Which Members of GN'R don't have to live off the GN'R Name?

ITG

Which members (past or present) could probably have a successful career without having any association or referencing GN'R? Buckethead comes to mind. Slash too (he barely references them ever). Steven Adler probably not :lol: but he keeps the dream alive.

Outside of the fact they were marketed as gn'r plus stp, velvet revolver proved that slash and duff could make music that was relevant to a modern audience.

This is sort of a broad question though, I'd assume all of them have some sort of skills outside of their musicianship. Duff is a pretty good columnist in seattle with the occasional appearance on espn.com. Slash legend has it was a good artist. Bumble and many of the other guys had entire music careers before guns ever came into play.

I think the only correct answer is that Adler is one who could not live without the gn'r name.

Slash and Buckethead only, because they are icons (of different level, obviously, but they are known to the public and have distinctive features that make them known). Everyone else couldn't be "successful".

Duff has success, but its on a minor level. Not a knock to him, but without Slash he won't be very successful without living off the GNR name. And he doesn't try, so good on him.

Steven can't and he's proven that in his many failed bands. Izzy probably can't, but then again I hardly think he cares. Matt Sorum can't, although he's been in other bands so maybe he could that way. But I still think he'd be at Duff's level or below.

Axl could be but he refuses to try.

Gilby can't. Paul Tobias can't. Dizzy Reed can't. Those "bitches" on Coma can't. Just the first two. And Axl if he were to grow some balls, although he may have ruined his chances in the last 20 years.

• Like 1

Your question was could anyone that has been in the GNR camp could they have a successfull carear without GNR ever existing.

Axl I don't think so

Slash without him being in GNR he would not be the star he is today and his drug and alchol abuse would have gotten him most likely.

Duff No he would have most likely stayed on the drugy lifestyle

Izzy I think it would be no too

Steven No drugs would have gotten hime also

Everyone else brought in to replace someone all had some sort of a gig going so to say they would have made it big it is possible for some of them but not all.

But that being said any one of the orginal 5 could have ended up in another band that got a record deal but there are too many unknowns to make and eductated guess as to who and how far they might have gone.

What any member has done while in GNR or after they left the band will always be the guy that was in GNR and make a living off the GNR name even though they don't use it anymore. This goes double for the AFD and UYI lineups.