Arcade Fire issue dress code for arena tour

sweetness

What the fuck? My girlfriend saw them in 2010 at Lollapalooza and loved them. She showed me their stuff and I like a few tunes.

A dress code for an arena tour is pretty hipsteresque and pretty stupid. People go to gigs to have fun and unwind. Hell, I've even worn jeans and a plain shirt to a symphony!

The funny thing is, I bet they are still selling $40 concert tour t shirts at the merch boots. And I mean, they can't possibly enforce this. If you show up in a t shirt and jeans, they aren't going to turn you away.

If they did that then fuck this band.

...lol Slash t shirts

The dress code was in effect at the smaller gigs they did. I went straight from work to their gig at the Roundhouse in London last Monday, so I just went in a suit (no tie, Ahmadinejad style ;) ), but it was cool seeing people in fancy dress and black tie. I got a free ballroom mask on the door.

"To everyone really upset about us asking people to dress up at our shows… please relax. It's super not mandatory. It just makes for a more fun carnival when we are all in it together. So far these have been the best shows we have ever played.

See you soon.

Love,

Arcade Fire"

Still kinda weird though.

"To everyone really upset about us asking people to dress up at our shows… please relax. It's super not mandatory. It just makes for a more fun carnival when we are all in it together. So far these have been the best shows we have ever played.

See you soon.

Love,

Arcade Fire"

I was about to freak the fuck out, and then the phrase "super not mandatory" made me :wub: them all over again.

It's not mandatory, and it's just a lot of fun. Friend of mine went to the 2nd Roundhouse gig in a skeleton onesie. Makes a change from your usual concert, which is what they're going for.

Really not understanding the hate for this.

• Like 1

It's not mandatory, and it's just a lot of fun. Friend of mine went to the 2nd Roundhouse gig in a skeleton onesie. Makes a change from your usual concert, which is what they're going for.

Really not understanding the hate for this.

Of course, because you feel it necessary to announce to everyone that you wear a suit to work.

- - -

Bottom line: it encourages aesthetic snobbery, which i utterly despise. Now, if it was just the venue insisting on it, that's different.

I think like most things they do, this is fucking stupid. I'm already annoyed with their fans, this would just make me hate them more. "Ooh, Arcade Fire told us to dress this way. Its awesome!" Everyone would make fun of another band if they were to do this, but because Arcade Fire is hipster their fans are fine with it.

• Like 1

Of course, because you feel it necessary to announce to everyone that you wear a suit to work.

- - -

Bottom line: it encourages aesthetic snobbery, which i utterly despise. Now, if it was just the venue insisting on it, that's different.

Wow. So I explain that I just wore a suit because that's what I *sometimes* wear at work, and it almost fit with the dress code so I could go straight after work without having to change, and that makes me a snob?

"Aesthetic snobbery"? Reverse elitism much?

It's a concert. They want to have some fun. Nobody's being snobby towards anyone here but you.

Nutjob.

Not sure I understand your problem. I say I went after work and wore a suit because I thought it was pretty funny, seeing as I've never worn a suit to a gig before. You then get all insecure and judgmental and accuse me, other Arcade Fire fans, and the band themselves of being snobs?

A year ago I was making lattes at Starbucks, and I'm not ashamed of it. I started my corporate job in May and handed in my notice a week ago so I could pursue my dream of starting up an awesome online music service. Corporate world isn't for me, but I'm not gonna knock somebody for taking a job and wearing a suit to pay the bills, or even to do what they love.

Aesthetic snobbery would be to look down on certain modes of dress, which you just did. Arcade Fire's "dress code" isn't even really one, it's more a suggestion, to fit in with how the band dress up as "The Reflektors" for this series of show. Were there twats in silly costumes at the gig? Yes, but they were having fun, so to each their own.

Most overrated band by far of the last 15 years. Yes they have talent and yes they put on a good live show but they are so far up their own ass its not even funny. I would expect nothing less from this band. This is one of the most pretentious and self important things I've seen a band do. What will be even worse is watching their pretentious douchebag hardcore fans defend it as art when the reality is it's just pure douchiness.

See you soon.

Love,

Arcade Fire"

The only reason they released that statement is becaue of the backlash. Only a fucking clown would think putting that as criteria for attending their shows would fly. To be honest though give them credit for having their finger on the pulse of their hardcore fan base who no doubt support this 100%

Not a hardcore fan, I just really like the new album.

Nobody was getting turned away at the door. I went with a friend who just came in a shirt and trousers.

The lead singer comes on wearing a giant mask. People in the audience are wearing masks. He cracks jokes about getting laid. It's all very silly.

Apparently this makes them Fashion Nazis? :shrugs: