Requesting evidence of a good DJ Ashba song

What I listened from Sixx AM makes Slash sound like The Dillinger Escape Plan.

This song is good for what it is. Pop/rock for teenagers. Not my favorite style and I'd never listen to an entire album of songs like this, but it's the only song I've heard from him and like I said, it's not bad for what it is.

I don't consider myself a better guitar player than DJ but he's probably the worst "famous" guitarist I've seen/heard. He's not the right guy to help Axl to write NR or Estranged pt. 2.

cmon there are many worse guitarists in punk bands

yeah, let's keep lowering the standards. it's what nugnr fans do best isn't it?

I think DJ is mediocre as well. I just think that people over exaggerate how bad he is compared to other modern guitarists.

Dj is like Muse of Glam Metal. That's what I see him doing with Axl, a Muse meets Elton John track with pianos and spiraling grinding riffs.

Now see, I think a song with that kind of description could work very well and be enjoyable at the same time. The problem is whether they have the heart and the commitment to release something like this and, sadly, their lack of action in that front says otherwise in the having the heart and commitment area.

Despite the obvious trolling character of this thread, I tried to bring some positivity, but now ... I have to agree with this:

Where does this thread go?

A bunch of people that already hate DJ Ashba all gang up on the few who try to honestly answer the question posted in this cupcake topic, and then the lynch mob all backslap each other and form a big echo chamber?

I'm not exactly a DJ superfan but, I took my time to make a serious post so I could help the creator of this thread to find a "good DJ Ashba song"

I'm not the DJ's nr1 fan, but we need to give up from our preconceptions, so we can listen his music and have a fair opinion.

I've heard many people praising his work in BC ... I don't know BC's songs enough, so I can't say anything about it.

But, regarding his work in Sixx, well .... there's some really nice songs.

Some people are saying that Sixx music is pop/rock for teenager ... well, I don't know ... What I know is that they have some catchy songs ... The songs have identity and I can recognize a style when I hear them ...

Let me tell you this, so you can understand better what I'm trying to say. When I listen to Slash's music nowadays, if it wasn't for Slash's tone, I couldn't find a signature sound in it ... it's all generic rock ... insipid ... if you know what I mean.

Maybe that's what GN'R needs to be relevant again .... a couple of catchy songs, with some identity ... Axl will give them substance enough to be a little bit more than teenager pop/rock songs.

Btw ... I started to listen GN'R when I was a teenager, so, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Magisme, do yourself a favor and listen some Sixx songs. Let your preconceptions fall. From what I'm seeing in this thread, one day, DJ can even make the best GN'R song, but he will be criticized and bashed in the same way. That's what happened with ChD ... the preconception about the 13 years and the band's name, overlapped the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LWmjcp_vDo&list=RD4LWmjcp_vDo

And many others ...

Go find the acoustic versions <3

I also saw some other users trying to help and bring on topic some nice DJ songs ...

I don't belive that there's too many DJ superfans around here but, can't a free user give some benefit to DJ without beeing bashed by the DJ haters team?

I mean, look at the user who created this thread ... He doesn't really care about the posts that the other users made to help him finding a "good DJ Ashba Song":

Fuck off to all the crying little girls who can't handle the thread. Don't like it? Get the fuck out of the thread. You know where the real negativity comes from? You morons. Everyone gets along around here for the most part until the idiot horde arrives at the doorstep.

Of course you're too busy spazzing out to even notice that I, the thread creator, gave credit to the very first song anyone posted in the thread. Absolutely embarrassing bunch of whiners, you are.

I would like to know if the admin/ mod team subscribes this kind of behavior. Thank you in advance. :)

Everybody knows by now that DJ is the devil. There's no reason to keep the thread opened. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a cupcake thread. I don't know anything of Ashba's work, I like Ballad of Death, the others not so much. When I have the time later today, I'd like to give some of these songs a listen. So thanks to all the people for the input and thanks, creator, for this thread. (And if there's some trolling in this thread, I'll skip it and just listen to the songs.)

• Like 1

The riff on This Is Gonna Hurt (posted by Silent Jay) is OK. It's workable at least. Song as a whole sucks. Solo sucks.

What's becoming clear to me is that if DJ's a guitarist at all (debatable :lol: ) he's definitely most valuable as a studio guy and co-writer, and least valuable as a live performer, so what the fuck? Unless it really is all cynical as hell and he's only there for the image, Slash lookalike, Hogan ear, hashtag bullshit.

Edit: song I listened to is Live Forever. I guess This Is Gonna Hurt is album title?

Edited by magisme

Ashba is one of my favourite guitar player since the first Sixx AM debut album.

He composed with Nikki Sixx the last Motley Crue album and i love it!

He composed the first album of Beautiful Creatures in 2001, i like it! song as Kick Out is awesome for me! Hard Rock!

He composed Sixx AM albums with Michaels and Sixx and i like too.

Its, after Axl, my favourite new member in the band.

What's becoming clear to me is that if DJ's a guitarist at all (debatable :lol: ) he's definitely most valuable as a studio guy and co-writer, and least valuable as a live performer, so what the fuck? Unless it really is all cynical as hell and he's only there for the image, Slash lookalike, Hogan ear, hashtag bullshit.

It is strange to me as well. I hope Axl wanted him as a writer primarily and accepts his live shit because, apparently, it does seem to resonate with younger fans. We older fans may scorn the emo schtick but is it really that different from the glam scene where GN'R came from? And if it does open up GN'R for a new demographic then, I guess, that should be important. In addition, we make much more fuss over Dj's playing than casual fans'. When I read reviews in magazines and from other people he tends to get more praise than Bumblefoot and Richard (which is mind-blowing to me but suggests there is more to him than the notes he (occasionally inadvertently) creates.

It is strange to me as well. I hope Axl wanted him as a writer primarily and accepts his live shit because, apparently, it does seem to resonate with younger fans. We older fans may scorn the emo schtick but is it really that different from the glam scene where GN'R came from? And if it does open up GN'R for a new demographic then, I guess, that should be important. In addition, we make much more fuss over Dj's playing than casual fans'. When I read reviews in magazines and from other people he tends to get more praise than Bumblefoot and Richard (which is mind-blowing to me but suggests there is more to him than the notes he (occasionally inadvertently) creates.
But is it opening up a new demographic for the future of Guns, or is it opening up a demographic as fresh consumers of the old shit? Time is beginning to tell.

Glam sucked too. Glad GNR moved away from it.

But is it opening up a new demographic for the future of Guns, or is it opening up a demographic as fresh consumers of the old shit? Time is beginning to tell.

As long as they're not putting anything out (which, since he joined, they aren't) the answer to that seems pretty clear. Sadly.

I hope both.

I've listened to a few songs now and I think they're okay. Nothing eath shattering to me, but okay. I can easily listen to them. I noticed in Sixx AM's Oh My God that around the 5 minute mark, there seems to be a bit of one of DJ's first two solos ? Has anybody heard that too ? Don't know if it's BOD or Mi Amor, but certainly recognized one of them there.

DJ himself said that he wasn't that good in playing other people's stuff and that he's there to write new stuff for GNR. So that in itself indicates that he at least knows what he's not very good at. It sucks that he hasn't been able to prove (yet) that he can really bring something to the table.

EDIT: Will listen to a couple more later, when I have the time :)

Edited by Lio

DJ himself said that he wasn't that good in playing other people's stuff and that he's there to write new stuff for GNR. So that in itself indicates that he at least knows what he's not very good at. It sucks that he hasn't been able to prove (yet) that he can really bring something to the table.

EDIT: Will listen to a couple more later, when I have the time :)

As much as I dislike DJ, I don't believe he's the hold-up in creating and releasing new material. Just like Buckethead, Robin, Ron, Richard, Paul, Tommy, Chris, Dizzy, Brain, Josh and Frank haven't been the hold-up.

I believe DJ when he says he wants to. I also believe however that he should shut the hell up and stop creating unrealistic expectations because obviously it's not happening.

• Like 1

I believe DJ when he says he wants to. I also believe however that he should shut the hell up and stop creating unrealistic expectations because obviously it's not happening.

Where you one of the guys who made fools of themselves by claiming Chinese Democracy would never come out? We had to wait 15 years for CD, we have only waited 6 for a follow-up...

Where you one of the guys who made fools of themselves by claiming Chinese Democracy would never come out? We had to wait 15 years for CD, we have only waited 6 for a follow-up...

Yes, I'm the fool for mocking an album that took 15 years.

Plus you can't possibly feel it's productive that everybody keeps saying that they're writing stuff and working on stuff while absolutely nothing comes out for years. It's just frustrating to fans and therefor stupid to do.

Edited by username

What's becoming clear to me is that if DJ's a guitarist at all (debatable :lol: ) he's definitely most valuable as a studio guy and co-writer, and least valuable as a live performer

So you needed 5 years and a cupcake thread to realize that, and the retarded is me?

LOL

retard-kid_o_157311.jpg

• Like 1