British woman "overdoses" on marijuana. Lol

AxlisOld

There's a lot on remaining sober, not specifically denying smoking weed/snorting coke/Krokodil or whatever your poison is, but sobriety in general is certainly promoted. However, so is sensible wine drinking, :D

What's that bit about killing your neighbour for working on a Sunday? :P:lol:

Guest Len B'stard

They're just using the term overdose as a convenient definition for death involving drugs. Walking in front of a bus whilst on cocaine is a death involving drugs too but walking in front of a bus isn't exactly a consequence of doing coke.

• Like 1

Sympathy to her family, especially her kids.

I don't get why they're making a deal out of that she was a Christian. Yes, the Bible says you shouldn't take recreational drugs, neither should you break the law, but out of all possible sins, smoking half a joint as medication help you sleep is probably justifiable. She was obviously under a lot of stress already if she wasn't sleeping as she should. A glass of wine to unwind, or a joint? No difference to me, other than one's legal.

If weed was legal, I'd probably try it. God made hemp a wonderfully versatile plant for a reason. :)

I did read your latter post clarifying your point on Bible encouraging sobriety but I still have to ask why you said the Bible would condemn the usage of drugs that are considered recreational but not used for getting into a messed up state? My understanding is that much isn't said directly about other drugs than alcohol, except about drugging up other people with herbs. But does moderate usage of a drug considered recreational equal to "shouldn't take recreational drugs"?

Also, I think the condemnation of breaking the law point could be argued when the law conflicts God's law, commandments or advice? Aren't there even verses saying this?

As for example what you said, hemp, a wonderfully versatile plant made by God.. And other plants too, aren't they all for the use of man according to the Bible?

I have limited knowledge and I'm not arguing anything here really but I believe this could make an interesting conversation yet not being even off topic given the article certainly didn't forget to make sure the woman was a Christian.

Since you asked...

From a generally Biblical perspective, everything in the universe exists for the use/cultivation/protection of man/woman. Humankind requested to be wise in their approach to life (which is why 21st cen. Creationists irritate me). Anyway, so if we're being wise, smoking cannabis for medical use can be justified. However cannabis also poses risks. Be wise, understanding the risks involved when your body is a temple may lead you to conclude that recreational drug use is forbidden.

As for God's law vs. governmental law, there are two factors to consider:

If you're a theist, you probably consider God's law to be eternally true. And governmental law to be developed by politicians over time.

Living as a Christian can and does conflict with governmental laws, depending on your geographical location. St. Paul in the New Testament encourages Christians to stand up for Christ, risking persecution if necessary. (Almost half the Bible was written from prison...go figure).

But we're also commanded to respect governmental laws (which mostly exist for the common good). Some governments make it difficult to live openly as a Christian, where your life is at risk.

In conclusion, pick your battles :)

I'll happily discuss this further via PM if you ever wish. I don't normally discuss religion on the forum because it attracts timewasters/cupcakes.

• Like 1

They're just using the term overdose as a convenient definition for death involving drugs. Walking in front of a bus whilst on cocaine is a death involving drugs too but walking in front of a bus isn't exactly a consequence of doing coke.

betcha 9 times out of 10, the person who walked in front of a bus was high on something. legal or not.

Sympathy to her family, especially her kids.

I don't get why they're making a deal out of that she was a Christian. Yes, the Bible says you shouldn't take recreational drugs, neither should you break the law, but out of all possible sins, smoking half a joint as medication help you sleep is probably justifiable. She was obviously under a lot of stress already if she wasn't sleeping as she should. A glass of wine to unwind, or a joint? No difference to me, other than one's legal.

If weed was legal, I'd probably try it. God made hemp a wonderfully versatile plant for a reason. :)

Christian here. The Bible says nothing about recreational drug use.

Scripture please?

Christian here. The Bible says nothing about recreational drug use.

Scripture please?

I have since clarified to Arnold, saying that the Bible is very clear on the benefits of sobriety in general (not specifically rec. drugs). Please read the thread. :)

I read the thread Gracii..

I don't think you really clarified anything. The Bible only talks about sobriety for like a second.

And then everyone is drinking wine.

I wasn't so much trying to call you out, as I was just curious if you know a passage that I didn't know, or had a different interpretation of one that I did.

Edited by SunnyDRE

"British woman "overdoses" on marijuana. Lol"

Except that's not funny at the very least.

Except? Did you extend any criticism to the OP and 3 pages of gawking? I guess some drug deaths are funnier than others.

What did you hope to accomplish with that post?

O_o You know what, never mind.

"British woman "overdoses" on marijuana. Lol"

Except that's not funny at the very least.

Except? Did you extend any criticism to the OP and 3 pages of gawking? I guess some drug deaths are funnier than others.

What did you hope to accomplish with that post?

O_o You know what, never mind.

I was loling that they blamed it on a marijuana overdose, and the bias of the article in general, not that she died.

I got what you meant by the post.