The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

I don't post in the work out thread either so I guess if I started posting in there people would tell me to learn something about working out haha.

What do you squat, brah?

haha! I'd tell ya but I always laugh at the guys who tell how much they lift haha

Of course you do.

I don't post in the work out thread either so I guess if I started posting in there people would tell me to learn something about working out haha.

What do you squat, brah?

haha! I'd tell ya but I always laugh at the guys who tell how much they lift haha

Of course you do.

See what i mean about absolute cunt? :lol: 'i scoff at those underlings packed into gyms preoccupied with how much they lift!' :lol: What an absolute bellend. 'I shall keep my numbers secret because...uh...' :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

This fight killed boxing as a spectator sport.

No way. You should have heard the bitching after Floyd's fight with Oscar, now that was a boring fight. I found last night to be quite entertaining, especially for a mayweather fight. But kill boxing? No way.
Not boxing as a sport but as mainstream ennertainment. With the amount of money and hype for it then not to deliver what the masses wanted: Rocky 4 on steroids would only suffice.

Technically speaking even as a layman it's an interesting fight but I doubt this kind of even fight will happen again.

If Money and PAC want to take it to the streets, open handed then that might be worth watching.

Edited by wasted

Amir Khan is a fuckin' god send for Mayweather because hes SOOOO overrated, for some reason people consider him the next in line for Mayweather when he is nowhere near that calibre or breed.

So it'll be his last fight, this overrated cunt, Floyd will destroy him, i wouldnt be suprised if he knocked Amir out just off of sheer dominance and sustain beating, kinda like Gatti. And then go out on top, having exposed Amir Khan who people rate so highly for some odd reason, its pretty much sewn up for Floyd now.

Is this his next fight? The guy is relinquishing his belts. Just to reiterate what I am saying, two final fights against Brook and Khan and he can end his career as ''undisputed champ' and justifiable say he has 'cleared out a division'. He would also beat Marciano's record. Even a big hater like me would have to concede him those three 'legacy' facts.

Makes no sense to me.

He has often said when confronted with such propositions 'a belt don't make me'. And in all fairness, as much as i detest the disrespect to the hierachy and functions of the institutions, he's managed thus far with that attitude. Beating him is kinda like the biggest belt in boxing right now.

Like i said, i detest that sort of disrespect for the titles that men bled their guts out for but hey, it's the world we live in :shrugs:

He is correct. The belts are wank but collectively that term, 'undisputed' does count for something. It sort of, circumnavigates the bullshit since all these belts should not exist but you have won them all anyway so it is an academic point, how corrupt the sanctioning bodies are. You have rendered it so by beating the system.

I agree totally, especially if i was in Floyds position and the shit is such a cakewalk for him, I'd want all of em just for the fact of being able to say that i have them.

But then whats weightier, undisputed champion or pound for pound best? I'd say undisputed really, it's in the name innit, undisputed champion of the world, undisputed, no contrary argument present.

He must have tons of belts by now, for the Canelo fight they even made up some kinda of special fuckin' belt that was on the line, encrusted with emeralds.

Edited by Len B'stard

'Pound for pound' is rather abstract because it is just a hypothetical term used by aficionados. You are never going to test it out by putting Wlad in the ring with Floyd (well, Sugar Ray Leonard was fighting light Heavyweight at the end of his career so it is not totally implausible). The Ring Lineal counts for the most because you have to be beaten to lose it. He can relinquish his belts but he will still be Ring champion until he retires and Ring Magazine create another lineage. It is not perfect because different organisations recognise different lineages when a boxer retires but it is the closest thing we have to a bona fide respected title. If you couple that with 'undisputed', you are really rocking and rolling. I suppose, yes the sanctioning boards are corrupt and at least two of these belts should not even exist in my opinion, but they are still there to win. Beat them at their own game. 'Undisputed' is better than ''WBA'' ''Blah dee blahh'' because you have clarified it.

Fighters like Tyson and Lewis were very proud of the term, 'undisputed' and there were three of them then (now there is the WBO although some people still do not see that as essential).

Edited by DieselDaisy

Pound for pound is basically something they cooked up so they could say 'Ray Robinson is the best fighter alive' without some smart arse going 'no he's not, Joe Louis would beat him!'

Edited by Len B'stard

Knowing modern boxers, they are probably all waiting for all these belts to go free without having fought for them, nobody willing to risk themselves in becoming ''Mayweather's last victim''. Boxers seem so cautious and scared now. They seem to plot 'perfect careers' and avoid the dangerous fights. Khan at least has talked up Mayweather. Well he has been around a bit for awhile and is at least a 'name' - more so in Britain. Might be a worthwhile challenger.

Knowing modern boxers, they are probably all waiting for all these belts to go free without having fought for them, nobody willing to risk themselves in becoming ''Mayweather's last victim''. Boxers seem so cautious and scared now. They seem to plot 'perfect careers' and avoid the dangerous fights. Khan at least has talked up Mayweather. Well he has been around a bit for awhile and is at least a 'name' - more so in Britain. Might be a worthwhile challenger.

Word for word spot on, plotting careers, precisely. I mean theres any number of contenders to fight Floyd that make sense. The first I'd say was Danny Garcia, undefeated champ, beat Amir Khan, Lamont Petersen, Lucas Mathyyssee, any number of top contenders...but no one makes the match cuz each ones plotting their own career.

For instance his last fight against Maidana, any of the above (apart from Petersen) was a better opponent than him...or Guerrero.

Floyd goes up in weight to light middle to fight Canelo...if you can go up that far why not take on GGG?

Adrien Broner even, before the Maidana defeat, he would've been a suitable opponent. One Time Keith Thurman would be a fantastic opponent.

Fuck, if you REALLY wannabe bad put on the weight and have Andre Ward face you...that would really be the best in boxing vs the other best. But fuck, Ward undefeated, wont even take on GGG in his own weight, nevermind a Floyd match up.

People are openly bottling it from GGG, they asked Billie Joe Saunders whoose Olympic Gold Medalist and undefeated, beat Eubank Jnr if he wanted it and he goes 'nah, im not really yet', you're 25 years old you cunt, when you gonna be ready?

Literally no one wants to fight GGG and he wants to fight everybody, its farcical really. Champions are openly bottling it and acting like its normal, nothing to be ashamed of.

You're supposed to LEAP at the chance to fight the best, this burning fire of competition that wont let you live with the doubt that NOT having faced your opponent yet leaves, its really mental.

The smartest thing Floyd did was making sure this fight happened in 2015 and not in 2011.

What I find fascinating about Floyd's career (in and out of ring) is how his career/history compares to Iron Mike Tyson. Tyson was - for a while - a savage outside the ring. Convicted of rape, smacked his 110 pound wife around, talked about killing and eating an opponents children - but then he got in the ring and was STILL that same savage and mad man.

But Floyd is a savage outside the ring - accused of battering women, skips court dates to go to the strip club, talks about how he is the greatest ever, always bragging about his money.......but in the ring, he isn't a beast at all, and fights the EXACT opposite way that his day-to-day persona would indicate. He doesn't get in the ring and try and destroy his opponent, but instead just plays defense and tries to out point his opponent. His real life persona doesn't match up with how he fights at all.

It's like the loud mouth guy at the bar who is bragging that he is the toughest guy in the room and will KICK anybody's ass, so you go outside to fight him.........and he just jumps on top of you, puts you in a bear hug, and lays on top of you until you give up. Yes, you technically "lost" but.......

When people pay $100 for a pay-per-view or $25,000 for a seat inside the arena to see the self-proclaimed "greatest of all time" they want to see a guy who is going to try and destroy his opponent. Not a guy who is just trying to score one more point per round than his opponent and who wants to win a decision.

Yes, the sweet sport of boxing. Yes, Floyd easily won this fight. But the loser - Manny - probably didn't even have to take a Tylenol after the fight. When somebody gets "dominated" by the greatest of all time, they should be bloodied, bruised and probably knocked out. Not able to go out dancing two hours later without it looking like he was just in a fight.

IMO, and just my opinion, Floyd is definitely in the hall of fame and one of the best boxers of my generation. But shouldn't even be mentioned in GOAT talk, and to be completely honest, there are probably 100 different fights I'd rather watch than re-watch any of Floyd's fights, including the "fight of the century."

Very similar to the Axl keeping the GnR name situation.

Axl kept the name GnR - and now he has to live with that and all the criticism it brings. But keeping the name allowed him to headline festivals and make millions upon millions of dollars.

Floyd's mouth and his boxing style helped him become the Money Maker and go 48-0 and just earn 100 million dollars for a fight. But at the end of the day, most boxing fans would rather re-watch haggler-hearns than re-watch any of Floyd's fights.

If a mad scientist brought you a time machine that let you travel back in time and gave you ringside seats to any 10 fights in history. Would any of Floyd's fights make that top 10? Top 20?

Floyds job isn't to please the crowds. It's to win fights and make himself money. But that's also why he'll never get the title of GOAT.

• Like 1

The smartest thing Floyd did was making sure this fight happened in 2015 and not in 2011.

What I find fascinating about Floyd's career (in and out of ring) is how his career/history compares to Iron Mike Tyson. Tyson was - for a while - a savage outside the ring. Convicted of rape, smacked his 110 pound wife around, talked about killing and eating an opponents children - but then he got in the ring and was STILL that same savage and mad man.

But Floyd is a savage outside the ring - accused of battering women, skips court dates to go to the strip club, talks about how he is the greatest ever, always bragging about his money.......but in the ring, he isn't a beast at all, and fights the EXACT opposite way that his day-to-day persona would indicate. He doesn't get in the ring and try and destroy his opponent, but instead just plays defense and tries to out point his opponent. His real life persona doesn't match up with how he fights at all.

It's like the loud mouth guy at the bar who is bragging that he is the toughest guy in the room and will KICK anybody's ass, so you go outside to fight him.........and he just jumps on top of you, puts you in a bear hug, and lays on top of you until you give up. Yes, you technically "lost" but.......

When people pay $100 for a pay-per-view or $25,000 for a seat inside the arena to see the self-proclaimed "greatest of all time" they want to see a guy who is going to try and destroy his opponent. Not a guy who is just trying to score one more point per round than his opponent and who wants to win a decision.

Yes, the sweet sport of boxing. Yes, Floyd easily won this fight. But the loser - Manny - probably didn't even have to take a Tylenol after the fight. When somebody gets "dominated" by the greatest of all time, they should be bloodied, bruised and probably knocked out. Not able to go out dancing two hours later without it looking like he was just in a fight.

IMO, and just my opinion, Floyd is definitely in the hall of fame and one of the best boxers of my generation. But shouldn't even be mentioned in GOAT talk, and to be completely honest, there are probably 100 different fights I'd rather watch than re-watch any of Floyd's fights, including the "fight of the century."

Axl kept the name GnR - and now he has to live with that and all the criticism it brings. But keeping the name allowed him to headline festivals and make millions upon millions of dollars.

Floyd's mouth and his boxing style helped him become the Money Maker and go 48-0 and just earn 100 million dollars for a fight. But at the end of the day, most boxing fans would rather re-watch haggler-hearns than re-watch any of Floyd's fights.

If a mad scientist brought you a time machine that let you travel back in time and gave you ringside seats to any 10 fights in history. Would any of Floyd's fights make that top 10? Top 20?

Floyds job isn't to please the crowds. It's to win fights and make himself money. But that's also why he'll never get the title of GOAT.

Thank you Apollo, here we have someone who can seperate himself from the fact he doesnt like Floyd (and neither do i) and still be sober in his assessments instead of saying ridiculous things like hes shit thats not how you win and all kindsa silliness.

The GOAT thing aint even a question worth taking seriously. I think some of his fights are great to watch if you wanna see some serious skill. The Diego Corralles fight, the Gatti fight (which is almost cruel to watch). But yeah, over a Hagler or a Hearns? Fuck that.

Edited by Len B'stard

Completely agree, he is in the discussion for best welterweight ever, but honestly I have trouble putting him in the top 5, perhaps even top 10. Honestly I can easily rate both Sugar Rays, Hearns, Duran, Chavez, and Armstrong a head of Floyd. So what's that? 6Th all time according to me, and that's just in the welterweight class, not all divisions. So hardly the goat, and I think most would agree with that. Well except hard core Floyd fans, they really do think he is the goat, which is really sad IMO...

Completely agree, he is in the discussion for best welterweight ever, but honestly I have trouble putting him in the top 5, perhaps even top 10. Honestly I can easily rate both Sugar Rays, Hearns, Duran, Chavez, and Armstrong a head of Floyd. So what's that? 6Th all time according to me, and that's just in the welterweight class, not all divisions. So hardly the goat, and I think most would agree with that. Well except hard core Floyd fans, they really do think he is the goat, which is really sad IMO...

Pernell Whittaker, Ted Kid Lewis, Benitez, thats 9

Word for word spot on, plotting careers, precisely. I mean theres any number of contenders to fight Floyd that make sense. The first I'd say was Danny Garcia, undefeated champ, beat Amir Khan, Lamont Petersen, Lucas Mathyyssee, any number of top contenders...but no one makes the match cuz each ones plotting their own career.

For instance his last fight against Maidana, any of the above (apart from Petersen) was a better opponent than him...or Guerrero.

Floyd goes up in weight to light middle to fight Canelo...if you can go up that far why not take on GGG?

Adrien Broner even, before the Maidana defeat, he would've been a suitable opponent. One Time Keith Thurman would be a fantastic opponent.

Fuck, if you REALLY wannabe bad put on the weight and have Andre Ward face you...that would really be the best in boxing vs the other best. But fuck, Ward undefeated, wont even take on GGG in his own weight, nevermind a Floyd match up.

People are openly bottling it from GGG, they asked Billie Joe Saunders whoose Olympic Gold Medalist and undefeated, beat Eubank Jnr if he wanted it and he goes 'nah, im not really yet', you're 25 years old you cunt, when you gonna be ready?

Literally no one wants to fight GGG and he wants to fight everybody, its farcical really. Champions are openly bottling it and acting like its normal, nothing to be ashamed of.

You're supposed to LEAP at the chance to fight the best, this burning fire of competition that wont let you live with the doubt that NOT having faced your opponent yet leaves, its really mental.

Spot on. I was looking at the ages of these fighters. Thurman is 25 so just entering his prime, but Brook and Khan are 29/28, i.e. the last stages of their prime. These are not young young fighters.

Lennox got KO'd by Hasim Rahman, which he deserved because he took the first fight too lightly, acted cocky and Rahman floored him, Lewis always have a questionable chin. Lewis got him back in the rematch and KO'd Rahman. And another thing...Lewis blatantly pushed Tyson to the floor after hitting him even though Tyson was done. It's weird though when people suspect boxers have questionable chins, when somebody weighing 20 stone punches me with big thick gloves on, I'd drop like a sack of potatoes.

One Time Keith Thurman would be a fantastic opponent.

Hoping for Thurman. Still think power over trying to outbox Mayweather is still the best [very slim] chance of beating him. I'd like to see how Thurman does being in his physical prime, and with his combination of high IQ and power. See if he can figure out how to break Mayweather's defense for a few hard shots and see what happens. Doubt he would be able to, but think he'd stand a better chance than Khan. Edited by ronaldo9

N

Spot on. I was looking at the ages of these fighters. Thurman is 25 so just entering his prime, but Brook and Khan are 29/28, i.e. the last stages of their prime. These are not young young fighters.

No one can beat Floyd. No one. He's so much better than everyone else its not even remotely close. He can pick and choose how many rounds he's going to win and lose. That's why the fights are "boring" I think he even tries to let his opponents in just a litte- just to make the fight a little better. I think he's really underrated. He's unmatched as a technical fighter and he's the last great villain and big draw of the soon-deceased boxing era.

Certainly he plots things in advance, but I think he does that more from the business perspective. I don't think its out of trying to find the safer fights. I think its from the marketing perspective, because his in-ring game simply cannot be touched. Personally I think he'll "retire" after the next fight and comeback for one more payday after that and hang it up after 50-0.

I agree with you on both these counts. I think he maximized the money by drawing it out.

To the 2nd point, I think Floyd entertains and compels the crowd with his outside the ring persona. In the ring he is a pure technician, but I think he's equally calculated both in and outside the ring.

It'll never happen, but GGG is onboard for a Mayweather bout it appears. He's been retweeting some fans and articles saying Mayweather should fight him next. No way Mayweather takes that chance though.

It ain't about being safe. Its about the money. There is a reason for the moniker. No once can beat him so "chance" is not a consideration. its just all about the legacy of his reputation, but most of all the MONEY. I'll concede that he's a little past his prime, but he's still miles ahead of any of the closest competition. A defensive fighter of his tehnical magnitude (if there are any) doesn't lose it suddenly like the stronger, more offensive minded lumberjacks tend to. I reckon he could easily dominate the sport until age 40 with relatively little eas, if he so chose.

N

No one can beat Floyd. No one. He's so much better than everyone else its not even remotely close. He can pick and choose how many rounds he's going to win and lose. That's why the fights are "boring" I think he even tries to let his opponents in just a litte- just to make the fight a little better. I think he's really underrated. He's unmatched as a technical fighter and he's the last great villain and big draw of the soon-deceased boxing era.

Certainly he plots things in advance, but I think he does that more from the business perspective. I don't think its out of trying to find the safer fights. I think its from the marketing perspective, because his in-ring game simply cannot be touched. Personally I think he'll "retire" after the next fight and comeback for one more payday after that and hang it up after 50-0.

There's someone out there to beat everyone...always. Sometimes even an incredibly lesser fighter, it's just about the night sometimes, that night, that time in your life.

Hearing noises about Danny Garcia vs Adrien Broner, God I'd love to see that. I'm not even the biggest fan of Danny Swift but I'd love to see one of those solid telegraphed roundhouse shots tap Broners jaw and knock his fuckin' fronts into the fifth row, the slack jawed twat.

A defensive fighter of his tehnical magnitude (if there are any)

Bernard Hopkins. Andre Ward is something approaching that shit too (different weight class i know but i mean as a broad thing). And B-Hop actually had some fuckin' offense back in the day too.

Nobodys gonna beat Floyd but he ain't unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination. Guillermo Rigondeaux does a similar thing to Floyd and appears to be making a career of it. Terence Crawford i believe has a fantastic skill-set, there are people on the horizon, Floyd is not the be all and end all by any stretch, nor is he some unbeatable champion.

I don't think Mayweathers gonna retire either. He'll be back, they're always back. When 18 months of retirement has set in and he's bored as shit and looks around and all his little friends ain't interested in his company anymore he'll be back, the light pulls em all back eventually.

He's in good nick, he can move around well, his skills ain't diminished to handle the motherfuckers around nowadays, he'll be back.

Having said that for this All Access he wrote a letter to all members of the money team saying 'there's a beginning and an end and i love you all and you've served me well but i can't be your go-to man anymore" Translation: I'm gonna stop fighting now so the incomes gonna slow down considerably so i can't buy you Breitling watches and Jacobs jewellery so you'll be hang around me and pretend to be my friends anymore so this is goodbye.

The long and short of it is Mayweather is a dud character, no personality, just a dullard that, in the final reckoning is just good for impressing people in gyms...and when he don't have that no more and no one can bear his fuckin' company and he's just sitting around the big boy mansion with his prick in his hands, he'll be begging to hear Michael Buffer call his name again.

Edited by Len B'stard