What bands are better than Guns N' Roses?

ITG

Guns N' Roses has an illustrious catalog of anthems. Millions of albums sold. A place in rock history. Even still, there are other bands that have an equal or better set of albums. What are some bands that compete with or are better than GN'R?

You need to be a little more specific with your question.

Are we talking in terms of the life of the band? So DJ gets credit for Appetite and Illusions?

Or are you talking today - how does the current band stack up against other major bands?

And are you asking who we PERSONALLY like the best, or do you want people to give an honest answer about where today's bands stack up against other bands (without our personal bias)?

For me,

Classic line-up - best rock band of my generation. Top five rock bands of all time.

CD line-up/Finck/Bucket era - I'd say in 2008, 2009 they were the best rock band out there. CD is my favorite rock album of the last decade.

Current line-up....can't really be sure as they haven't released an album yet. So how can you judge them or compare them against bands that have released music?

GnR is still my favorite band. But one album in the last 15 years, a revolving door of musicians, no new album in sight, random touring (40 shows per year average).......only somebody extremely biased would say they are a better band than current bands that put out more music, tour more often, sell more records, etc. Favorite and Best are two different things.

Chainsforalice - have you been to any other live shows besides GnR?

Edited by Groghan
  • Like 1

Guns n' Roses is a singularity. It defies classification. It cannot be compared.

So the combination that released Appetite, Lies, and two Illusions in a five year period and that set records for touring numbers (33,000 a show I think) should be graded at the same level as the current group that hasn't released anything in the last five years and couldn't sell out a 3,000 seat venue in one of their last shows?

I'm not saying the current group couldn't repeat that success, especially with Axl on vocals. But unfortunately, Axl/Beta/Fernando aren't interested in reaching those levels of success.

Yep seen Aerosmith

Zz top

Dead Daises

Alice in chains

Fozzy

Stone Sour

Sebastian Bach

Metallica

Linkin Park

Pearl Jam

Incubus

Counting Crows

I respect your opinion. Music is all about personal preference.

I'm just curious on a couple things! Thank you for answering.

Are you saying today's band - 2013 GnR - are a better live band than any other band out there? And do you mean YOUR favorite - or you actually mean they are the best, regardless of them being your favorite. (There is a difference between a band being your favorite or saying they are the best).

• Like 1

Yep seen Aerosmith

Zz top

Dead Daises

Alice in chains

Fozzy

Stone Sour

Sebastian Bach

Metallica

Linkin Park

Pearl Jam

Incubus

Counting Crows

Are you saying today's band - 2013 GnR - are a better live band than any other band out there? And do you mean YOUR favorite - or you actually mean they are the best, regardless of them being your favorite. (There is a difference between a band being your favorite or saying they are the best).

The nerve of some people, right Groghan. How dare anybody have the opinion that Guns is the greatest in the world. Thank the lord you're here to set them straight.

Guns N' Roses has an illustrious catalog of anthems. Millions of albums sold. A place in rock history. Even still, there are other bands that have an equal or better set of albums. What are some bands that compete with or are better than GN'R?

Which Guns N Roses?

edit without sarcasn... personally for me: Aerosmith, Pantera, Alice in Chains, Nine inch Nails. My history. That's me. You can spout your beatles, Zep, Ozzy, Mettalica. I dunno. Those were my bands. They are no more. Neither is GnR.

(sarcasm)

Edited by abpagain

Yep seen Aerosmith

Zz top

Dead Daises

Alice in chains

Fozzy

Stone Sour

Sebastian Bach

Metallica

Linkin Park

Pearl Jam

Incubus

Counting Crows

The nerve of some people, right Groghan. How dare anybody have the opinion that Guns is the greatest in the world. Thank the lord you're here to set them straight.

I didn't "set them straight" and I was very polite to him.

People can have a discussion about GnR without it being negative.

I asked him a couple questions - politely, without insulting him.

And he answered. Politely. Without insults.

You should try it some time!!!! You'll find it's possible to disagree with somebody without having to insult them.

Yep seen Aerosmith

Zz top

Dead Daises

Alice in chains

Fozzy

Stone Sour

Sebastian Bach

Metallica

Linkin Park

Pearl Jam

Incubus

Counting Crows

You should try it some time!!!! You'll find it's possible to disagree with somebody without having to insult them.

You'd think a man with your high level of intelligence would be able to recognize a post with no insults when they quote one. You'd think anyway. :shrugs:

Yep seen Aerosmith

Zz top

Dead Daises

Alice in chains

Fozzy

Stone Sour

Sebastian Bach

Metallica

Linkin Park

Pearl Jam

Incubus

Counting Crows

You'd think a man with your high level of intelligence would be able to recognize a post with no insults when they quote one. You'd think anyway. :shrugs:

Uhhh, OK.

How about this.............you win!

Now back on topic.

Thanks Aliceforchains for the discussion!

Yep seen Aerosmith

Zz top

Dead Daises

Alice in chains

Fozzy

Stone Sour

Sebastian Bach

Metallica

Linkin Park

Pearl Jam

Incubus

Counting Crows

Uhhh, OK.

Now back on topic.

What's my prize?

Yep seen Aerosmith

Zz top

Dead Daises

Alice in chains

Fozzy

Stone Sour

Sebastian Bach

Metallica

Linkin Park

Pearl Jam

Incubus

Counting Crows

Uhhh, OK.

Now back on topic.

What's my prize?

For one day, you get to be Brainsaber's best friend?