English (The Language)

Snake-Pit

Now I'm just curious. Where are you from, and how many languages do you speak? I have a feeling that you speak at least 4-5 languages.

I'm from Belgium. I've studied French, English, Italian, Danish, Swedish, Afrikaans and Czech. Afrikaans and Czech were short courses and the rest is a long time ago, so I'm quite rusty on Danish and Swedish. I hope to brush up on my language skills some day, though, when I have more time. I've always been fascinated by languages, but working fulltime, having a family and a social life means less time to learn languages :shrugs:

• Like 2

Now I'm just curious. Where are you from, and how many languages do you speak? I have a feeling that you speak at least 4-5 languages.

I'm from Belgium. I've studied French, English, Italian, Danish, Swedish, Afrikaans and Czech. Afrikaans and Czech were short courses and the rest is a long time ago, so I'm quite rusty on Danish and Swedish. I hope to brush up on my language skills some day, though, when I have more time. I've always been fascinated by languages, but working fulltime, having a family and a social life means less time to learn languages :shrugs:

Show off.

American English where they use a faucet instead of a tap

Yeah I always belly up to the bar and order Budweiser on faucet. ;)

BTW - English is one of the hardest to learn, what other language has words that are spelled the same but have two entirely different meanings depending on context.

French for one is harder the than English. Every noun has a masculine of feminine and there is not set rule to understanding why a word is one or the other. You just have to learn it from exposure.

Show off.

What do you mean ? The languages or the busy life bit ? Now excuse me, I have to meet a deadline, go get the kid from school and go watch the Red Devils tonight in the local bar.

Show off.

What do you mean ? The languages or the busy life bit ? Now excuse me, I have to meet a deadline, go get the kid from school and go watch the Red Devils tonight in the local bar.

All of it. You just seem well rounded and well educated so I wanted to knock you down a peg. :lol:

So, if anyone read my links you'd see that Indo-Aryan languages are rated like this (based on how complex and irregular they are):

Classic Greek: 5.5

Czech: 5.5

Slovak: 5.5

Polish: 5.0

Sanskrit: 5.0

Icelandic: 5.0

Faroese: 5.0

Lithuanian: 5.0

Old Irish: 5.0

Greek: 5.0

Albanian: 5.0

Latvian: 4.5

Nepali: 4.5

Punjabi: 4.5

Irish: 4.5

Scottish Gaelic: 4.5

Serbo-Croatian: 4.5

Manx: 4.5

Slovenian: 4.0

Russian: 4.0

Armenian: 4.0

Welsh: 4.0

Breton: 4.0

Sinhala: 4.0

Kurdish: 4.0

Ossetian: 4.0

Hindi: 4.0

Bulgarian: 3.5

Macedonian: 3.5

German: 3.5

Bengali: 3.5

Dutch: 3.0

Italian: 3.0

Danish: 3.0

Persian: 3.0

Portuguese: 3.0

Romanian: 3.0

French: 3.0

Swedish: 2.5

English: 2.5

Spanish: 2.5

Neapolitan: 2.5

Afrikaans: 2.0

Norwegian: 2.0

But all of these none-Indo-Aryan languages might be much harder: Navajo, Tsez, Kung (language family), Pirahã, Basque, Comanche, Archi, Etruscan, Northwest/Northeast Caucasian (language family) and Aboriginal Australian (language family).

So no, English simply isn't among the hardest languages to learn.

Czech was the hardest language I ever tried to learn. Glad that that has been proved :lol:

Surprised to see that Norwegian and Afrikaans are equally 'simple', because Afrikaans is basically simplified Dutch.

Norwegian and Danish are pretty close to Dutch as well. I know a few Danish people who learned to speak Dutch in no-time.

Kudos to your friends :) I hardly ever meet (foreign) people that speak Dutch :(

My Dutch is pretty crap but I generally find grasping something of a language easier when reading it rather than listening to it and so I often find I can decipher a lot of German and Danish from my mediocre understanding of Dutch.

For some reason words and language for me are learnt much easier by reading than listening. I remember being in Holland when I was 8 and I'd read all the packaging of the stuff in the trolley when we went shopping, read all the newspapers, magazines lying around, read all the street signs and make associations from that. When I say 'read' I mean analyse the spelling and commit it to memory. I've done the same with French and Italian and have figured out enough to get by when I'm in those countries.

• Like 1

Show off.

All of it. You just seem well rounded and well educated so I wanted to knock you down a peg. :lol:

So sweet of you... Thanks :wub: (Except the knocking down a peg :max: )

My Dutch is pretty crap but I generally find grasping something of a language easier when reading it rather than listening to it and so I often find I can decipher a lot of German and Danish from my mediocre understanding of Dutch.

For some reason words and language for me are learnt much easier by reading than listening. I remember being in Holland when I was 8 and I'd read all the packaging of the stuff in the trolley when we went shopping, read all the newspapers, magazines lying around, read all the street signs and make associations from that. When I say 'read' I mean analyse the spelling and commit it to memory. I've done the same with French and Italian and have figured out enough to get by when I'm in those countries.

When it comes to Dutch this goes for me as well. Written Dutch and written Norwegian is more similar than spoken Dutch and spoken Norwegian (because Dutch sounds like a cat being choked which masks the underlying similarities).

Norwegian is pretty easy, especially if you are German or Dutch, and more so if you are Swedish and Danish (because of close linguistic relationships). But in general we have a simple, forgiving grammar so no reasons to not start learning Norwegians!

And if you plan to visit Norway, here's some practical information from Black Debbath:

And some more specific to our traditional foods:

When it comes to Dutch this goes for me as well. Written Dutch and written Norwegian is more similar than spoken Dutch and spoken Norwegian (because Dutch sounds like a cat being choked which masks the underlying similarities).

Norwegian is pretty easy, especially if you are German or Dutch, and more so if you are Swedish and Danish (because of close linguistic relationships). But in general we have a simple, forgiving grammar so no reasons to not start learning Norwegians!

And if you plan to visit Norway, here's some practical information from Black Debbath:

As a child, I once went to Denmark, and written Danish is indeed often easy to understand. I was so confident I went into a bakery to buy bread and was incredibly disappointed they didn't understand what I was saying, pronouncing it phonetically :lol: I would love to learn Norwegian one day, but I think it was a mistake to take on Swedish after I'd already studied Danish. I always mix them now and always have to think twice to determine which is Danish and which Swedish. It would only get worse if I ever tried Norwegian.

So, if anyone read my links you'd see that Indo-Aryan languages are rated like this (based on how complex and irregular they are):

But all of these none-Indo-Aryan languages might be much harder: Navajo, Tsez, Kung (language family), Pirahã, Basque, Comanche, Archi, Etruscan, Northwest/Northeast Caucasian (language family) and Aboriginal Australian (language family).

Czech was the hardest language I ever tried to learn. Glad that that has been proved :lol:

Surprised to see that Norwegian and Afrikaans are equally 'simple', because Afrikaans is basically simplified Dutch.

Norwegian and Danish are pretty close to Dutch as well. I know a few Danish people who learned to speak Dutch in no-time.
Kudos to your friends :) I hardly ever meet (foreign) people that speak Dutch :(

Haha that's pretty impressive tho.

As a child, I once went to Denmark, and written Danish is indeed often easy to understand. I was so confident I went into a bakery to buy bread and was incredibly disappointed they didn't understand what I was saying, pronouncing it phonetically :lol: I would love to learn Norwegian one day, but I think it was a mistake to take on Swedish after I'd already studied Danish. I always mix them now and always have to think twice to determine which is Danish and which Swedish. It would only get worse if I ever tried Norwegian.

Haha, yes, that sounds like Danish. It is easier if you stick a potato in your throat. If you only learn one of Danish, Swedish or Norwegian well, you should be able to understand the others and get around.

For 29 years the only reason I've ever had to visit Norway is:

Morten Harket :wub:

Magne Furuholmen :wub:

Pal Waaktaar :wub:

And I didn't even have to look up the spelling :lol:

Saw them live in Amsterdam on November 18 2003 which was a dream come true. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Sorry to be a cunt, but you mean Indo-European, right? :D

Quite interesting that two of the main forbears of the Indo-European languages, bar PIE itself, in Classical Greek and Sanskrit are two of the hardest. Maybe a sign that the older a language, the more time to evolve and become more complex?

Does anyone here from a non-English speaking background, that is fluent regardless find the language to be lacking in the way of expression etc?

Sorry to be a cunt, but you mean Indo-European, right? :D

Quite interesting that two of the main forbears of the Indo-European languages, bar PIE itself, in Classical Greek and Sanskrit are two of the hardest. Maybe a sign that the older a language, the more time to evolve and become more complex?

Does anyone here from a non-English speaking background, that is fluent regardless find the language to be lacking in the way of expression etc?

Sorry, yes, I meant Indo-European.

So if the observation that extinct languages are generally more complex than extant languages holds true, then that may be the explanation why they died out or evolved into languages that are less complex and hence less of a strain to learn?

American English where they use a faucet instead of a tap

Yeah I always belly up to the bar and order Budweiser on faucet. ;)

BTW - English is one of the hardest to learn, what other language has words that are spelled the same but have two entirely different meanings depending on context.

Dutch, for instance. There are countless words with different meanings, some examples:

stam: tribe or trunk (of a tree)

haar: her or hair

heet: hot or is called

erg: awful or very

And Portuguese and Spanish have homonyms too. Actually I think it's not uncommon in many languages.

I agree with who said that English makes no sense sometimes, especially when reading. The same letter can be read of multiple ways depending on the word. In most latin languages you might not know a word and you would still be sure how to read it. The rules have very few exceptions.

Still, English is in general an easy language. Or at least I found it easy.

Edited by Thin White Duke

I've done the same with French and Italian and have figured out enough to get by when I'm in those countries.

Then it's curious that you said French is harder because they have feminine and masculine words. You should know that not only French uses masculine and feminine when referring to objects. Italian uses it too. And Portuguese and Spanish. And probably more language, at least the Latin ones that are the ones I slightly know.

I've done the same with French and Italian and have figured out enough to get by when I'm in those countries.

Then it's curious that you said French is harder because they have feminine and masculine words. You should know that not only French uses masculine and feminine when referring to objects. Italian uses it too. And Portuguese and Spanish. And probably more language, at least the Latin ones that are the ones I slightly know.

Dutch has masculine, feminine and neuter words. Come to think of it, most German languages have them, I think.

Dutch has masculine, feminine and neuter words. Come to think of it, most German languages have them, I think.

Didn't know that. If I recall Russian had grammatical gender too but I am not sure. I should have paid more attention in class. :lol: That's one of the things why I think English is relatively easy. it doesn't have the gender thing and with 2 articles they are done.

I like that there is an English speaking world, and it's not just England. The world doesn't speak English, but there is an 'English speaking world'.

There is the Welsh speaking world, but according to Wiki, most Welsh speaking people in Wales also speak English and most Welsh speaking people in Chubut, Argentina also speak Spanish. - The Welsh Speaking World.

Edited by Snake-Pit