The enigma thread.....

HubbaBubba

Though he frustrates the hell out of us, the fact remains that Axl is an intriguing guy as well as a great songwriter.

Put the axl puzzles you think you've cracked, and the ones he's confirmed or resolved for us, in this thread. To get us going, two recently discussed examples are below.

**Note: I know the scope for smart-ass remarks is huge, and god knows we're all a bit disillusioned, but if we can keep things on track you never know what we might stumble across.

----

Axl put one of his famous Hannibal Lecter-style encrypted messages in the statement welcoming DJ to the band. He said something like "once DJ's name was in the hat, the hat disappeared!". I think this is a fairly obvious reference to the huge pressure he was under at the time to consider working with slash again. And I can just see axl's inner circle calling slash 'The Hat' - it's just got such a sinister ring to it!

So yeah, I think axl grabbed at DJ to relieve pressure on himself. And we're all living with that now.

----

It was actually one of his clumsier ones. Some of the others are alot more subtle.

My fave was the one he revealed in the chats about the official UYI shot. Axl was trying to tell us the classic line-up was 'Dead!' from way back then, and the message was in plain sight! I wonder if anyone picked up on it.

Edited by HubbaBubba
  • Like 1

Cool thread, but one I don't think I have much to add to.

I throw in the softball: the Zodiac message on the cover of TSI?

Yeah, I like that one. Who was it again that finally found the code? His name escapes me...

Yeah, I like that one. Who was it again that finally found the code? His name escapes me...

Can someone pls write a couple lines on how it was picked up? Half the fun is hearing an individual guns fan's account of how things went down. Also makes it a great thread to read back over later.

Can someone pls write a couple lines on how it was picked up? Half the fun is hearing an individual guns fan's account of how things went down. Also makes it a great thread to read back over later.

I believe it happened right here, by appetite4illusions: :http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/129045-spaghetti-incident-secret-code/page-6

In terms of the hat comment, I would take that as once DJ was being considered, there was no reason to consider anyone else because he was the best. I think the only person obsessed with Slash is you.

He might be overreaching a bit, but it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility. It's fun anyways.

Edited by smoke

Here's the link to the thread: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/129045-spaghetti-incident-secret-code/ Ah. You got it already.

Edited by aranrod

I believe it happened right here, by appetite4illusions: :http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/129045-spaghetti-incident-secret-code/page-6

In terms of the hat comment, I would take that as once DJ was being considered, there was no reason to consider anyone else because he was the best. I think the only person obsessed with Slash is you.

He might be overreaching a bit, but it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility. It's fun anyways.

Yeah, have to concede this of course. But I just thought it was quite an awkward comment from axl, and didn't really fit. If he meant it just as it appears, I'd say it's an uncharacteristically bland (& slightly odd?) way for him to express himself in one of his statements.

Another good one appeared in an old axl & slash interview posted here quite recently (possibly their last one done together, circa 1994?).

Axl was saying that he likes to put a hint about the next release in the liner notes of each album. So - "with your bitch slap rappin'.." appears as a quote in the afd liner notes, and obviously refers to UCBM on UYI2. And "Ain't it fun", quoted in the UYI liner notes, refers to the Spaghetti incident.

Question is - did he slip anything into the Spaghetti Incident? And what about CD?

The Sorry comment always confused me, "No, it's not about about someone I know." Kind of denying it's about Slash or denying Slash . So it's about the media/internet more like he said he's kick Bob Guccionni's ass on Get in the Ring.

The Sorry comment always confused me, "No, it's not about about someone I know." Kind of denying it's about Slash or denying Slash . So it's about the media/internet more like he said he's kick Bob Guccionni's ass on Get in the Ring.

I think he learned from that. Get in the ring handed Mick wall a whole revenue stream. I wonder how many books he sold?

It's the same with slash. Say the song's about him and you give him the oxygen every celebrity craves - attention.

I think he learned from that. Get in the ring handed Mick wall a whole revenue stream. I wonder how many books he sold?

It's the same with slash. Say the song's about him and you give him the oxygen every celebrity craves - attention.

So it's more "what if I had to deny your name"?

I had The Most Dangerous Band in the World, that was the book I learned to read from, that and the Back to the Future novelization were the two books I read outside of school.

True the feud suits the exs more than Axl. Everytime a solo record comes out they say something about Axl.

He said in one of the chats that he writes songs about composite people, rather that specific ones. He probably does take some inspiration from reality though: "broken glass and cigarettes", "you know where to put your `just shut up and sing`" are pretty obvious direct references and Riad is apparently about some guy, an arms dealer or whatever.

He said in one of the chats that he writes songs about composite people, rather that specific ones. He probably does take some inspiration from reality though: "broken glass and cigarettes", "you know where to put your `just shut up and sing`" are pretty obvious direct references and Riad is apparently about some guy, an arms dealer or whatever.

Yeah that part about shut up and sing has to be Slash.

It seems oscillate between the internet/media/fans on the chorus and Slash/haters on the verses.

What I don't get is why does Axl hate Slash more than Izzy or Duff.

"You choose to hurt those that love and won't set them free" - is he saying slash chose to hurt the fans and won't set us free by telling us the truth?

Yeah that part about shut up and sing has to be Slash.

It seems oscillate between the internet/media/fans on the chorus and Slash/haters on the verses.

What I don't get is why does Axl hate Slash more than Izzy or Duff.

"You choose to hurt those that love and won't set them free" - is he saying slash chose to hurt the fans and won't set us free by telling us the truth?

Nice. That's it alright.

Because out of the classic dudes, only two were truly iconic. Axl and Slash. Easily recognizable, easily caricatured. Lead singer and lead guitarist. When things went shit, no one showed up to shows wearing "Where's Duff" shirts. Fans divided along Axl/Slash lines just like Waters/Gilmour before them.

Axl got slayed in the press while Slash was mostly loved. The other dudes gave interviews but didn't get the attention of Axl/Slash, and Axl wasn't talking. So ANYTHING Slash said was the only side of the story, and so of course Axl hates Slash, because Slash was the "not Axl" side of the equation. Right or wrong, Slash's side of the story was the only one that was really out there, and it was assumed that everything was Axl's fault. I can get why Axl hated him, not why it continues to this day though.

• Like 1

Because out of the classic dudes, only two were truly iconic. Axl and Slash. Easily recognizable, easily caricatured. Lead singer and lead guitarist. When things went shit, no one showed up to shows wearing "Where's Duff" shirts. Fans divided along Axl/Slash lines just like Waters/Gilmour before them.

Axl got slayed in the press while Slash was mostly loved. The other dudes gave interviews but didn't get the attention of Axl/Slash, and Axl wasn't talking. So ANYTHING Slash said was the only side of the story, and so of course Axl hates Slash, because Slash was the "not Axl" side of the equation. Right or wrong, Slash's side of the story was the only one that was really out there, and it was assumed that everything was Axl's fault. I can get why Axl hated him, not why it continues to this day though.

I agree