Atlas Shrugged the Book?

The title is grandiose and interesting, but it's just a manifesto for the supposed beauty of capitalism. The hilarious thing is, she chose the wrong thing to be paranoid about (i.e. communism).

It's actually monopoly capitalism that has ravaged her 'beloved' US of A in the way she described.

Haven't read that book, but seen a few movies based of it, and some documentary and synopsis on it.

How good of a book it is depends I guess. Thematically I don't agree with her vision of the future and the state, but it can be a good start to some other political philosophy. The premise of the story is a oil crisis and the government is trying to block the industry leaders from building new profitable railways. So it's about the government hand trying to stop innovation and prosperity. The main character is the good business woman, and her brother is the guy trying to please the government. Needless to say who "wins".

The problem with Ayn Rands thinking is that she believed that the marked in it self is good, and that the rich has good intentions for the poor and the well-being of mankind. But personally I don't believe that to be true. The idea that wealth trickles down is not very well empirically founded, since the wealth gap is ever widening, meaning that wealthy people are getting wealthier compared to the rest of the population. So I don't believe that Ayn Rands free marked is the best, is the right way to go, since most of the wealthy states in the world today are wealthy partially because trade regulations.

I think her childhood in the Soviet Union severely traumatized her.

The book almost works as an allegory at times but she's trying to be too literal too often. It's shocking sometimes to read a scene and realize that this is not intentional exaggeration, she actually believes this stuff.

As a novel it's not bad for the first two parts, it's got a cool end of the world vibe to it, and even the philosophizing is not all bad, but the last part is atrocious.

I'm sure there are plenty of books equally jarring on the other end of the spectrum, going at ramming speed against capitalism, they're just not as well known.

On a related note: when I was at UCL last year the Conservative Society invited the president of the Ayn Rand Institute to give a speech. I saw it advertised on a billboard and it was free entry (I was NOT part of the Conservative Society!) and went there out of curiosity. I would never have imagined I could hear so much facepalm worthy bullshit in the space of two hours!...

I kinda want to read it just to see why some people claim Ayn Rand is such an evil lunatic.

It's not a very good book.

The Fountainhead was really enjoyable though, if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I've read either book.

It's actually monopoly capitalism that has ravaged her 'beloved' US of A in the way she described.

No offense....but if the USA has been "ravaged"....I must have missed it.

When I say ravaged, don't think "apocalypse", think disastrous financial system.