Will Hollywood crash in 2015?

bacardimayne

I don't have it on me, but I saw a list of major movies that have already been funded, planned for release in 2015 and it is literally nothing but sequels and reboots. Every year, the ratio of sequels and remakes to original movies gets higher and higher. I feel like, eventually, the public is going to get sick of this shit and we'll see a Hollywood crash in the next few years. I doubt more than 1/4 of these movies will make back their budget in the box office.

Edited by bacardimayne

The reason why Hollywood make so many sequels and reboots every year is because that's what sells the most tickets. The film industry will adapt if that changes, but right now it doesn't look like it will - it is highly unlikely that the audience's interest in reboots and remakes will suddenly drop in 2015.

• Like 2

Interest in creativity applies to about 1% of the population. Everybody else will keep going to see whatever Hollywood regurgitates.

What the industry needs is decentralization. Take the power away from Hollywood and localize it.

What's funny is I read the title and was going to open the thread and say "as long as there are sequels the film market isn't gonna crash." Guess everyone already knows that and its already been said for me. Its a disappointing reality, but those are the films that are making the most money, so it will at least keep Hollywood thriving, but also deprive the public of what could be a lot of great big budget films with actual story. Independent films are great, but I miss the big screen classics that had studio support.

The creativity interest is still profitable, just not as much as the wide fantasy genre (superhero films) that is popular now. They send some of that profit to the arthouse branches to make Oscar films and generate interest.

People will get tired of these major films and they will have to find something new. Now with 3D they can do all sorts of new things. But there will always be people interested in creativity.

I can't see the movie industry being as successful as it once was. Yet again, I am not going to movies and making observations either.

They need something new. The best they have is improved 3D technology like Avatar how they tried to bill it as the next Star Wars. Adjusted for inflation, Avatar doesn't even touch the top ten.

• Like 1

The current video game generation is dazzled by special effects and continuous action so I don't see Hollywood changing their game plan anytime soon............

It's also world-wide market, without being too racist, action translates better around the world, and a kind simplified english. There's also this sort of eye candy element to Transformers. I don't really appreciate martial arts, but you see lots of people watching fight scenes on movies. There's a definitely a different slant to what people think is a good movie. To me it's like Tape, two guys drinking in a room, solving the world's problems is as good as two robots battling on the moon.

In a way the Xbox Kinect is more mind blowing than going to see Easy Rider or My Own Private Idaho.

Capitalism won people, there's no escape from the mass escapism.

Imagine playing Xbox Kinect in a 3D I max theatre with the whole audience playing Lord of the Rings conquest. Everyone individually taking part in key battles, people playing remotely from home bcos it's cheaper.

Why don't I max theatres stream live Rock shows in 3D? or show show more of them. It's as viscereal an experience but still at a cheaper price, warmth, watered down warm pepsi and soggy nachos cant be hard to duplicate.

What is wrong with sequels if done well?

We are getting freaking Star Wars Episode VII in 2015, there is no way that won't be financially successful (and hopefully will redeem the series). A lot of the other sequels sound cool too.

And its not like there aren't "original" movies anymore. Just look, Gravity is killing at the box office and that is a stand alone film. For blockbusters Ender's Game is about to come out and that is not a film sequel. There are always loads of movies that aren't part of a franchise (yet), they just don't get as much fanfare years before release because they aren't as known. I guarantee 2015 will have a few too along with all the sequels.

I don't have it on me, but I saw a list of major movies that have already been funded, planned for release in 2015 and it is literally nothing but sequels and reboots. Every year, the ratio of sequels and remakes to original movies gets higher and higher. I feel like, eventually, the public is going to get sick of this shit and we'll see a Hollywood crash in the next few years. I doubt more than 1/4 of these movies will make back their budget in the box office.

Unfortunately you equate the 'film market' to be utterly and completely Hollywood. There is a myriad of films made every year that are not Hollywood creations and do very well. Not one of them are sequels, they are all original and the rest of the world will enjoy them and soak them up.

Like Len said "One can only pray", in answer to the question. It's also my response to any Hollywood focus groups that think that sequels are the answer to tomorrow's films. The fact is that nothing in the US market is done without market research, like seriously, NOTHING (it takes a year for an ad campaign to be approved :rolleyes:) and at this time there are not enough investors willing to invest money in films which may or may not succeed at the box office. So they all go the safe route and only agree to invest in sequels which have proven market share. Most people like it. I'm not one of them and I'm glad.

Why do they do that to themselves, all the screen testing. Is it just pure consumerism? I get it most of movies are horrible so is the test audience for Iron Man 3. did they go an extended lunch break and get kidnapped by terrorist bcos its so obviously pants. All those awful jokes, no story, and that ending that rendered you actually watching the first 2 of grueling crap pointless. They screen test that and everyone said its great?

Why do they do that to themselves, all the screen testing. Is it just pure consumerism? I get it most of movies are horrible so is the test audience for Iron Man 3. did they go an extended lunch break and get kidnapped by terrorist bcos its so obviously pants. All those awful jokes, no story, and that ending that rendered you actually watching the first 2 of grueling crap pointless. They screen test that and everyone said its great?