If a reunion were to happen, would the hype backfire on it, since it'd be very difficult for the band to live up to it?

TombRaider

If a reunion were to happen, would it backfired on the band, since it'd be very difficult for the band to live up to it?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It couldn't be worse than what the current situation is.

As always, it (success) would depend on the singer and whether or not he was gonna show up or not etc etc and if he could compromise in the studio/write as a group or not.

I think they could actually live up to the hype if the circumstances within the band/Axl were right.

Edited by DR DOOM

Yeah I think it comes down to Axl's form.

Having seen all the others in recent years I would say Slash is playing better than ever before, Duff's sobriety makes him very solid live, and steve can still belt out the AFD stuff despite his stroke, Matt and Gilby seem the same as ever musically. Not seen Izzy but I assume he can still play.

If you put those guys with a 2006 screaming Axl it would be killer.

With a 2009-10 - partial rasp Axl I think it would also be great.

At the moment with Axl's current form - it would be great to see them back together - but some people might be slightly underwhelmed at the vocals.

Edited by Chunder Monkey

I think the shows would be great, with them all walking out to play Jungle with crowd going nuts.

Whether they could live up to their reps and make a record as good as AFD/UYI. I'm not sure what it would be about. Maybe lyrics about how awesome and rich they are.

• Like 1

It would be awesome to see them play those songs, of course. Just like it would be awesome for Robin and Bucket to play songs from CD. But with a reunion, I honestly don't think anyone needs it, and even then it would all be over before you knew due to the hype.

This.

I honestly think it would backfire. Let's not get the memories tarnished.

Axl and Slash will never be in the same room without it being painfully awkward, so it would be purely for the paycheck. They're all showing their age and are surely bored of the old material, so they wouldn't sound as tight as the current lineup. And there's no way they could write as a band without egos flaring, so any new music would be forced, like St. Anger. The media would shred them, and that would be GnR's final legacy.

Axl and Slash playing the hits with young people with energy who want to be on stage with them is a much better option.

VR already proved that Slash, Duff and Matt gel together as good as ever. I'm sure Izzy can still go too. Not too sure about Adler. I'd say the biggest risk is Axl being able to deliver 2006-style or better. If it's for the money it won't work. If Axl, Slash and Duff want to go for it, I'm sure they'll be fine.

Fact is nobody gives a shit who is in GNR as long as Axl is there and on top of his game.

This is the most blatant denial of reality I've ever see you blurt out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I just cannot believe that these men, all in their late 40's and early 50's, can't put their differences aside, let alone bury the hatchet. I know we can all hold grudges, but sometimes enough is enough. How long has it been? Almost 20 years now? How can Axl still hate Slash after all these years? Or how can Slash still hate Axl? Well... maybe he doesn't hate Axl, but he certainly doesn't like him. I mean... c'mon... you were best friends before and you created some of the best songs in rock history. That's gotta count for something. How can you still hold grudges after such a long time? I just cannot believe it. It's very sad. Very sad indeed.

Oh yeah it would be pretty much impossible to deliver a reunion show better than what we have already drummed up in our heads.

It could still potentially be fucking great though, of course there is only one way to find out ;)

A reunion would be mostly for the people who never got to see them together back in the day, so it wouldn't backfire when the demand for it to happen is coming from them.

A lot of times grudges don't go away because they keep getting interviewed and the old stuff gets dredged up, but there's times when friends go into business and have a falling out, or family members wind up suing each other and won't go to their kids' weddings because the divorce wound up causing the kids to take sides with mom or dad. For some reason, not taking the big money to do a reunion is seen as maintaining the integrity of the legacy. I think it's kind of silly, but rock stars are in a line of work where they're not getting paid based on maturity, even though some of what I've seen Congress do on the mic's pretty embarrassing.

They get rewarded for bad behavior when they're young, but when they're old they look like assholes because they stayed true to themselves?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I just cannot believe that these men, all in their late 40's and early 50's, can't put their differences aside, let alone bury the hatchet. I know we can all hold grudges, but sometimes enough is enough. How long has it been? Almost 20 years now? How can Axl still hate Slash after all these years? Or how can Slash still hate Axl? Well... maybe he doesn't hate Axl, but he certainly doesn't like him. I mean... c'mon... you were best friends before and you created some of the best songs in rock history. That's gotta count for something. How can you still hold grudges after such a long time? I just cannot believe it. It's very sad. Very sad indeed.

There's more at play here than just this though. There's also the time, effort and money that Axl has invested in building this new GnR. I can imagine that he's concerned that playing with the old guys again might bury that. Or at least render it in vain. He might feel it'd be like ditching them. I mean, you can say a lot about Axl, but not that he's not faithful. The thought that it might be harmful to the GnR he's worked hard to build must have at least played up in his mind at some point. Especially since a lot of people would still consider the old GnR the real GnR (except Volcano). Ofcourse that's no excuse not to bury the hatchet on a personal level. But on a professional level I imagine this to be one of the many factors in play here.

I would love to see it but it will never be the same as it was. Part of their greatness for me was their reckless image on stage. I think musically they would be awesome except for axl if he will not shape up.

Thats whats missing in the nugnr.the chemistry is long gone.

Edited by Appetite1989