Arcade Fire issue dress code for arena tour

sweetness

Not a hardcore fan, I just really like the new album.

Nobody was getting turned away at the door. I went with a friend who just came in a shirt and trousers.

The lead singer comes on wearing a giant mask. People in the audience are wearing masks. He cracks jokes about getting laid. It's all very silly.

Apparently this makes them Fashion Nazis? :shrugs:

Announcing it on their official website is one thing, having it printed on the actual tickets is completely pretentious. They wanted this without a doubt and felt if it was on the tickets it would seem mandatory. No different than the "No Cameras or recording devices allowed" thing they put on tickets. The backlash on this has been huge so of course they changed their tune. I used to like Arcade Fire. They make decent music but they are so far up their own ass it's not even funny and their hardcore fan base has really turned me off. Makes me not want to have anything to do with that scene knowing the types of people that are involved in it. A bunch of elitist, pretentious, hipster, poseur, losers. Kinda the way the entire Radiohead fan base shifted after Kid A. It should be just about the music and outside influences don't matter but I get that but when you see who the music is appealing to it honestly has an impact on how you view the music. Even if I still like the music I feel disconnected from it. I'm glad I think Reflektor sucks. No desire to check out their album based on that and the things I mentioned. This coming from a guy who owns their first two albums on CD and Vinyl. They've just become so pretentious in my mind and the fan base has become one of the worst in music it's caused me to lose all interest in them

Sorry for the rant. Just kinda pissed band I used to like has turned into this.

For me, it is just about the music. I was really surprised when a few of my friends who are hardcore Arcade Fire fans shat all over the new album. I don't follow the band so I don't know if they're pretentious or not, I just really liked the album and really enjoyed the show, it was something different. I know what you mean about fans of a band putting you off a band; I was put off Linkin Park and Korn for years because everyone who liked them when I was at school was a twat. It's only been in the past couple of years that I checked out their stuff and found I liked it.

They're trying to create a particular atmosphere at their shows. It's not mandatory. Fuckin' relax, people.

Too late, the message got through - the aesthetic snobs now know they need to dress up.

Bono's posts on this thread, including the parallels with radiohead, are pretty much spot on. There's money in milking the snob market. And plenty of cachet for the snobs to milk out of attaching the band to themselves in return.

Yeah, yeah, me me, i wore a suit to an Arcade Fire gig, you know... phhhfffttt!

They're trying to create a particular atmosphere at their shows. It's not mandatory. Fuckin' relax, people.

Too late, the message got through - the aesthetic snobs now know they need to dress up.

Bono's posts on this thread, including the parallels with radiohead, are pretty much spot on. There's money in milking the snob market. And plenty of cachet for the snobs to milk out of attaching the band to themselves in return.

Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme

I think like most things they do, this is fucking stupid. I'm already annoyed with their fans, this would just make me hate them more. "Ooh, Arcade Fire told us to dress this way. Its awesome!" Everyone would make fun of another band if they were to do this, but because Arcade Fire is hipster their fans are fine with it.

Guess I'm a hipster then. ;)

Oh do put a sock in it you big fat poof! :lol:

Oh do put a sock in it you big fat poof! :lol:

No need to repeat what your new wife says to you.

:lol:

• Like 1

I don't care if it were the Rolling Stones and tickets were just 10 euro's. Any band that imposes a dress code can go fuck themselves. Horribly arrogant move. And very disrespectful to your fans.

Joan of Arc was amazing live. Mate of mine got Supersymmetry the following night, he loved it.

I love Joan of Arc. One of my favourites. In fact there are so many songs on this album that I relate to in a really profound way. The timing is incredible and just a great album IMO.