The Dave Navarro on Oh My God thread

Since my Paul Tobias thread got locked only to see someone else start the same thread!!! ig I'll have to choose a different guitarist who has worked in gnr :(

So I think Navaro is pretty cool and know that he's on OMG. But according to Axl that was a demo sooo does anyone think Navaro is on the final omg? Also would anyone who knows more about his time working with Axl like to share about anything else they know about that period ? Or is the only knowledge we have that he's on omg?

Like Broski said, I'm pretty sure he was brought on just to play on "Oh My God." However, I recall reading somewhere that Axl potentially wanted Navarro to replace Slash, or maybe it was Izzy, so maybe this was Axl attempting to recruit him into the band as another guitarist?

Yeah, Navarro was originally considered to be the rhythm guitarist after Izzy left, he failed to turn up to at least 2 auditions (Axl was very keen on having him, hence giving him a 2nd chance).

For OMG, he just turned up to the studio one afternoon, and I think Axl listened to his performance (he was just brought in for the solo) over the phone. Dave said the only direction he got was he once heard Axl say over the intercom "play with more feeling".

When ChiDem came out, he said something like it was 70% genius and 30% insanity, but then on repeated listens some of that insanity becomes genius, too.

EDIT: Here's his review of ChiDem: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dave-navarro-says-he-pretty-much-loves-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy/

Yeah, Navarro was originally considered to be the rhythm guitarist after Izzy left, he failed to turn up to at least 2 auditions (Axl was very keen on having him, hence giving him a 2nd chance).

For OMG, he just turned up to the studio one afternoon, and I think Axl listened to his performance (he was just brought in for the solo) over the phone. Dave said the only direction he got was he once heard Axl say over the intercom "play with more feeling".

When ChiDem came out, he said something like it was 70% genius and 30% insanity, but then on repeated listens some of that insanity becomes genius, too.

EDIT: Here's his review of ChiDem: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dave-navarro-says-he-pretty-much-loves-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy/

Where'd you hear about that two auditions thing? I've never heard that before. I wonder what why Dave didn't show up to the audition.

The whole "play with more feeling" bit leads me to believe that Dave's parts would be edited out of a "full" version of Oh My God, that or played by someone else.

Cool stuff!

Did anyone notice at the golden gods Navarro was interviewed and asked about the chile peppers and he said somthing like "no no just James addiction" it struck me as odd watever he said, seemed he wanted his name distanced from them

Cool stuff!

Did anyone notice at the golden gods Navarro was interviewed and asked about the chile peppers and he said somthing like "no no just James addiction" it struck me as odd watever he said, seemed he wanted his name distanced from them

I've got some insight on this, if you don't mind. I think his main reason for that was because of his shunning at the RHCP hall of fame induction. See, only seven members of the Chili Peppers were inducted into the hall, those being the current lineup of Anthony Kiedis, Flea, Josh Klinghoffer, Chad Smith, the founding drummer and guitarist, Jack Irons and Hillel Slovak, and the drummer who played on their first two albums, Cliff Martinez. However, Jack Sherman and Dave Navarro were shunned because they only performed on one album each. I think this was especially jarring to them since Josh was being inducted, despite playing on just "I'm With You" and some singles released, but he got in for being a current member. Which would make sense, if not for the fact that GN'R were inducted the very same year, and Tommy Stinson and Chris Pitman weren't inducted, despite being current members and playing on the most recent release. Plus, RHCP don't even play any of the songs off of "One Hot Minute" anymore, and Dave was one of only two long standing members to be fired from the band instead of just leaving, the other being Cliff Martinez, though he was considering leaving anyways.

So, as you can see, Dave has a lot of reasons to want to remove himself from RHCP history, especially since it seems like everyone else already has. I never understood that, either, cause I actually liked "One Hot Minute," but I guess they have personal reasons for trying to forget him.

From what I understand he was only brought in to play specifically on that song. And I'm guessing he's been replaced by Bumblefoot on the newer studio versions they've recorded.

It really sounds like Bumble is all over the newer version. Though, apparently, there is a Buckethead version floating around out there.

Where'd you hear about that two auditions thing? I've never heard that before. I wonder what why Dave didn't show up to the audition.

The whole "play with more feeling" bit leads me to believe that Dave's parts would be edited out of a "full" version of Oh My God, that or played by someone else.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dave-navarro-why-i-didn-t-join-guns-n-roses/

I don't know who plays on the version I've got, I throw it on media player between Street of Dreams and If The World. I don't like CD's order so I changed it up, I really did. I just didn't like the order and OMG seems a nice fit even tho the quality sucks.

The song is nothing special. I find it hard to believe Axl would let a major motion picture use a demo version, so I'll throw that line of thinking out right away.

It's easy to see why Duff and former "employee" Matt (the seeds of nuGNR started in 1990?) didn't see its potential and walked away. It's a decent novelty track I suppose, and I do like certain sections of it, but a whole album like that would have instantly killed nuGNR's credibility (I use that word very loosely here.)

Navarro isn't really my cup of tea aesthetically, but I've always enjoyed Jane's Addiction and in particular RHCP's One Hot Minute.

The last solo in OMG lets it down though in my opinion.

Edited by DR DOOM