2014 RRHoF inductees include Kiss, Hall & Oates, Nirvana, Peter Gabriel, Linda Ronstadt, Cat Stevens

ohlovelyrita

You guys need to know one thing: You might not like KISS's music, imagery or philosophy but KISS was SUPER important to rock music. Muchhhh more important than Guns N' Roses. KISS took live shows to a whole new level. KISS reinvented the live album. They made the live album what it is today. KISS incorporated mass capitalism into rock music in a way that just hadn't been done before them. Destroyer molded a generation. From 1975-1977 KISS was the biggest band in the world. Now of Gene and Paul have an ounce of dignity, they will reject the nomination. Same goes for Ace and Peter but I highly doubt Peter will have the decency.

Thank you! Gene may be a arse but KISS deserves their legendary status. The mid-to-late seventies belonged to them and Donna Summer!

KISS had it all!!

I DO think they should reject the award or they are really too far gone to care about anymore!

KISS is not THAT important, man.

It might be a generational thing because they were quite the spectacle and their sound was loud and exciting.

Here's a great take on KISS by Chuck Klosterman: http://www.kissasylum.com/news/2012/11/21/chuck-klosterman-the-elder-helps-psychopathy-kiss/

I can't find the full interview and that link doesn't work. It's worth reading by far.

Not at all.

You guys are really dramatizing the importance of KISS.

They have a couple two or three hits that get regular play, and otherwise took most of their act from Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, or the Rolling Stones, and gave very little back to the music world.
They are mentioned by some artists in a broad swoop as an 'influence', but their style barely shines through even in those acts that cite KISS as influential.
And as far as redefining the 'live' album goes, I'm afraid The Grateful Dead had a bigger role in that.

I'm not thick enough to deny that KISS had a huge and brief moment of fame, and are very recognizable, but other than being a really good corporate marketing strategy, they didn't really accomplish a whole lot.

Likening them to Taylor Swift and The dreaded B word is taking it too far :P

Maybe a little dramatic.

But they really boil down to the same thing.

KISS just happened to be a generational fad that managed to stick around longer than Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber.

Not at all.

They have a couple two or three hits that get regular play, and otherwise took most of their act from Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, or the Rolling Stones, and gave very little back to the music world.

They are mentioned by some artists in a broad swoop as an 'influence', but their style barely shines through even in those acts that cite KISS as influential.

And as far as redefining the 'live' album goes, I'm afraid The Grateful Dead had a bigger role in that.

I'm not thick enough to deny that KISS had a huge and brief moment of fame, and are very recognizable, but other than being a really good corporate marketing strategy, they didn't really accomplish a whole lot.

I think KISS still place third in a rock band with the most number of platinum records. I see you point about Bieber and Swift but they are both asexual to me and KISS was pure SEX to their fans! Doesn't that count for something?! :shades:

Not at all.

KISS "built a better mousetrap" by taking things from different people, but it was because they had it together and toured like crazy where they were able to build the following. The merchandising came later, but when members of the NY Dolls and Ramones saw them, they were just guys from Queens trying to make it, but they all said they had it together, they were loud as hell, and the crowd loved it enough to spread via word of mouth. The Ramones even said KISS influenced them as far as motivating them to keep going. It also ties into why they all dressed the same. The Dolls were there when KISS started and David and Sylvain both said KISS had it more together than they did. Alice Cooper was talking about retiring and Peter Gabriel left Genesis, Bowie was doing white soul music, and Roxy Music lost Eno so you had a void in theatrical rock.

I also think KISS appealed to kids into horror, comic books, and suburban/smal town boredom, that when they came to town, it was a true rock n' roll circus.

• Like 1

Not at all.

KISS "built a better mousetrap" by taking things from different people, but it was because they had it together and toured like crazy where they were able to build the following. The merchandising came later, but when members of the NY Dolls and Ramones saw them, they were just guys from Queens trying to make it, but they all said they had it together, they were loud as hell, and the crowd loved it enough to spread via word of mouth. The Ramones even said KISS influenced them as far as motivating them to keep going. It also ties into why they all dressed the same. The Dolls were there when KISS started and David and Sylvain both said KISS had it more together than they did. Alice Cooper was talking about retiring and Peter Gabriel left Genesis, Bowie was doing white soul music, and Roxy Music lost Eno so you had a void in theatrical rock.

I also think KISS appealed to kids into horror, comic books, and suburban/smal town boredom, that when they came to town, it was a true rock n' roll circus.

Very interesting! I'll take KISS over Nirvana. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWi-Ccihkg

Glenn Hughes just told me that if Purple gets in he will be there

I would be surprised if any of the Purple people didn't come, with the exception of Blackmore. I don't see why Coverdale, Gillan, etc wouldn't come. To my knowledge, no one from that band is on bad terms. I mean, they still tour also and that would be cool to see all the guys up there, although it would absolutely be bittersweet without Richie.