2014 NHL Thread

Ace Nova

Here's the thing re: losing Price / going with Tokarski

Any goaltender even in the ballpark of making the NHL is amazing.

Any one of those guys has the potential to catch fire and be lights out.

I'm not at all surprised at how well Tokarski played. They are all capable of that. The big question is: can he sustain it? That is what separates the legends from the greats (they're all great, even Trevor Kidd. Toronto largely signed him in 04’ due to a 40 save 1 goal performance he had with Florida vs. Toronto the year before. How’d that turn out?).

Examples of [relatively] mediocre NHL goalies catching fire:

Johan Hedberg w/ Pittsburgh in 2000(ish)

Brian Boucher w/ Philly 1999

Brian Boucher w/ Phoenix in 2002 set the shut out record with 5 straight shut outs playing for Phoenix

Jose Theodore w/ Montreal in 2002 won the Hart trophy as the league MVP. Where is he now?

Jaro Halak w/ Montreal in 2010 was so good it was almost literally unbelievable. How'd that turn out? How many teams has he been with over the last 5 months? like 3?

Point is, Tokarski is capable of putting in a 50 save shutout performance in any one game as they all are. The real question is, can he sustain that over an entire series, and really big picture, can he do it over an entire career.

This is the right timing for him. Sometimes these really young guys first hit the league and they are so motivated and fresh they are able to go on a tear (Patrick Lalime - Pittsburgh 1996 - won first 16 games). The real challenge comes in down the stretch or in year 2 when you have to continue playing well in game 50,51,52 etc.

Tokarski has 11 career games, he is still in that honeymoon phase where he can get up for games. Much more difficult to pull off in career game 60. This is a strike while the iron is hot scenario.

• Like 1

Here's the thing re: losing Price / going with Tokarski

Any goaltender even in the ballpark of making the NHL is amazing.

Any one of those guys has the potential to catch fire and be lights out.

I'm not at all surprised at how well Tokarski played. They are all capable of that. The big question is: can he sustain it? That is what separates the legends from the greats (they're all great, even Trevor Kidd. Toronto largely signed him in 04’ due to a 40 save 1 goal performance he had with Florida vs. Toronto the year before. How’d that turn out?).

Examples of [relatively] mediocre NHL goalies catching fire:

Johan Hedberg w/ Pittsburgh in 2000(ish)

Brian Boucher w/ Philly 1999

Brian Boucher w/ Phoenix in 2002 set the shut out record with 5 straight shut outs playing for Phoenix

Jose Theodore w/ Montreal in 2002 won the Hart trophy as the league MVP. Where is he now?

Jaro Halak w/ Montreal in 2010 was so good it was almost literally unbelievable. How'd that turn out? How many teams has he been with over the last 5 months? like 3?

Point is, Tokarski is capable of putting in a 50 save shutout performance in any one game as they all are. The real question is, can he sustain that over an entire series, and really big picture, can he do it over an entire career.

This is the right timing for him. Sometimes these really young guys first hit the league and they are so motivated and fresh they are able to go on a tear (Patrick Lalime - Pittsburgh 1996 - won first 16 games). The real challenge comes in down the stretch or in year 2 when you have to continue playing well in game 50,51,52 etc.

Tokarski has 11 career games, he is still in that honeymoon phase where he can get up for games. Much more difficult to pull off in career game 60. This is a strike while the iron is hot scenario.

Your point about Halak isn't fair. It doesn't matter how many teams he's been with the last 5 months. That was horseshit. He played really well for St. Louis. As a team when he was there they were always at or near the very top of the league in GAA. They blew it when they traded a playoff proven goaltender for Ryan Miller. Who won that trade? Buffalo obviously. Halak just signed a four year deal with the Islanders so his short stints with Buffalo where he never even played a game I believe and his stint in Washington where the GM and coach are now gone aren't relevant to making a point of how bad Halak is. Halak is a world class goaltender who played in the Olympics and is being leaned on by the Islanders to be their backbone for the next four years so.........

Also Jose Theodore was a starter in the league for almost 10 full years. He was pretty great in Washington too when it came to winning games but they're idiots who would always ditch him in the playoffs after only one loss. He also had decent numbers on a shitty team in Florida his first year there until he got hurt. Obviously Theodore was never gonna reach the heights of that one year in 2002 when he had one of the best years for a goalie of all time. I think that hurt people's perception of him. When he dropped down to earth and played lieka capable starter people actually thought he was shitty but he wasn't. he simply wasn't playing like an absolute god which is what people unfairly expected of him. He was also on Team Canada at the World Cup in 2004 and he was good for Montreal for 3 or 4 years so it's not like he was a one year flash in the pan. Theodore had a pretty good run.

Better examples of flashes in the pan would've been guys like Jim Carey, Andrew Raycroft and even Ilya Bryzgalov who has basically sucked since leaving Phoenix although played kinda well for Minnesota in the playoffs this year.

I agree with what you're saying about fresh faced goalies getting hot though. They can all do it but can they sustain it. Thing with Tokarski is he's won at every single level. He won a Telus Cup(National championship in Canada for Major Midget), He's won the Memorial Cup(CHL Major Junior championship), he's won World Junior Gold, he's won a Caulder Cup(AHL championship) so he at least knows how to win and perform at the biggest stages of what every stage he's been on. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Imagine if he plays lights out and the Habs win the series and then Carey Price is healthy for the finals.... Hmmmmm.......

Edited by Bono

Halak had a great .930 SV% this year with the Caps and a decent enough .917 SV% with the Blues. I don't think he's one of the best goalies in the league, but he should be an above average starter for the Islanders going forward. I don't think he was a scrub that just happened to get hot.

Halak had a great .930 SV% this year with the Caps and a decent enough .917 SV% with the Blues. I don't think he's one of the best goalies in the league, but he should be an above average starter for the Islanders going forward. I don't think he was a scrub that just happened to get hot.

i didn't mean to suggest he is a scrub, he is definitely legit, but he is not in that top 10% conversation.

none of them are scrubs, they are all incredible.

• Like 1

Habs totally blew it big time tonight! Unreal. All 3 Rangers goals were breakaway goals. The Habs just gave it away. 1/8 on the powerplay just isn't good enough when you get that many opportunites and to cap it off they give up a shorthanded goal. Brutal. The last three games have been 1 goal games, 2 of them in overtime. Habs could pull off three in a row cause the teams are pretty even but not f-ing likely. My guess is Rangers win at home in game 6. I'll be cheering for the Rangers in the finals if they do advance.

New York Rangers vs LA Kings would be a dream final for the league.

GO HABS GO!

Wow that was a wild game.

Obviously it's not a "Must win" situation for the Rangers in game 6 but if Montreal can somehow squeak out a win in New York on Thursday I think they'll take the series in 7. Don't really see NY winning a game 7 in Montreal with that crowd behind the Habs and the letdown of blowing a 3-1 series lead...... getting way ahead of myself though. Not like the Rangers will roll over. HUGE game Thursday. Can't wait.

Go Habs Go!

kings are money, i've put my money on them all playoffs long and they've been payin off. I felt like they could not lose game 7 vs Anaheim. They have championship pedigree, as do the Blackhawks, but i think the Blackhawks winning ways are more Hollywood whereas the Kings winning is based in hard work which is a much better foundation for a winner.

I don't see NY having trouble winning in MTL if it goes to a game 7, they already did it twice to start the series.

I don't see the Rangers taking 3/4 in Montreal and definitely not the game 7 after blowing a 3-1 lead

But again if the Habs don't win tonight we won't get to find out haha

word on the street is- Price is coming back for game 6.

If so, and if this goes the way i want it to, Price carries the Canadiens to the Cup and Tokarski wins Conn Smythe, 1000%

Price will not come back. He hasn't even practiced with the team yet and hasn't faced any shots at all since being injured. He won't be back for game 6 and if the Habs force game 7 Tokarski will start that game no matter what.

Tonight may very well be the last game Bob Cole calls for CBC on Hockey Night in Canada. If it is, what a way to go out. He's been phenomenal all night.

He's always fantastic and what I don't understand is why he hasn't been calling any of the Montreal series in this year's playoffs.

Well I'll be cheering for the Rangers in the final. Would be cool to see St. Louis and Lundqvist win the Cup.

Montreal deserved to lose. That third period was pathetic Maybe the worst period I have ever seen a team play especially when facing elimination. Just awful.

• Like 1