Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Did anyone else think that in last night's NLCS game, the home plate umpire was calling outside pitches to right-handed hitters wildly inconsistently? I honestly do not know which team, if either, the majority of his incorrect calls wound up favoring, but it just seemed bad all game.

Snyde is only like 21 years old though so he should be fine physically.

If a team has to choose between Grienke and Price - there is no comparison is there?

No comparison for sure. Greinke is unquestionably the better target. Younger, more consistent, and more upside. Price is pretty much as good as hell ever be, Greinke can still improve. I just think Price is more likely to come to the Cubs without the maximum price-gouge than Greinke is.

Did anyone else think that in last night's NLCS game, the home plate umpire was calling outside pitches to right-handed hitters wildly inconsistently? I honestly do not know which team, if either, the majority of his incorrect calls wound up favoring, but it just seemed bad all game.

I didn't think they were too inconsistent. The outside corner just extended a foot outside the plate. In the Cards series the plate calls were awful game 1 but really tightened up after. We'll see what happens tonight.

If a team has to choose between Grienke and Price - there is no comparison is there?

No comparison for sure. Greinke is unquestionably the better target. Younger, more consistent, and more upside. Price is pretty much as good as hell ever be, Greinke can still improve. I just think Price is more likely to come to the Cubs without the maximum price-gouge than Greinke is.

I didn't think they were too inconsistent. The outside corner just extended a foot outside the plate. In the Cards series the plate calls were awful game 1 but really tightened up after. We'll see what happens tonight.

What do you consider a "price gouge"?JMO but I think Price gets $20mill+ for 5-7 years easily.:..........

Edited by classicrawker

What do you consider a "price gouge"?JMO but I think Price gets $20mill+ for 5-7 years easily.:..........

If u were a GM would you give Grienke 25m for six years or Price 20m for six?

If I had to pick one it would be Greinke but Price will get his money

Yeah, I think Price and Greinke will both get paid, but I think Price goes in the Lester camp of "will get tons of money but slightly overrated." Lester was going to get the money that he got from the Cubs no matter what, in all likelihood, but I think he did play the Cubs and Sox off each other to drive the number up. I think Maddon has enough history with Price that he might be able to step in and say "we'll pay you slightly less but get you a ring" and catch his eye, while Greinke can run folks off each other for a week or two and add some extra millions on. The Cubs have money to play with, but don't know if we want to play that game a second year in a row.

Yeah, I think Price and Greinke will both get paid, but I think Price goes in the Lester camp of "will get tons of money but slightly overrated." Lester was going to get the money that he got from the Cubs no matter what, in all likelihood, but I think he did play the Cubs and Sox off each other to drive the number up. I think Maddon has enough history with Price that he might be able to step in and say "we'll pay you slightly less but get you a ring" and catch his eye, while Greinke can run folks off each other for a week or two and add some extra millions on. The Cubs have money to play with, but don't know if we want to play that game a second year in a row.

Again JMO but I think Price get close to $25 mill a year so he won't come cheap. I think he will have plenty of suitors so don't think the Cubbies get any discounts. That being said the Cubbies can afford it but as Apollo said they will have to pay Arrietta big money so do you want three pitchers eating up half your payroll?

Again JMO but I think Price get close to $25 mill a year so he won't come cheap. I think he will have plenty of suitors so don't think the Cubbies get any discounts. That being said the Cubbies can afford it but as Apollo said they will have to pay Arrietta big money so do you want three pitchers eating up half your payroll?

Tough call. On the one hand, it's a ton of money. On the other hand, Rickets can afford it, and if we aren't gonna throw those dollars around, why bother adding jumbotrons to Wrigley Field, knocking down the bleachers, and rebuilding the entire concourse level of the park? We're doing all this work to bring in more cash, maybe it's not worth hoarding it right now.

Anyway, I know the plan before this year was to throw serious cash around this offseason. That might have changed now that the team as it is has contended for a pennant (or more pending the next two weeks). I don't think Price would take a serious discount, but I think Maddon might be able to convince him to take 20 or 22 instead of a full 25. Probably not, just a remote possibility.

And yeah, the amount of money that we'll have to give Arrieta is gonna be absolutely nuts. Just trying not to think about that right now.

Tough call. On the one hand, it's a ton of money. On the other hand, Rickets can afford it, and if we aren't gonna throw those dollars around, why bother adding jumbotrons to Wrigley Field, knocking down the bleachers, and rebuilding the entire concourse level of the park? We're doing all this work to bring in more cash, maybe it's not worth hoarding it right now.

Anyway, I know the plan before this year was to throw serious cash around this offseason. That might have changed now that the team as it is has contended for a pennant (or more pending the next two weeks). I don't think Price would take a serious discount, but I think Maddon might be able to convince him to take 20 or 22 instead of a full 25. Probably not, just a remote possibility.

And yeah, the amount of money that we'll have to give Arrieta is gonna be absolutely nuts. Just trying not to think about that right now.

You guys can afford it and I would spend the $$$ if I was Epstein as this is your chance to win a few WS.

I'm feeling great having the two-game lead going into game 3, especially with DeGrom pitching tomorrow night. But I am certainly not counting my eggs before they hatch. It's going to be tough in the not-so-friendly confines. Cubs fans at Wrigley are going to give them a huge boost, too. It's going to be a nail-biting next few days.

Finally I have the night off tonight and it's a National League travel day. Oh well. Will be watching the game in Toronto to get an idea of the competition that the National League representative will face.

Axlslash, you're a trooper. I promise I am not reveling in the Cubs losing, only in the Mets winning. I'd choose any other team to be our opponents right now if I could, both because of the level of competition the Cubs give, and because if the Mets do win, I still feel bad about how long Cubs fans have been waiting. I do feel your pain. I've never seen the Mets win a World Series, either. I have seen them win a pennant when I was 12, but then they lost to the Yankees in the World Series which stung. I get what it's like to be a long-suffering faithful fan.

• Like 1

I'm feeling great having the two-game lead going into game 3, especially with DeGrom pitching tomorrow night. But I am certainly not counting my eggs before they hatch. It's going to be tough in the not-so-friendly confines. Cubs fans at Wrigley are going to give them a huge boost, too. It's going to be a nail-biting next few days.

Finally I have the night off tonight and it's a National League travel day. Oh well. Will be watching the game in Toronto to get an idea of the competition that the National League representative will face.

Axlslash, you're a trooper. I promise I am not reveling in the Cubs losing, only in the Mets winning. I'd choose any other team to be our opponents right now if I could, both because of the level of competition the Cubs give, and because if the Mets do win, I still feel bad about how long Cubs fans have been waiting. I do feel your pain. I've never seen the Mets win a World Series, either. I have seen them win a pennant when I was 12, but then they lost to the Yankees in the World Series which stung. I get what it's like to be a long-suffering faithful fan.

I don't think MLB could have written up a better Final Four for the long-suffering faithful storyline. The most recent WC championship of the bunch is 1993. Some tortured fanbase is going to explode in 2 weeks' time. The other three, on the other hand... Well, I'm just going to keep on hoping that we can pull this one out and let everyone else keep suffering.

Everything this year is gravy, we weren't supposed to be here until next year. Sometimes the breaks go your way, other times Curtis Granderson is there to pull your dreams back over the fence. We'll get there soon, no matter what happens.

• Like 1

Everything this year is gravy, we weren't supposed to be here until next year. Sometimes the breaks go your way, other times Curtis Granderson is there to pull your dreams back over the fence. We'll get there soon, no matter what happens.

Therein lies the fundamental difference between a Mets fan and Cubs fan. Cubs fans are ever the optimists, with a sense of humor when things are going poorly as they almost always are. Mets fans are pessimists, even when things are going well, always believing that the bottom will drop out at any moment. :lol:

• Like 1

Therein lies the fundamental difference between a Mets fan and Cubs fan. Cubs fans are ever the optimists, with a sense of humor when things are going poorly as they almost always are. Mets fans are pessimists, even when things are going well, always believing that the bottom will drop out at any moment. :lol:

It's not that we're optimists - it's that we're pessimists and we're always right! :D

Last week, sitting at the park and watching the Cubs come back from every single beatdown the Cards could give them, I couldn't escape the "Team of Destiny" feeling that they had. First two batters score and it's 2-0 early? Fuck that, Javy Baez will make it 4-2. Two on and two out with a big base hit to give you the lead? Hell no, Soler is throwing out the go-ahead run and Rizzo is putting us back in front, then Schwarber is putting a ball on the goddamn scoreboard just for good measure. Tuesday night, the Cubs felt unbeatable. But, as a Cub fan, you keep thinking "how are they gonna fuck this up?" So when they inevitably fuck this up, it's not so much sad as "oh, that's how." Honestly, starting like this is better than 2003. I cried when Game 6 ended in '03, because it really felt like it was gonna happen. At least this way, I can spend the rest of this series feeling like it's an outside shot that we move on, and the euphoria will be even better if we do.

So yeah, the humor isn't because we're optimists. It's because our pessimism has been right too many times not to laugh. New York just doesn't know how to laugh at itself is all ;)

Looks like the Jays bats finally woke up. Felt as though the commentators were completely overestimating Cueto because of his last start against the Astros. The guy pitches one great game and all of sudden he's unbeatable; as if no one remembered all the shaky starts he had prior to the last ALDS game.

Assuming the Jays hang on to win tonight's game, I feel confident the Jays even the series tomorrow with Dickey going against Young. Dickey has been almost perfect the second half of the season. My hope is that the series goes seven games regardless of who wins.

Looks like the Jays bats finally woke up. Felt as though the commentators were completely overestimating Cueto because of his last start against the Astros. The guy pitches one great game and all of sudden he's unbeatable; as if no one remembered all the shaky starts he had prior to the last ALDS game.

Assuming the Jays hang on to win tonight's game, I feel confident the Jays even the series tomorrow with Dickey going against Young. Dickey has been almost perfect the second half of the season. My hope is that the series goes seven games regardless of who wins.

Arrieta was near perfect in the 2nd half too. Don't count your chickens...

Arrieta was near perfect in the 2nd half too. Don't count your chickens...

That's true, but Dickey hasn't been the Jays ace since Price arrived and he's been less than stella. So something has to even out.

But yeah, who really knows. Young could pitch the game of his life tomorrow for all I know.

95% sure I'm going to be able to join the rest of the world tonight and actually watch the Mets-Cubs game live instead of the day after. Pretty pumped. It's a deGrom night!

Axlslash, you making it out to any of the NLCS games? By the way, I'm majorly jealous of you attending the NLDS. It's a bucket list item for me to go to a Mets postseason game in New York. I can only imagine what it's like to be part of a crowd like that...

95% sure I'm going to be able to join the rest of the world tonight and actually watch the Mets-Cubs game live instead of the day after. Pretty pumped. It's a deGrom night!

Axlslash, you making it out to any of the NLCS games? By the way, I'm majorly jealous of you attending the NLDS. It's a bucket list item for me to go to a Mets postseason game in New York. I can only imagine what it's like to be part of a crowd like that...

Not as of now. I have some connections that came up with the NLDS tickets and don't know how likely NLCS tickets are to pop up. Thursday is the only game that potentially works for me anyway. Fingers crossed.

Until last week, the Cubs had never clinched a playoff series at Wrigley. To see them clinch for the first time, at Wrigley, against the Cards of all teams? That was beyond bucket list worthy. And honestly, as much as I'd love to get to an NLCS game for the sake of being at one? I have no qualms if that's the end of the season for me. Hell, if I never go to a baseball game again (God forbid), that was a damned fine way to go out.

The game has started in Toronto. Someone might want to tell the Bluebirds, though. A blink-and-you-missed-it Royals 1st and it's 4-0 visitors. It's beginning to look a bit like a repeat pennant in KC... Still lots of game today and this would only be 3-1, but hard to feel optimistic about the Jays' chances right now.

Really thought Dickey was going to have a good game today. At least Hendricks has come in and shut the Royals down. Not looking like the Jays day, but with the Jays only three down and going into the bottom of the fifth, it's not unimaginable to see the Jays come back.