Craig Ferguson to step down from Late Late Show

ronaldo9

Craig Ferguson has announced that he will step down from the Late Late Show. He says that he "wanted to leave the show before [he] stopped enjoying it." He started making plans to leave before Letterman announced his retirement and had originally planned his final show for the summer, but agreed with CBS to delay his departure until December.

Link: http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/craig-ferguson-i-wanted-to-leave-the-show-before-i-stopped-enjoying-it-exclusive-1201166239/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMeltYXaQw0

Him, Conan, and Fallon (in no particular order) have been my favorite three traditional late show hosts. Going to miss Ferguson's show, but I'm sure he'll find success in whatever he plans to do next. He certainly had a lot of fun with his show--from the puppet song openings to Secretariat to Geoff Peterson. I always liked when Steven Wright and Kristen Bell were guests--he always had great chemistry with them. Have to think the replacement rumor mill will start up fairly soon.

If he had a 10 million dollar guarantee if someone else was chosen to replace Dave, that's pretty awesome. But what was good to read is that he's not trapped at CBS and already working on producing other shows.

A lot of people wonder why he would host a game show - he can do a week's worth of shows in one day and doesn't have to do much except move the show along and make some wisecracks. Producing means he has to work his ass off at getting the show off the ground, but now that he has some money in his pocket and a production company of his own, I could see him doing well for himself.

It sounds like Letterman was putting the brakes on his production company except for licensing and syndicating Late Night with David Letterman and Everybody Loves Raymond.

he's doing this because CBS passed over him for the Letterman chair - also, he got $8 - $10 million because they passed him over (I think it was a contractual thing that he'd get first dibs on the Late Show and they had to pay him off if they didn't give it to him) so he's got a nice retirement package.

Honestly? Always found the guy pretty fucking annoying on his talk show. Insufferable monologues, just always 'on' and way too loud. His whole shtick of flirting with female guests got old real fast as well.