number of big time bands play new stuff. Go see U2. Go see Springsteen. Go see Pearl Jam.

You best have the new album.

Also dissolving the og partnership isnt it just business, not personal. Vince neil is a hired hand. I can definitely see why they wouldnt like it but I can also see that they still get paid. No need to quit imo.

Um to get the ball fully rolling, yes he does.

The whole dissolving of the name thing played a big part of why they decided not to join Axl's new venture, but it's still a small bit to a much bigger story. Quit being so daft. You're not new here.

He was able to function and play, if someone plays a song thousands of times, they're going to be able to go on autopilot and play, even though it might be sloppy

Axl seems to struggle on this front (witness, Novemeber Rain at Rio 4). But regarding you point, I completely disagree. when Slash was drunk and sloppy he was magical. I actually miss his drunkeness. Slash does not 'function and play'. He gets caught in the magic and bluesyness. You make Slash sound like Bumblefoot!

You're also talking about a 2 year world tour, we'd have to go through each and every UYI show to figure out the good and bad ones.

I am sad enough to have almost done that! Needless to say, I have too many bootlegs.

Um to get the ball fully rolling, yes he does.

The whole dissolving of the name thing played a big part of why they decided not to join Axl's new venture, but it's still a small bit to a much bigger story. Quit being so daft. You're not new here.

but each part of this big picture ends just as inconclusive.

I dont care if he stole it, Im just interested to know what happened.

But if you are going to quit then dont bitch about it, and keep suing the guy ruining his life.

DOOM likes the bit where the cross complaint mentions Azoff being a big meanie by referring to Axl as William Bailey.

Edit: This Azoff guy is a diabolic, DOOM must seek to form an evil partnership with him (and The Eagles) :drevil:

Edited by DR DOOM