Tony Abbott - Australian Prime Minister (hilarious John Oliver segment)

highvoltage

I watched this the other day and shook my head in horror......is this real???

How did this imbecile get elected??

Nobody liked him. He was quite literally handed an election that he couldn't lose by the previous government. They completely tore themselves to pieces with unpopular policies and infighting... The general public basically felt that anything was better than the alternative.

Media bias also played a huge role. He had the support of Murdoch's media outlets... these are the sort of headlines we had running into the last election (note all the negative headlines about Kevin/Julia, and the classic "Australia needs Tony"):

australian_election_2013_murdoch_and_new

He's been a huge embarrassment on the world stage, has broken a swathe of promises that were taken to the last election and is almost universally disliked among Australians. :no:

Bahaha that's too funny. Paul Keating saying God help Australia if Tony Abbott gets in as Prime Minister??? Thats the pot calling the kettle black - he was the treasurer who told us "this is the recession we had to have" and "Australia is the arse end of the world".

He also took climate change off the upcoming G20 agenda. :lol:

Bahaha that's too funny. Paul Keating saying God help Australia if Tony Abbott gets in as Prime Minister??? Thats the pot calling the kettle black - he was the treasurer who told us "this is the recession we had to have" and "Australia is the arse end of the world".

Keating was a wanker too, but you have to admit, he was the absolute king of one-liners in Aus politics. :lol:

EDIT: Some vintage Keating in his element - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-12/the-collected-insults-of-paul-keating/5071412

Missed one of my favourites:

Close, but nice try Australia. Ring us up when your head magistrate starts smoking crack and knocks little old ladies over.

Ford is in a class of his own... but he's the Mayor of a city. This guy is running our whole country! :lol:

Close, but nice try Australia. Ring us up when your head magistrate starts smoking crack and knocks little old ladies over.

Ford is in a class of his own... but he's the Mayor of a city. This guy is running our whole country! :lol:

Very true, though Ford has mentioned he'd like to someday run for Canada's Prime Minister.

Australian politicians always struck me as a bit different than most other politicians. When I was 10 years old my family spent six months in Australia, traveling over 24k miles touring the large country. I thought it was great at the time that Australia's then PM was also the record holder for beer drinking speed. Maybe Australia has another Bob Hawke who could take over again.

Yeah but Bob was awesome because he was a pisshead and he put in plenty of reforms, many of which were really centre right policies but helped modernise the country and the Labor Party.

Abbott on the other hand is a socially conservative, backward troglodyte that thinks a country is a business that has to make a profit by any means necessary. Personally a lot of the bullshit doesn't affect me, so whilst I care about Australia I hope all the dumb fucks that voted for his government suffer. Too many morons in this intellectually vacuous country that have no understanding of politics and as a result there's thoroughly Blue collar areas voting for right wing parties like the Liberals/Coalition simply because they don't like the other mob.

Edited by Johnny Drama
  • Like 1

Personally a lot of the bullshit doesn't affect me, so whilst I care about Australia I hope all the dumb fucks that voted for his government suffer.

Don't you get it? A lot of those who voted for him aren't suffering! It's the traditional labor voter who is going to suffer most by this latest budget.

I recently read a fascinating article in the paper from a traditional liberal voter who was educated back when education was free, got a job when jobs were plentiful, bought a house when property was cheap. Basically she said "I'm sitting pretty, I'm the prime candidate for budget punishment". But she wasn't punished at all. Wasn't in the least bit affected. Which she thought was a bit unfair, a bit harsh.

That's the point. :)

Too many morons in this intellectually vacuous country that have no understanding of politics and as a result there's thoroughly Blue collar areas voting for right wing parties like the Liberals/Coalition simply because they don't like the other mob.

That could be said for a lot of countries. You see that particularly in places like the U.S. and Mexico, where poorer but ignorant individuals vote for the party that will do them the least good and the most harm. One could argue that they're being patriotic; putting country before self. But I'm more inclined to believe that they're duped and manipulated by party platforms that they believe will help them but often times hurt them.

We're going through an election in the province I live in (Ontario) where the conservative candidate keeps throwing around terms like "job creators" and argues that lower taxes will produce a million new jobs over eight years. So he gets unemployed or under-employed people believing that by giving corporations more money (many of which already horde a tremendous amount of cash) more jobs will be created. It's utter nonsense and has long been disproven. But a certain segment of people will still eat it up. This despite the fact that anyone who reads a newspaper can learn that the platform functions on severely broken math (for instance, when the candidate says he'll create a million new jobs, he's counting many jobs eight times, because he believes a job created in year one that still exists eight years later equals eight jobs. I'm not making this up, check it out here)

And then there's the one out of five Torontonians who would still vote to re-elect Rob Ford as mayor. No matter what country, the problem with democracy sometimes is that the ignorant have just as much power as the well-informed come election time.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 1

Read the next sentence of my post.......FFS Dandenong is in aLiberal seat now. WTF?!

I know it's hard to face but even die hard Labour seats are declining the current face of Labour. With good reason. They fucked themselves. :shrugs:

What do you expect? Some people voted for an ACTUALLY functioning economy.

It wasn't functioning under Labor?

Too many morons in this intellectually vacuous country that have no understanding of politics and as a result there's thoroughly Blue collar areas voting for right wing parties like the Liberals/Coalition simply because they don't like the other mob.

That could be said for a lot of countries. You see that particularly in places like the U.S. and Mexico, where poorer but ignorant individuals vote for the party that will do them the least good and the most harm. One could argue that they're being patriotic; putting country before self. But I'm more inclined to believe that they're duped and manipulated by party platforms that they believe will help them but often times hurt them.

We're going through an election in the province I live in (Ontario) where the conservative candidate keeps throwing around terms like "job creators" and argues that lower taxes will produce a million new jobs over eight years. So he gets unemployed or under-employed people believing that by giving corporations more money (many of which already horde a tremendous amount of cash) more jobs will be created. It's utter nonsense and has long been disproven. But a certain segment of people will still eat it up. This despite the fact that anyone who reads a newspaper can learn that the platform functions on severely broken math (for instance, when the candidate says he'll create a million new jobs, he's counting many jobs eight times, because he believes a job created in year one that still exists eight years later equals eight jobs. I'm not making this up, check it out here)

And then there's the one out of five Torontonians who would still vote to re-elect Rob Ford as mayor. No matter what country, the problem with democracy sometimes is that the ignorant have just as much power as the well-informed come election time.

A man of sense. *claps*