2014 NHL Thread

Ace Nova

3 of those reactions are legit. Not sure how many of you guys have played hockey but getting hit in the face with a stick causes you to react that way. A lot of times even if the stick doesn't hit you, you see it and snap your head back or away just based on natural instinct. However 2 of those were really embarrassing. BUT every team does it. Boston is horrible for it.

Edited by Bono

here's something that grnds my gears. I played hockey my entire life growing up. I was a goalie. I played Junior A, I've coached for 17 years. In that time I've evaluated players, picked teams, ran practices, put together game plans for teams I coach, know how to adjust lines in game, have been asked to help AAA bantam and Midget teams evaluate players during their selection process and was even asked to coach in the Alberta Junior Hockey league(AJHL - Junior A) and yet I have a buddy who has never played, his entire hockey career consists of watching NHL games on tv and he thinks he's the be all end all when it comes to hockey expertise. he's of the opinion that had Carey Price not been hurt Montreal would've beat the Rangers. I don't share that opinion as Dustin Tokarski played insanely well. BUT that's not good enough for him. He feels Montreals "200 foot" game suffered because Price wasn't in net and had he been there Montreal's offense would've been better. Never mind that in the 3 games Tokarski lost his GAA was 1.67 but no Carey Price was not only going to play at that level(which is possible) but he was going to boost the offense as well. I asked my buddy how he figures that. He says emotionally and mentally they'd have more confidence with Price in net therefore they'd be better offensively. I told him him all the players care about when it comes to their goalie is whether or not he can keep them in games, make big saves when needed and not let in back breaking goals. Tokarski did all that and the team had confidence in him. But nope my buddy goes on to say I don't udnerstand the mental and emotinal aspect fo the game and that he watches more NHL games than anybody else he knows. This fucking idiot thinks because he watches games on tv that he knows the little intracacies of the game and that he understands the emotional and mental side of it more than I do. Then he says to me he's tired of fringe hockey fans like myself acting like they know the game. I felt like punching him in the fucking face. He's entitled to his opinion but when a guy that has never even played and can barely even skate says to me that I don't understand aspects of the game that I've actually experienced and that he, a fan who's only ever watched on tv does...... yeah he can go fuck himself. Lesson learned. Do not discuss hockey with absolute idiots. This is a guy who called Gary Bettman after Chara hit Pacioretty a few years ago to complain, so yeah that says all you need to know.

Anyways just ranting

• 2 weeks later...

Rangers are dead in the water.

Because the last game went into so many overtimes, and because someone down here in Texas had to set their home on fire because it was falling into the sea, I missed my soap, Days of Our lives. Nbc here in Dallas was going to air it at 1:07 last night but then the damn hockey game ran over and that was that.

I really hate sports. I think it's just too much importance put on it.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else think the market for goalies is drying up? It seems that teams are getting burned time and time again for signing big name goalies to big contracts, and time and time again "no names" are stealing the starting jobs. The market is saturated with goalie talent and there are only 30 starting jobs available in the league. I think outside of the proven elite (Lundqvist, Quick, etc.) we're going to see less and less big goalie contracts in the future.

• Like 1

Anyone else think the market for goalies is drying up? It seems that teams are getting burned time and time again for signing big name goalies to big contracts, and time and time again "no names" are stealing the starting jobs. The market is saturated with goalie talent and there are only 30 starting jobs available in the league. I think outside of the proven elite (Lundqvist, Quick, etc.) we're going to see less and less big goalie contracts in the future.

And just as you post this Ben Bishop extends his contract with a cap hit of 5.95M.

And just as you post this Ben Bishop extends his contract with a cap hit of 5.95M.

That actually inspired the post.

That actually inspired the post.

Well then, yes of course the market is drying up, Pretty much all teams has their #1&2 goalies all set, some for a long time.

Who's left to sign with anyone? ole man Brodeur? He's too old, too bad and should realize soon that it's best for him to retire. Same goes for Giguere, Khabibulin and Thomas. Bryzgalov is probably done as well.

Isn't this the way it's always been?

Edited by CheapJon

What I'm saying is I think in general, we're going to see less Luongo/Bryzgalov-esque contracts as more and more teams get burnt by them. The position is just too unstable to spend big bucks/term on unless you've got an exceptional talent like Rask or Price. Even with them I wouldn't be doing no 8 years at 8 mil.

Edited by bacardimayne

What I'm saying is I think in general, we're going to see less Luongo/Bryzgalov-esque contracts as more and more teams get burnt by them. The position is just too unstable to spend big bucks/term on unless you've got an exceptional talent like Rask or Price. Even with them I wouldn't be doing no 8 years at 8 mil.

i have not followed nhl in a long time because UFC made all other sports seem silly by comparison BUT i have a few things to add...

a. i thought Rick DiPetro (or whatever) 's contract was silly at the time.

goaltending is such a crazy position it is insane to tie yourself to anyone for an extended period. the mental game (like fighting) can make or break a very talented person... just look at the guys who have had hot streaks to become "mediocre" (while still relatively amazing) - Halak - Boucher - Remier - Hiller , etc.

I think goaltending is a 4-3 year commitment at best. I've said it before, and i'm reluctant to re-mention it but lets be honest ,it was true then, its true now, JOSE THEODORE! 2001 (or whatever) MVP OF THE FUCKING LEAGUE <not a caps mistake) how much would you pay a goalie who won the Hart trophy? 100 million dollars for 13 years?

btw, where is Jose now? in Florida getting his dick sucked by some hot Quebecois? not that i blame him. Well played jose.

Point is, every NHL goalie is amazing. You really need to be careful.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. DiPietro's contract was preposterous. Even if he wasn't made of wet sand (glass is too sturdy to describe him), he's still just not that good and never was. 15 fucking years?

Every time a contract like Luongo, Bryz or Rinne's is signed, I feel that it's a bad move. In Rinne's case it's worked out* for the Preds. The other two were a buyout and a dump trade. Not good odds. As an Oilers fan I'm much happier with Scrivens and Fasth than I would be signing some former starter coming off a career year to a 7 year deal.

*So far

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen any of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge videos? I think Ference had the best one until Biznasty posted his.

Ference:

https://amp.twimg.com/v/00b08088-1088-46c5-b8e4-906b9106fab7

Bissonette

In 2 weeks 5.7 million dollars have been raised for the cause. Yesterday alone raised 1.7M, might have something to do with Bissonette's video. He nominated Lebron James as well, it would be huge if he did it.