The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Too bad Taishan Dong isn't being televised before Canelo-Kirkland. Getting the Mayweather-Pacquiao replay instead. Haven't seen Taishan yet. Curious to see the 7 foot heavyweight. Would have liked him to be televised, especially since the original scheduled televised undercard was cancelled.

Canelo, wow! What a knockout. Really hope those who complained about last week watched that one. So much action in those three rounds, capped off by a knockout like that. The uppercut on the second knockdown was a thing of beauty as well.

Please bring on Canelo-GGG after Cotto. There's a mega fight that could live up to expectations.

Canelo is a great fighter, I could see that before he fought Floyd, he bought into his own hype and tried to outbox the master boxer though, he needed to use his size and power but thought he was too good for that. I don't think he beats Mayweather in a rematch either, he just doesn't pressure or impose himself and that's what troubles floyd, literally nothing else does. He's taking the De La Hoya approach, take on all comers and put on a show. This guy will take on Golovkin no problem but Oscar will wait a year or two and it'll be a superfight, I think he'll stop Cotto when that happens too. He is plodding and still has a suspect gas tank but he can throw fast combinations regardless.

Watched some boxing after a long time...

Watched Figueroa Jr vs Ricky Burns, great fight but Figueroa is just one dimensional. But very tough.

Jamie McDonnell won as well.

Anthony Joshua looked good, in beating someone called Raphael Zumbano Love. Bit of a pointless fight though....

Broner-Porter at a 144 catchweight in Las Vegas on June 20. Will be on PBC on NBC.

Broner wants it, Amir wants it, whats the problem?

Hopefully it happens after these next fights for them. Porter's not a bad alternative--certainly tougher than Broner's last few since Maidana. Still though, hopefully Broner-Khan happens later this year.

I agree. His last opponent had took some vicious punishment in his last 3 to 4 fights. He shouldn't have been in the ring with a 6'6 17 stone plus heavyweight.

Kevin Johnson is a very good fight for him. If he stops him mid to late rounds, I would class that as an impressive win.

Boom Boom Mancini puts Mayweather in the top 40.

"Of all-time? Top 30, maybe top 40. I can name 40 fighters I think had better careers than Mayweather. Kid Gavilán -- who is Kid Gavilán? He had 143 fights and was never knocked or stopped ever as a pro. A guy like Charlie Birdy, Ike Williams -- these guys fought during The Depression when you had to learn how to fight for survival, which made the competition much better than it is today. Henry Armstrong won three world titles simultaneously in 1938. In one year, three titles, three different weight classes, and almost won a fourth that year but judges scored it a draw. You’re telling me Floyd's greater than that? Hell no."

Mancini will gain some respect for Mayweather if he picks the challenging opponent for the grand finale. Gennady Golovkin of Kazakhstan is also undefeated at 32-0 with his next fight coming against American Willie Monroe, Jr. at The Forum in Inglewood, Calif., this Saturday.

Golovkin, 33, is a middleweight, which has a 160-pound limit. Mayweather has been fighting at welterweight (147 pounds). Mancini believes the two can find a common ground at light middleweight (154). He also believes Golovkin, who Mancini says is the best fighter in the world, would end the Mayweather fairy tale.

"People ask me if Floyd would go up a class to fight Golovkin," Mancini says. "I tell them Mayweather wouldn't get within 100 yards of him. He won’t go in the same area code as Golovkin. Golovkin would destroy him. Floyd fought [Miguel] Cotto at 154, he fought Canelo [saúl Álvarez]- at 154 -- Golovkin said he could make 154. Why wouldn't he fight Golovkin? Because Floyd Mayweather, Jr. doesn't have the balls. Golovkin would dismantle him."

Boom Boom Mancini puts Mayweather in the top 40.

"Of all-time? Top 30, maybe top 40. I can name 40 fighters I think had better careers than Mayweather. Kid Gavilán -- who is Kid Gavilán? He had 143 fights and was never knocked or stopped ever as a pro. A guy like Charlie Birdy, Ike Williams -- these guys fought during The Depression when you had to learn how to fight for survival, which made the competition much better than it is today. Henry Armstrong won three world titles simultaneously in 1938. In one year, three titles, three different weight classes, and almost won a fourth that year but judges scored it a draw. Youre telling me Floyd's greater than that? Hell no."

Mancini will gain some respect for Mayweather if he picks the challenging opponent for the grand finale. Gennady Golovkin of Kazakhstan is also undefeated at 32-0 with his next fight coming against American Willie Monroe, Jr. at The Forum in Inglewood, Calif., this Saturday.

Golovkin, 33, is a middleweight, which has a 160-pound limit. Mayweather has been fighting at welterweight (147 pounds). Mancini believes the two can find a common ground at light middleweight (154). He also believes Golovkin, who Mancini says is the best fighter in the world, would end the Mayweather fairy tale.

"People ask me if Floyd would go up a class to fight Golovkin," Mancini says. "I tell them Mayweather wouldn't get within 100 yards of him. He wont go in the same area code as Golovkin. Golovkin would destroy him. Floyd fought [Miguel] Cotto at 154, he fought Canelo [saúl Álvarez]- at 154 -- Golovkin said he could make 154. Why wouldn't he fight Golovkin? Because Floyd Mayweather, Jr. doesn't have the balls. Golovkin would dismantle him."

I agree with him. Ike Williams was a fucking G, his fight against Beau Jack was so brutal it was scary.

Watch that from 7.20...towards the end you can see Ike Williams turn to the ref, he was quoted as saying 'what do you want me to do, kill the guy?'.

Dunno about GGG beating Floyd though, i think Floyd would do him.

Edited by Len B'stard

My favourite Tyson interview is 'I broke my back' lol.

I learned a long time ago you don't bet against Mayweather but Golovkin at 160... even 154, he says he can make that weight but he'd surely work a lot harder cutting down... even at 154 his power and intelligence would be there, Mayweather has respectable power at welterweight but it wouldn't bother triple g who has been hit by fully fledged middlweights. I know he backed Canelo up, but he would not find a way to back Golovkin up, I really don't believe he could. I think Mayweather would've backed a guy like Martinez up but not this guy. Sure, Floyd is unbelievable at avoiding unnecessary engagements and outpointing opponents even under ridiculous pressure, I thought Maidana fought to a draw, Golovkin is a different animal altogether, he hasn't fought anyone of note to be honest, Murray was a solid test, from what I've seen though as a massive Mayweather fan, I think Golovkin is too much. Even if Mayweather merely takes the fight, I'd value that above having a zero on his record, which he doesn't anyway since Castillo won in 1.

If he's TBE he takes this fight, I'd have it 60/40 for GGG. I wouldn't expect him to take this even though Cotto moved up to take on a no knees Maravilla, it's not out of the question but it's pretty insane for a guy who's a small welterweight then again Duran went up several classes.

Edited by RandallFlagg

I'd take Mayweather over GGG, but give GGG the best chance out of everyone out there in beating Mayweather, just based off of the off chance he can connect on a couple of clean power shots. If he can land a few clean ones like Maidana or Pacquiao did, then it would be interesting to see if Mayweather could withstand his elite level of power.

GGG mentioned wanting Canelo maybe next May:

We'll see if that happens. Really hope they don't wait two years like De La Hoya mentioned. Wouldn't think that'd make Canelo look good if he puts it off that long. Think Canelo could easily make the transition to 160 whenever he wants to at this point, so waiting until GGG turns 35 could be viewed as ducking him while he's at his most dangerous. The two seem like the obvious choices for each other (after Cotto faces one of them later this year as is being talked about), so hopefully it happens sooner rather than later.

Floyd won't fight him, they took him fuckin' 5 years to get him to stop bottling it from Pacquiao...and he could handle him, it'd be the same thing here, erring on the side of caution.

They say he went to some game, one of your lots games, basketball or...i dunno what it was actually, what are The Grizzlies? Well whatever fuckin' yankee sport it was Money was there and they stuck him up on the screen like as if he was the big dick and this crowd starts booing him. Fuck man, fuckin' biggest sports star that countrys got and everyone hates him, how tragic is he? :lol:

Ricky Hatton was in the paper yesterday going 'whats the point in being the biggest sports star and everyone thinks you're a dickhead? :lol: He makes a fair point y'know :lol:

As for Triple G, timing beats power, Mayweather would work him out then grind him down. It'd be a carbon of the Pacman fight, with the running, the rolling, the timing and the domination. Only the running willl be a bit more warranted with GGG. He won't tag him though.

Edited by Len B'stard

Floyd won't fight him, they took him fuckin' 5 years to get him to stop bottling it from Pacquiao...and he could handle him, it'd be the same thing here, erring on the side of caution.

They say he went to some game, one of your lots games, basketball or...i dunno what it was actually, what are The Grizzlies? Well whatever fuckin' yankee sport it was Money was there and they stuck him up on the screen like as if he was the big dick and this crowd starts booing him. Fuck man, fuckin' biggest sports star that countrys got and everyone hates him, how tragic is he? :lol:

Ricky Hatton was in the paper yesterday going 'whats the point in being the biggest sports star and everyone thinks you're a dickhead? :lol: He makes a fair point y'know :lol:

As for Triple G, timing beats power, Mayweather would work him out then grind him down. It'd be a carbon of the Pacman fight, with the running, the rolling, the timing and the domination. Only the running willl be a bit more warranted with GGG. He won't tag him though.

You are probably right. What about this remainding show time fight? Just some bum? It would be good if he had a big fight to end his career on; even Khan would have some interest value. But, I doubt it will happen and he will just fight some middle ranked contender.

I think he would want someone easier than Khan to be honest. Mayweather really epitomises the modern boxer in that, any fight of interest value is avoided at all possible costs. Compare it to the 1980s where they were moving back and forward through weight divisions and really thought in terms of, beating big names. Leonard did not even want Hagler's title; it was just to beat Hagler and secure a legacy - it was the fight people wanted.

I think he would want someone easier than Khan to be honest. Mayweather really epitomises the modern boxer in that, any fight of interest value is avoided at all possible costs. Compare it to the 1980s where they were moving back and forward through weight divisions and really thought in terms of, beating big names. Leonard did not even want Hagler's title; it was just to beat Hagler and secure a legacy - it was the fight people wanted.

I don't see that Khan would be a problem. Khan is weak on the fundamentals and doesn't have a good boxing brain, he'd be a cakewalk for money. Everyone goes on about speed speed speed...but speed at what, speed doing what, they're just straight one-twos, you think you're gonna dismantle Money with those kindsa tools? Not in a million years. The fact that Khan fundamentals are weak and he fights in a very very very clear rhythm Money will work him the fuck out and dominate him. He'll be hitting Khan with overhead rights, check-hooks, he'll walk right through him.

The thing about the fundamentals are that they are simple and easy but you have to have em nailed and once you have em nailed, like they're part of your DNA you start to break them down and see the nuance and detail in some of the actions of it, THATS when you get to being an elite fighter. It's kinda like drumming and how some of the simplest drum-beats, when repeated, start to reveal poly-rhythms and nuances that your ear only starts to pick up when you got that stuff down cold.

Reminds me of that quote where Ginger Baker goes 'Jack Bruce is the kinda guy where he'll stay up all night to watch the sunset, catch two minutes of it and then run off and tell everybody about how he's seen the sunset', it's like that, not taking the time to appreciate and develop and come to terms with certain shit.

You have to have a very quick mind and a lot of poise, Amir Khan is someone who was hyper-active as a kid and you can see it when he's in the trenches or generally when he's in the ring, if you watch closely you can read people, you can see his mind start to race, he's very reactive, it's why he's easily drawn into a brawl, like a bitch swinging a handbag, she'll get hit and she don't know nothing better than to just swing right back. Can't be like that on the elite level, gotta be thinking thinking thinking, thinking all the time, it's the thinking boxer that will do you every time.

I've seen Virgil Hunter do padwork with Khan and he's like correcting his footwork. Like actually correcting mistakes, not advise on how to pivot more effectively or distribute weight or something more specific like that, actual fuck ups in fundamentals, which for a boxer at his level is crazy.

I seen the same think with Little Chris Eubank, people are wowed by the speed, the power and they see this and trainers see this and they get excited and thinking NEXT BIG THING! But his fundamentals are weak, i seen Ronnie correct him on basics in videos too. It's why he got undone by Billie Joe Saunders, a good solid boxer with an Olympic pedigree who had good solid fundamentals. He basically frustrated Little Chris for six rounds with simply a jab, basic fuckin' stuff.

I seen Virgil Hunter tell Amir to circle away from fighters and not circle ACROSS their field of vision, because you are opening yourself up to get dropped. At his stage in his career he should not be needing to be told that shit.

He got to the big time and just signed up with Freddie Roach, sight unseen, just cuz he's the big name, instead of using their brains and signing up with a guy he could learn from. Not cuz Roach is a shit trainer he's like...an Arsene Wenger, he teaches an attacking game, which is madness for someone like Amir cuz it's contrary to whats suitable to him, you send a chinny fighter like him out there like that he's gonna get dusted off...and he did.

So now he's with Virgil Hunter learning the basics...in his mid to late 20s, he ain't gonna do shit against top level elite fighters like Floyd. Shit, he can't even deal with a Danny Garcia.

I liken Floyd to watching Bruce Lee do O Hara in Enter the Dragon, calm, poised, complete counter-attacking the whole time, using the other persons movement and trajectory against them, hitting them clean and frustrating him...with the only difference being Floyd don't sign em off at the end like Bruce :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard