The enigma thread.....

HubbaBubba

i think axl was always just drawn to enigmatic and rebellious stuff even if there was no real meaning behind it -- hence the zodiac references, the manson shirts, yadda yadda.

honestly? most guys go through it at some point in their life, the rebellious spirit and whatnot. it's why alienated teens always get drawn to dudes like jim morrison who were emblematic of that kind of spirit. and so it goes.

i think axl was always just drawn to enigmatic and rebellious stuff even if there was no real meaning behind it -- hence the zodiac references, the manson shirts, yadda yadda.

honestly? most guys go through it at some point in their life, the rebellious spirit and whatnot. it's why alienated teens always get drawn to dudes like jim morrison who were emblematic of that kind of spirit. and so it goes.

Did he ever articulate the manson shirt thing?

What was it that Axl said in the chats about Kurt Cobain. One of the oddest things i've read from him.

He referenced kurt in the chats?? Cool, I didn't remember that.

He said kurt was "a junkie, with a junkie's life" way back when - but that's the definition of straight shooting!

To an extent agree, but the point I'm (Axl's?) making about the official UYI album sleeve shot is that some of it did have very deliberate meaning.

"Kurt got bored and said never mind. I made Chinese Democracy' .

I have an interpretation of that quote - assuming that is what he said or pretty close to it.

Maybe he meant "Kurt wrote Nevermind about being disillusioned and bored. My thoughts that made up the lyrics on Chinese Democracy are different from that"

I have an interpretation of that quote - assuming that is what he said or pretty close to it.

Maybe he meant "Kurt wrote Nevermind about being disillusioned and bored. My thoughts that made up the lyrics on Chinese Democracy are different from that"

Yeah, that could be it. You could even say it sounds like he's implying he thought the music on nevermind was boring, at least in comparison to cd.

Not sure about that, but it'd be hard to argue that it wasn't less sophisticated, that's for sure.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, that could be it. You could even say it sounds like he's implying he thought the music on nevermind was boring, at least in comparison to cd.

Not sure about that, but it'd be hard to argue that it wasn't less sophisticated, that's for sure.

Nevermind is an album where the production really bothers me. The slickness of it seems dishonest.

Cool thread, but one I don't think I have much to add to.

I throw in the softball: the Zodiac message on the cover of TSI?

Yeah, I like that one. Who was it again that finally found the code? His name escapes me...

Here's one. What concert dvd did this quote (now used in a post) originate?