Rolling Stone 1991 UYI Recap

RussTCB

I also like Shotgun Blues, not my favorite. But I don´t have a problem with it. I heard before it was about Vince Neil. I thought it was a rumor. Apparently it was Izzy the troublemaker. It is believed he had an affair or just a mere one night stand with Vince´s wife.

What a guy!

For those interested, here's another article on them from the same issue:

Many thanks for sharing these articles. They're really interesting.

You're welcome. There's a ton of awesome stuff in these old mags, I just never think to share it lol. That Shotgun Blues thing stuck out to me though as I'd never knew that. I figured people might like seeing the actual articles themselves :)

Shotgun Blues is great. Never understood the dislike of Shotgun Blues.

I agree Get in the Ring is just too much.

get in the ring at least has a cool riff. i have an instrumental demo on my computer and it's awesome. that and shotgun blues kind of capture the cliched version of axl rose in full force, ranting against his enemies and whatnot, so in that regard they're memorable; but as a whole they're not particularly great songs. i think get in the ring is way better than shotgun blues though, if only for the riff. shotgun blues is a pretty disposable song through-and-through, maybe even worse than my world (at least my world was...different).

I really can't think of any redeeming quality for shotgun blues or get in the ring. For 19-20 year old punk rockers, sure they're fine lyrically. But coming from nearly thirty year old rock stars? Pretty cringe inducing. Plus the music is as by the books as it gets.

If you take it the rant and the ridiculous ring announcer GITR is a kickass tune with great music. Might have been better if Duff had sung most of it

Exactly. All of my problems with GitR come from the lyrical content. I dig the sound of Axl's vox, just not what he's saying. I get that he was livid with everything going on around the band, but it just seems like he could have made his points much better than those lyrics suggestion.

There was a mick wall interview i think where Axl says Vince needs a good ass whoopin and Im the boy to give it to him. It was obvious on first listen about Vince. I thought it was best on UYI 2 for the first few years.

And because of that interview Mick Wall is mentioned in Get In The Ring