Rolling Stone 1991 UYI Recap

RussTCB

I bought a bunch of old Rolling Stone issues the other day. I was flipping through the 1991 Year In Review issue and came across their "Album Highlights" section so of course a recap of UYI was in there. In describing the album, they said "included is the anti-Vince Neil rant 'Shotgun Blues'" (or something close to that)

I've never cared about Shotgun Blues enough to dig into the lyrics, but I'd never heard anything about it being about Vince Neil. Is that common knowledge and I missed it all these years?

• Like 1

It is common knowledge for old enough fans yeah lol

This.

The song has been rumored to be about vince neil for a long time.

My point was that in all the years that I've been a GN'R fan, I'd never cared about the song enough to look into the meaning of it. I don't know how, but I'd never read that anywhere.

The write up is pretty derogatory towards the album tbh. I'll take a picture and post it in a few.

I'm the only one on the planet that likes Shotgun Blues lol

I'll take a picture and post it in a few.

Cool thanks for sharing. I know at the time a lot of fans hated the UYI albums same way they hated CD.

Metallica fans also hated the black album when it came out...I'll never understand it...

Cool thanks for sharing. I know at the time a lot of fans hated the UYI albums same way they hated CD.

Metallica fans also hated the black album when it came out...I'll never understand it...

I like the song. It's much better than So Fine lmao

Does that mean that one day all these people will be praising CD like they do UYI? Can't wait to call them all out on it :lol:

Same issue has this gem on the inside cover:

2n0sxsi.jpg

That actually looks like ChiD's reviews....interesting. Russ, you're in Detroit, right? Did you go to a midnight release of the album?

Yeah, Detroit. I grew up about 45 minutes north of the city. I didn't get to go to the midnight but all of the Harmony House locations in the area did a midnight AND opened at 8am the next day for sale. I ditched my first hour, Current Events class to grab both prior to school. When my teacher got wind of it, he made me write a report on the albums for my next paper due. That's not saying much though because it's the same teacher that let me use a (then) recent episode of Saturday Night Live in a presentation I did for class haha.

• Like 1

I like the song. It's much better than So Fine lmao

Does that mean that one day all these people will be praising CD like they do UYI? Can't wait to call them all out on it :lol:

CD will be even more epic than the illusions since them music is better and I can't wait to tell GNR fans "I told you so" lol

That's awesome :lol: I had a teacher last year like that. I got an A on a paper I handed in comparing the way Jackson treated the Native Americans and American Imperalisim to The Empire in Star Wars and various things in that galaxy. What did the store have, do you remember? Was it just vinyl and tapes?

That's awesome :lol: I had a teacher last year like that. I got an A on a paper I handed in comparing the way Jackson treated the Native Americans and American Imperalisim to The Empire in Star Wars and various things in that galaxy. What did the store have, do you remember? Was it just vinyl and tapes?

I don't remember seeing any vinyl at the time. I believe it was just cassettes and CDs. Though, when I got there they already had a big line that led right to the register where they were just asking if you wanted I, II or both and what format.

On the topic of Shotgun Blues, I remember the exact moment I stopped caring about the song. There was nothing catchy to it so it was just kind of playing in the car. I remember sitting at a light and clearly hearing "and you....YOU CAN SUCK ME ASS" and I was like "Oh fuck this song" hahaha. Had to reach down, dislodge the portable CD player for the harness and fumble with it then fight to get it settled back in. That's the exact moment I lost interest in the song haha.

On the topic of Rolling Stone, I'd like to point out that this article uses Don't Damn Me as an example of highlights from UYI I...

edit-

Changed the name of the thread in case people might be interested in reading the recap.

I remember sitting at a light and clearly hearing "and you....YOU CAN SUCK ME ASS" and I was like "Oh fuck this song" hahaha.

That was one of the great things about classic guns.....they didn't give a fuck about anything.

At the time that was cool but maybe I appreciated it more because I was a young punk?

Today it wouldn't be appealing to me if GNR released lyrics like that.

I remember sitting at a light and clearly hearing "and you....YOU CAN SUCK ME ASS" and I was like "Oh fuck this song" hahaha.

That was one of the great things about classic guns.....they didn't give a fuck about anything.

At the time that was cool but maybe I appreciated it more because I was a young punk?

Today it wouldn't be appealing to me if GNR released lyrics like that.

Meant to include this; this was of course only a moment after I'd finally heard Get In The Ring for the first time. There was a LOT of hype about Get In The Ring leading up to the album release and when I finally heard it, I was sort of indifferent. I just thought "Dude is bitching about a lot of stuff I don't really care about". So when SB played, that one line stood out and I just thought "Oh quit-yer-bitchin'" lol. I remember not liking Breakdown much either (spoiler alert: it's one of my all time faves now), but then I listened to Pretty Tied Up no less than 3 times in a row after that, louder each time of course.

By that time most record stores weren't selling vinyl, however, you could go to an independent "mom and pop" record store or a place DJs would go to get dance mixes and get it there. Radio stations were just starting to use CDs so there was still a need to sell records.

I also like Shotgun Blues, not my favorite. But I don´t have a problem with it. I heard before it was about Vince Neil. I thought it was a rumor. Apparently it was Izzy the troublemaker. It is believed he had an affair or just a mere one night stand with Vince´s wife.

I also like Shotgun Blues, not my favorite. But I don´t have a problem with it. I heard before it was about Vince Neil. I thought it was a rumor. Apparently it was Izzy the troublemaker. It is believed he had an affair or just a mere one night stand with Vince´s wife.

What a guy!

For those interested, here's another article on them from the same issue:

Many thanks for sharing these articles. They're really interesting.