If a reunion were to happen, would the hype backfire on it, since it'd be very difficult for the band to live up to it?

TombRaider

If a reunion were to happen, would it backfired on the band, since it'd be very difficult for the band to live up to it?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not enough people care to make it financially unviable. There would be a buzz around a reunion but how long it would last until Izzy just got bored of it. I really think Izzy cant be bothered. Slash and Duff are solid road warriors. Theyve proved with VR they can make it happen. I dont think Steven is capable of it. So for a big tour Matt would be a better option. It all seems like too much hassle, too many pitfalls.

My opinion is that Axl tries his damnednest to prove everybody wrong,yet he will never admit that everyone else is/was right, when it comes down to a reunion.

He knows that the majority of the classic Guns fans hates his version/vision of what GNR should/could/would be.

And just like some religious sects,Axl tried/tries to shove his vision/version of Guns down people's throat,and the end result was a lot of them choosing sides or walking away.They didn't want or do want what he has to offer,unless it would at least be the UYI line up.

I don't think it would backfire tho.May be like it was in the clubs days,word of mouth ....... That type of stuff.

But then again,you would have MTV,VH1,radio stations around the world belting it out as loud as they possibly can.Promoting that yes it is a fact that the Old Guns were back together,without the band having to do a lot of pushing them for promotion. All because all radio stations, music channels,magazines etc know that's what a lot of fans around the world want,the old guys.

Edited by SweetRose

I'm fucking sick of people saying no one wants a reunion of the original band. Thats total fucking bullshit. I want a reunion and so do many other real fans that have had to suffer through this for the last 20 years want it too. Listen, I have no problems with what the band has done the last 10 years. In fact, I like the music and think Chinese Democracy is a good album. But it doesn't and never has held a candle to the original band that we all fell in love with and I'm sick of people speaking for everyone else (which is ironically exactly what I'm doing but I feel I'm not far off and it should be said).

Everyone in the original band, but Axl, can play fine and amazingly and it would be fucking epic to see them play strictly GNR again. The one person that would ruin it is Axl, because he looks much older than he is, has not taken good care of himself, and can't sing for shit these days. I'm sorry, but the hype and demand would be there, despite what you delusional people think, and it could live up to the hype with the exception of Axl. I'm just so fucking annoyed that people on here like to claim no one wants a reunion anymore. So many people have wanted that for the last 10 years and still do. It only makes it worse these days when you see Slash, Duff or Matt live and see how good they still are.

That needed to be said. Other people were beating around the bush, and I don't like to be the one speaking for everyone and sounding all high and mighty, but that is what a lot of people are thinking. And don't tell me to go away from the forum if thats how I feel because a reunion will never happen. I am fine talking about the current band and not bringing up a reunion. But when you bring one up and then say no one cares anymore, that is fucking bullshit and this should have to be said.

After the 10 years we've had, anyone looking at it logically will see that Axl really fucking ruined this band. He had so much potential with the new band that was totally squandered, while also squandering the ability to create more great music with the awesome band that started the whole thing all because he is too sensitive. Give him credit for not backing down and living the second half of his life getting shit for it, but that doesn't mean it was the right move.

• Like 1

It would probably be about the same level as the Van Halen reunion a few years ago. They'd sell out arenas and there would be a lot of hype, but it would be a flash in the pan. Once the "oh shit I can't believe this is happening" factor wore off they'd be like any other nostalgia act.

My ideal reunion vision would be one stadium show with the original five plus Sorum and Dizzy. Three hour plus greatest hits show recorded for theatrical release. Then Axl announce that he was retiring the GNR name. I guess I'm thinking of something like Led Zeppelin did a few years ago. Nobody cared that Plant couldn't hit the same notes anymore because it was fucking Led Zeppelin one last time.

Thats totally different. The answers to your questions in order:

1. No it would not be a "flash in the pan" if done right. If they played sets like they did on the Illusion tour, where they changed it up and it was exciting every night, it would be totally different than Van Halen. The factor would change from "oh shit I can't believe this is happening" to "why the fuck wasn't this happening all these years" to "I'm glad its fucking happening now". It wouldn't be a nostalgia act if done right.

2. The Led Zeppelin thing is totally different. They didn't tour as a pale imitation of Led Zeppelin for a decade and then get back together. They played maybe 3 mini shows since their breakup and then did one last concert. I thought Robert sounded great, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Sure, everyone gave him a break because it was the last show. Because Axl has insisted on continuing all these years and making it worse, I would hold him in much higher esteem. At this point, no I would not just watch and say "at least its happening" if Axl doesn't sound good. He could have gotten away with that if he didn't do GNR since the breakup. Because he has, I have no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he does a reunion, he better sound fucking good, and thats the exact reason he doesn't do a reunion these days. He knows he can't compete, whereas Robert Plant had the advantage of not having to try that hard, and STILL tried that hard.

I'm fucking sick of people saying no one wants a reunion of the original band. Thats total fucking bullshit.

Agreed. But you have to understand that there's a bitter little group of Axl Rose extremists who are probably on shrooms 24/7 and therefor live in a secluded little bubble just outside reality. They think the greatest thing in the world if Axl's (by now ruined) vision of a new Guns n' Roses that will be a million times better than the old Guns n' Roses ever was. They hate everybody who Axl ever felt wronged him (especially Slash) and blame everything on people other than Axl. They live in constant denial about everything wrong with Guns n' Roses despite overwhelming evidence. They believe everything Axl does is good and may never be put in doubt let alone criticized. And they also think that the vast majority of people in the world share their deluded reality. They think everybody loves the new GnR even though half the people don't even know the names of the guys in the band and the other half doesn't show up at all. They also think that the real Guns n' Roses that built the legacy in the first place has long been forgotten by humanity and is merely still there in myths and legends. "Nighttrain... Yeah! Ashba wrote that solo! Isn't it awesome?". They even think that everybody thinks that the new GnR is the hottest thing in the world right now.

And what's worse... They post here.

Edited by username

It would probably be about the same level as the Van Halen reunion a few years ago. They'd sell out arenas and there would be a lot of hype, but it would be a flash in the pan. Once the "oh shit I can't believe this is happening" factor wore off they'd be like any other nostalgia act.

My ideal reunion vision would be one stadium show with the original five plus Sorum and Dizzy. Three hour plus greatest hits show recorded for theatrical release. Then Axl announce that he was retiring the GNR name. I guess I'm thinking of something like Led Zeppelin did a few years ago. Nobody cared that Plant couldn't hit the same notes anymore because it was fucking Led Zeppelin one last time.

Thats totally different. The answers to your questions in order:

1. No it would not be a "flash in the pan" if done right. If they played sets like they did on the Illusion tour, where they changed it up and it was exciting every night, it would be totally different than Van Halen. The factor would change from "oh shit I can't believe this is happening" to "why the fuck wasn't this happening all these years" to "I'm glad its fucking happening now". It wouldn't be a nostalgia act if done right.

2. The Led Zeppelin thing is totally different. They didn't tour as a pale imitation of Led Zeppelin for a decade and then get back together. They played maybe 3 mini shows since their breakup and then did one last concert. I thought Robert sounded great, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Sure, everyone gave him a break because it was the last show. Because Axl has insisted on continuing all these years and making it worse, I would hold him in much higher esteem. At this point, no I would not just watch and say "at least its happening" if Axl doesn't sound good. He could have gotten away with that if he didn't do GNR since the breakup. Because he has, I have no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he does a reunion, he better sound fucking good, and thats the exact reason he doesn't do a reunion these days. He knows he can't compete, whereas Robert Plant had the advantage of not having to try that hard, and STILL tried that hard.

I see what you're saying. And in a perfect world you're right. But for one I don't believe Axl would change the sets every night like he did twenty years ago. He's been using primarily the same set list for every show since '06. But if the old band mates could get him out of his comfort zone then great.

And while Led Zeppelin never toured after John Bonham died, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page released several albums together and toured playing the classic Zeppelin songs. I still kick myself for choosing to see Aerosmith over them in '97. Regardless, people still want a proper Led Zeppelin tour.

I have no doubt that Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Adler/Sorum would bring it every night. Axl's the one who would still show up late and sound like shit. He has to know at this point Slash would blow him off the stage which is why he wouldn't do a reunion. That and several other outside factors like Team Brazil, Del, and others that don't want to lose control of their meal ticket.

Plant's voice has been consistent since the early 80s so when people saw and heard "Celebration Day", people knew what to expect as far as his voice goes. I have to give him credit as a solo artist on not relying on the LZ back catalog when he was building his solo career up.

There's nothing to be said about Axl and Slash until they talk to each other again. The closest we got to them being on the same page was "The Wrestler".

Axl could just show up at the KoC show in los angeles 11/18 and do a few songs w them.

It would be a lot lower key, there'd be other singers, and it wouldn't be a "guns n roses reunion"......just another "special guest"

Edited by jmapelian