NBA offseason Thread

Wow I guess it's official, he's going back to Cleveland. Still don't like him though. Jump ship to win championships and now go back to your origin. Can't see how fans can accept this really, I remember the season directly after he left the Cavs and joined the Heat. They had to play the Cavs in Cleveland.... so much security and the stadium ringed of boos every time his face was shown or touched the ball. People thought he might get killed.

He's a selfish MFer and at this point just wants to play for stats and the money. Fuck him.

Oh c'mon. Selfish? Money? He's taking about 10 million less over the assumed contract to play in Cleveland with a young team. Basketball wise it's not even a great fit, they have no perimeter shooters to space anything for him to work the post or midrange. There was a better chance for a quick rebuild in Miami than Cleveland. Swallowing his decision, forgiving Dan Gilbert, moving back to his hometown where he wants to raise his family is a pretty damn selfless thing. He could have made millions more and lived in fucking Miami. He might never win another championship with this team. It's still a bad organization in a place where free agents don't exactly flock. I don't see how this can be selfish money wise or stats wise.

• Like 1

This does more for Lebron than anything.

Eventually I'm sure he would love to buy the Cavs down the road.

This mends this bridge.

Please don't try and fit him in a "nice guy" role now. This guy is one of the most selfish players to grace the court.

"I'm taking my talents down to South Beach to win championships, then i'm going back home for a max contract" Cmon buddy.

This mends this bridge.

Please don't try and fit him in a "nice guy" role now. This guy is one of the most selfish players to grace the court.

"I'm taking my talents down to South Beach to win championships, then i'm going back home for a max contract" Cmon buddy.

Max contract in Miami would have been a lot more. He'd have a better chance to win more rings in Miami. It may help his legacy, but he might get one ring with the Cavs. He knows that. LeBron has never deserved the crap he got from fans, he never killed or raped anyone. He got a better job offer and took it. Now being 4 years later, his priorities are different, and being at home is better for him and his family. I can't fault him for either decision. In his shoes I would have done the same. Though maybe announce the first move differently.

• Like 1

Holy. Fucking. Cunt-fucking. Shit.

Our boy is coming home.

This is real? Is this real??? This doesn't feel real. This is just cruel joke.....right?

Imagine the one that got away....the one that made you feel alive.....and she's gone without a trace, on to bigger and better things.

And then outta the blue she's back and you get to fuck her, 4 years later.

Is this really happening??????

• Like 1

This mends this bridge.

I agree, but I feel he's as selfish as any other great player. If Cleveland had given him a team I really doubt he would've left(7 long years). I must add I'm not even a fan of Lebron but I can't deny his greatness and his reasons why he left Cleveland.

Already seeing trade speculation about Wiggins and Bennett with their exclusion in the young players section of the essay. Some people speculating for Love.

I'm thinking Cle in play in a Sign and Trade

Phil Jackson gets Wiggins

Keep saying this and feeling it

80% Knicks

20% Melo to Cavs on S&T that includes Wiggins/Thompson/Waiters

But the way Lebron mentioned them, I think he wants to play with them and help mentor the young guys. Who knows.

Wow I guess it's official, he's going back to Cleveland. Still don't like him though. Jump ship to win championships and now go back to your origin. Can't see how fans can accept this really, I remember the season directly after he left the Cavs and joined the Heat. They had to play the Cavs in Cleveland.... so much security and the stadium ringed of boos every time his face was shown or touched the ball. People thought he might get killed.

He's a selfish MFer and at this point just wants to play for stats and the money. Fuck him.

It's because that's what all pro players do. They want to win rings and make as much money as possible.

Peyton Manning left Indy for Denver for a HUGE contract and so he could win a championship.........do you have the same level of hate for him?

The Spurs have free agents on their team. I'm sure the Atlanta Falcons have some key players that they picked up via free agency.

He didn't necessarily "jump ship" though. He played out two contracts with the team that drafted him. Spent seven years of his career there. Then when he was a free agent, he did what hundreds of players in all sports do - he chose to play for another team.

Fans can accept it because it's what happens all the time, in all sports. Do you hate the free agents that Atlanta signs?

Like somebody on here posted earlier, no matter what Lebron does he will always get bashed for it. This move should be celebrated by sports fans. He turned down the "big three" and the big city lights and fame of Miami or Los Angeles and went to CLEVELAND who hasn't had a winning record in four years, including being SOOOO bad they have had the first pick in the draft three times in the last four years. He didn't go join another dream team, he didn't take the bigger money that he could have gotten in LA or NY.........dude went back to his HOME town, to a crappy team. Not sure how anybody could complain about that.

I still think you are a cool guy though Forsaken!

This mends this bridge.

Max contract in Miami would have been a lot more. He'd have a better chance to win more rings in Miami. It may help his legacy, but he might get one ring with the Cavs. He knows that. LeBron has never deserved the crap he got from fans, he never killed or raped anyone. He got a better job offer and took it. Now being 4 years later, his priorities are different, and being at home is better for him and his family. I can't fault him for either decision. In his shoes I would have done the same. Though maybe announce the first move differently.

Very well said.

Thousands of players have switched teams via free agency. But for some reason, Lebron is the only one who gets bashed for it.

It's because that's what all pro players do. They want to win rings and make as much money as possible.

Peyton Manning left Indy for Denver for a HUGE contract and so he could win a championship.........do you have the same level of hate for him?

The Spurs have free agents on their team. I'm sure the Atlanta Falcons have some key players that they picked up via free agency.

He didn't necessarily "jump ship" though. He played out two contracts with the team that drafted him. Spent seven years of his career there. Then when he was a free agent, he did what hundreds of players in all sports do - he chose to play for another team.

Fans can accept it because it's what happens all the time, in all sports. Do you hate the free agents that Atlanta signs?

Like somebody on here posted earlier, no matter what Lebron does he will always get bashed for it. This move should be celebrated by sports fans. He turned down the "big three" and the big city lights and fame of Miami or Los Angeles and went to CLEVELAND who hasn't had a winning record in four years, including being SOOOO bad they have had the first pick in the draft three times in the last four years. He didn't go join another dream team, he didn't take the bigger money that he could have gotten in LA or NY.........dude went back to his HOME town, to a crappy team. Not sure how anybody could complain about that.

I still think you are a cool guy though Forsaken!

This is a completely different scenario than Peyton or any of which you've mentioned man, Lebron is arguably the best athlete in sports and he jumped ship from his HOME TOWN on national TV to join two other all-stars in Miami to win championships. Now in my eyes he looks like an even bigger sellout than ever coming back to Cleveland. Does it make sense from a family standpoint to mend things out in his home town? Sure it does and any man with a family would do it as TeeJay mentioned, but all of this should have factored in when he made "The Decision". You jump ship, stay put.Stick to your guns. Lebron gets what he wants. Always. You don't think he didn't know MIA was falling apart?

And this is why in my eyes Lebron will NEVER EVER be in the same discussion or category as the likes of someone like MJ.

I'm very happy lebron made this decision!! Great for the state of Ohio and great for lebrons legacy. Loved him saying his relationship back home is very important to him. He's finnaly realized that he could win however many rings in Miami and he's just another sports star and if he wins even just 1 for Cleveland he's a hometown hero for life

Your talent level shouldn't dictate whether or not you can change teams.

Peyton is the greatest regular season quarterback of all time (tho he sucks in the playoffs) and he jumped ship.

MJ actually came back as a free agent and played with another team. And it's not like he made some huge sacrifice while he was in Chicago, dude played with two other Hall of Fame players. If Lebron had two Hall of Fame players on his team then he'd have 5-6 NBA championships right now!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I know Jordan is the second greatest player of all time. But he wasn't a one man show. But the Bulls were loaded, Cleveland was not. Why would Jordan leave the Bulls? Where else could he find a team that had two Hall of Famers and possibly the best NBA coach of all time?

I see a guy like Carlos Boozer get a free pass when he is 1000 times more selfish and a prick than Lebron ever was. Boozer was under a team friendly contract, and made a verbal/hand shake agreement that he would resign for a higher number if the team released him from his contract. They could have kept him under contract for a very minimum salary. So they release him........but instead of honoring his WORD, Boozer then says 'Ya, I've changed my mind and am going to sign somewhere else."

That "decision" screwed his team and screwed his fellow NBA players to this day.

What he did is 1000 times worse than anything Lebron has ever done.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree.

I don't think a player's talent level should have anything to do with how we judge their free agency decisions.

If free agents can go to the Falcons for the money and chance to win a championship, then Lebron should be free to do the same thing.

"Before anyone ever cared where I would play basketball, I was a kid from Northeast Ohio. Its where I walked. Its where I ran. Its where I cried. Its where I bled. It holds a special place in my heart. People there have seen me grow up. I sometimes feel like Im their son. Their passion can be overwhelming. But it drives me. I want to give them hope when I can. I want to inspire them when I can. My relationship with Northeast Ohio is bigger than basketball. I didnt realize that four years ago. I do now.

Remember when I was sitting up there at the Boys & Girls Club in 2010? I was thinking, This is really tough. I could feel it. I was leaving something I had spent a long time creating. If I had to do it all over again, Id obviously do things differently, but Id still have left. Miami, for me, has been almost like college for other kids. These past four years helped raise me into who I am. I became a better player and a better man. I learned from a franchise that had been where I wanted to go. I will always think of Miami as my second home. Without the experiences I had there, I wouldnt be able to do what Im doing today.

I went to Miami because of D-Wade and CB. We made sacrifices to keep UD. I loved becoming a big bro to Rio. I believed we could do something magical if we came together. And thats exactly what we did! The hardest thing to leave is what I built with those guys. Ive talked to some of them and will talk to others. Nothing will ever change what we accomplished. We are brothers for life. I also want to thank Micky Arison and Pat Riley for giving me an amazing four years.

Im doing this essay because I want an opportunity to explain myself uninterrupted. I dont want anyone thinking: He and Erik Spoelstra didnt get along. He and Riles didnt get along. The Heat couldnt put the right team together. Thats absolutely not true.

Im not having a press conference or a party. After this, its time to get to work.

When I left Cleveland, I was on a mission. I was seeking championships, and we won two. But Miami already knew that feeling. Our city hasnt had that feeling in a long, long, long time. My goal is still to win as many titles as possible, no question. But whats most important for me is bringing one trophy back to Northeast Ohio.

I always believed that Id return to Cleveland and finish my career there. I just didnt know when. After the season, free agency wasnt even a thought. But I have two boys and my wife, Savannah, is pregnant with a girl. I started thinking about what it would be like to raise my family in my hometown. I looked at other teams, but I wasnt going to leave Miami for anywhere except Cleveland. The more time passed, the more it felt right. This is what makes me happy.

To make the move I needed the support of my wife and my mom, who can be very tough. The letter from Dan Gilbert, the booing of the Cleveland fans, the jerseys being burned -- seeing all that was hard for them. My emotions were more mixed. It was easy to say, OK, I dont want to deal with these people ever again. But then you think about the other side. What if I were a kid who looked up to an athlete, and that athlete made me want to do better in my own life, and then he left? How would I react? Ive met with Dan, face-to-face, man-to-man. Weve talked it out. Everybody makes mistakes. Ive made mistakes as well. Who am I to hold a grudge?

Im not promising a championship. I know how hard that is to deliver. Were not ready right now. No way. Of course, I want to win next year, but Im realistic. It will be a long process, much longer than it was in 2010. My patience will get tested. I know that. Im going into a situation with a young team and a new coach. I will be the old head. But I get a thrill out of bringing a group together and helping them reach a place they didnt know they could go. I see myself as a mentor now and Im excited to lead some of these talented young guys. I think I can help Kyrie Irving become one of the best point guards in our league. I think I can help elevate Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters. And I cant wait to reunite with Anderson Varejao, one of my favorite teammates.

But this is not about the roster or the organization. I feel my calling here goes above basketball. I have a responsibility to lead, in more ways than one, and I take that very seriously. My presence can make a difference in Miami, but I think it can mean more where Im from. I want kids in Northeast Ohio, like the hundreds of Akron third-graders I sponsor through my foundation, to realize that theres no better place to grow up. Maybe some of them will come home after college and start a family or open a business. That would make me smile. Our community, which has struggled so much, needs all the talent it can get.

In Northeast Ohio, nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have.

Im ready to accept the challenge. Im coming home."

Goddamnit....I know it's only basketball and it doesn't mean shit....but I was born in Cleveland. I graduated from high school 20 minutes away from where LeBron played ball.....and I'm fucking crying right now. And it feels fucking good.

See! This guys a great example of Cleveland fans! They get fuked over so much and they love there sports! Lebron is Cleveland he should have never left! Great day for Cleveland I'm not even a fan and if just feels right.

Your talent level shouldn't dictate whether or not you can change teams.

Peyton is the greatest regular season quarterback of all time (tho he sucks in the playoffs) and he jumped ship.

MJ actually came back as a free agent and played with another team. And it's not like he made some huge sacrifice while he was in Chicago, dude played with two other Hall of Fame players. If Lebron had two Hall of Fame players on his team then he'd have 5-6 NBA championships right now!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I know Jordan is the second greatest player of all time. But he wasn't a one man show. But the Bulls were loaded, Cleveland was not. Why would Jordan leave the Bulls? Where else could he find a team that had two Hall of Famers and possibly the best NBA coach of all time?

I see a guy like Carlos Boozer get a free pass when he is 1000 times more selfish and a prick than Lebron ever was. Boozer was under a team friendly contract, and made a verbal/hand shake agreement that he would resign for a higher number if the team released him from his contract. They could have kept him under contract for a very minimum salary. So they release him........but instead of honoring his WORD, Boozer then says 'Ya, I've changed my mind and am going to sign somewhere else."

That "decision" screwed his team and screwed his fellow NBA players to this day.

What he did is 1000 times worse than anything Lebron has ever done.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree.

I don't think a player's talent level should have anything to do with how we judge their free agency decisions.

If free agents can go to the Falcons for the money and chance to win a championship, then Lebron should be free to do the same thing.

Only thing I will disagree with is that Michaels bulls weren't always stacked. He was a great player who couldn't get past the bad boys for awhile. He stuck it out for years with his team and ended up owning the league!

• Like 1

tumblr_n8k5heSt0L1qccox3o1_500.jpg

:lol:

At least I get satisfaction seeing the Heat crumble, with all of those bandwagon fans.

Haha same here man same here. I rooted against lebron because I always saw Miami as the villain team. Didn't like that he left in the first place and I'm glad he's heading back home. Awesome comparison he made to going to college for 4 years, seemed very fitting. He's young he was 18 when he came into this league and he's grown up in the nba and the public eye