Ever cry and think to yourself later "you're an idiot"?

TeeJay410

I used to cry a lot when I was younger but I've had some pretty eye opening experiences in the last few years that have just made me toughen up and I only cry now at things that really move me right to my core. The last time I cried uncontrollably was when my dog died just over a year ago. I cried many times over the course of two weeks and it was a real grief that I don't want to experience again soon. I don't even like to dwell on memories of him too much because it just fills me with sadness that he lived such a short life.

I've had two really unexpected bouts of tears in recent memory. The first was when I was living in Amsterdam. My apartment was directly across from the Anne Frank house on the Prinsengracht and I read her diary again before I went to visit the museum. There is a description of what happened when the family was discovered and were loaded into a truck never to feel freedom and never to be a family together ever again. The description literally explained that they were lead out of the house they were hiding in, into a truck which then crossed over the nearby bridge and passed right outside the building I was sitting in at that moment. I literally looked out my lounge room window to where this happened. I just broke down and cried. After reading such a heartbreaking account of a young girl experiencing what all of us have a right to experience (first love, hopes for the future, love for family and contrastingly, frustration and sometimes anger towards family, creative stimulation, a desire to love and be loved) and to then know that it would all be taken away and to see before my very eyes exactly where that happened, was one of the most emotionally disturbing experiences I've ever had. I have never been so humbled by any person that ever lived as I have been by Anne Frank.

So no, I didn't feel like an idiot after weeping tears unexpectedly.

The second time I cried unexpectedly was when I reached the end of 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. I was reading it on my kindle in the car while I waited for someone and I just lost it. I could see people walking past the car looking at me wondering what was going on, I didn't care. It was just so sad and so emotional that it was an appropriate response to such an amazing book. Books are supposed to affect us and this one did for me. Big time.

if i don't cry watching a movie/reading a book, in my mind it's a lame movie/book. and it's not necessarily the drama that makes me cry, i can cry with laughter too

last time i remember bursting into tears in a museum 2 weeks ago

in rl im easily moved to tears as well. and sometimes it's pretty awkward :shrugs:

Edited by netcat

I was about to write about the last time I cried, but then I remembered the "you're an idiot" part of the thread title and no, I can't say I remember ever crying about silly things in a long while now. When I cry there is always some pretty strong reasons for it, it might not be obvious from the context but there is always something there at the back of my mind causing the tears to come at that moment.

I often cry watching Disney (animated) movies.

Last time, watching Frozen.

And I cried almost unstoppable during the Lion King (Mufasa's death), it was so unfair!!!!!!

Why is there always somebody good dying in those movies!

I often cry watching Disney (animated) movies.

Last time, watching Frozen.

And I cried almost unstoppable during the Lion King (Mufasa's death), it was so unfair!!!!!!

Why is there always somebody good dying in those movies!

Every time I watch that part in the Lion King I tear up. No shame. That shit is powerful.

• Like 1