Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Also, I hate to be this kind of guy, but I'll be rooting against the Cubs throughout their duration of the postseason. I have nothing against the Cubs. I feel very much indifferent to them actually, but I just feel like baseball needs to have a perennial loser :lol: We used to have the Red Sox and the White Sox for that as well, but no more, so I feel like the Cubs need to keep up the task of always losing. It's tradition and lore.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

What movie is that from?

Back to the Future 2. Maybe it's that I'm in Chicago, but this has been a big talking point. The Marlins became the Miami Marlins, and people were hoping it'd be them instead of Houston going to the AL a couple years ago so that the Cubs could beat them in the WS.

Also, I hate to be this kind of guy, but I'll be rooting against the Cubs throughout their duration of the postseason. I have nothing against the Cubs. I feel very much indifferent to them actually, but I just feel like baseball needs t have a perennial loser :lol: We used to have the Red Sox and the White Sox for that as well, but no more, so I feel like the Cubs need to keep up the task of always losing. It's tradition and lore.

Let the Indians have a turn (been since the 20s if I'm not mistaken). TV ratings for a Cubs World Series will be HUGE for baseball.

I understand the crowd's frustration, but that's the right call. Odor's foot was off the bag for sure, but no indisputable video evidence to overturn. Hurts, but the right call. Up to the Jays' bats now. If they lose this game... Holy shit.

I'll go back to my point I made last week - the Jays don't deserve to win this series the way they mailed it in at the end of the season. You don't celebrate like you won the World Series when you win a division title.

• Like 1

I understand the crowd's frustration, but that's the right call. Odor's foot was off the bag for sure, but no indisputable video evidence to overturn. Hurts, but the right call. Up to the Jays' bats now. If they lose this game... Holy shit.

I'll go back to my point I made last week - the Jays don't deserve to win this series the way they mailed it in at the end of the season. You don't celebrate like you won the World Series when you win a division title.

And you're not wrong. But how heartbreaking is it to see a game end this way, a razor-close call to let those runs in, Tulo going down on a pitch way off the plate (though TBH that's close enough that with 2 strikes, you can't look at that pitch, you gotta swing). That look on Donaldson's face in the dugout at the end says it all. Absolutely stunning.

I just hope the Jays win game 3 - if either the Stros or the Jays series end before Monday, I'll be at work and won't be able to watch Monday's Cubs' game :/

And you're not wrong. But how heartbreaking is it to see a game end this way, a razor-close call to let those runs in, Tulo going down on a pitch way off the plate (though TBH that's close enough that with 2 strikes, you can't look at that pitch, you gotta swing). That look on Donaldson's face in the dugout at the end says it all. Absolutely stunning.

I just hope the Jays win game 3 - if either the Stros or the Jays series end before Monday, I'll be at work and won't be able to watch Monday's Cubs' game :/

I like the Jays chances to win game 3 with Estrada starting. But unless the Jays want to go with Price again on three days rest (good thing he got 11 days rest prior to yesterday's start - another insane decision), Dickey has proven not to be effective on the road should the Jays force a game four.

Jays had their chances - Bautista, EE, and Donaldson were all a whisker away from sealing it with monster home runs. Just not meant to be.

Looking forward to the Cards - Cubs game tonight. I'll be rooting for the Cubs or Dodgers should the Jays get knocked out. As a rule, regardless of who they're playing, I always cheer against any team from the state of Texas.

Also, I hate to be this kind of guy, but I'll be rooting against the Cubs throughout their duration of the postseason. I have nothing against the Cubs. I feel very much indifferent to them actually, but I just feel like baseball needs to have a perennial loser :lol: We used to have the Red Sox and the White Sox for that as well, but no more, so I feel like the Cubs need to keep up the task of always losing. It's tradition and lore.

I heard today that the avg ticket price for the Cubs home playoff games is $440. So for me and my wife to take our three kids we would have to drop $2.200 just for tickets? Crazy.

I heard today that the avg ticket price for the Cubs home playoff games is $440. So for me and my wife to take our three kids we would have to drop $2.200 just for tickets? Crazy.
That makes sense as an average. I expect you can get "bad seats" for $150 or $200 a ticket, which isn't so bad when you consider that it's a 40k seat stadium housing a team that hasn't made the playoffs more than 6 or 7 times in the last 70 years. In any event, yeah tickets are craY expensive and will only get worse as the postseason plays out. I expect that WS tickets would end up running damn near 4 digits per seat even in the worst seats. It's gonna be exciting to see what happens in any event.

I like the Jays chances to win game 3 with Estrada starting. But unless the Jays want to go with Price again on three days rest (good thing he got 11 days rest prior to yesterday's start - another insane decision), Dickey has proven not to be effective on the road should the Jays force a game four.

Jays had their chances - Bautista, EE, and Donaldson were all a whisker away from sealing it with monster home runs. Just not meant to be.

Looking forward to the Cards - Cubs game tonight. I'll be rooting for the Cubs or Dodgers should the Jays get knocked out. As a rule, regardless of who they're playing, I always cheer against any team from the state of Texas.

Price is 1-6 with an era close to 5 in the playoffs. Don't know if I would start him again on short rest. I saw an interview with him after the game and he talked about being nervous for his start. He looked like a beaten man. With his post season record I wonder if it cost him some money in FA.

This umpire in the Dodgers Mets game is horrible.

In two innings he has called five pitches that are eight inches out of the zone. How does a guy like this get chosen to do a playoff game?

It seemed to be bad all around. I thought the Jays were getting getting the short end of the stick with respect to balls and strikes, then I watched the Cards-Cubs game. The home plate ump was giving Lackey pretty much everything.

Only supports my support to have the computer decide whether a pitch is a strike or ball and have the home plate ump call it out. With new technology, like Microsoft's Hololens, the ump could wear something that tells him in real time whether a pitch is a strike or a ball. It would guarantee a consistent strike zone. It just kills the game for me when an ump has no idea what the strike zone should be.

Yeah there were some bad calls but I don't think it really effected the outcome of the game thankfully. I know that's easy for me to say, rooting for the Mets and all but when it comes to how the game is being called, I do look at it pretty objectively I believe.

Anyway, HUGE win for the Mets, and thank God. I was really nervous about that one. Would have commented earlier but I'm stuck working a later shift and so I have to watch the game the next morning/afternoon. It's very hard keeping myself in the dark about the outcome of the game, let me tell you!

Cubs with a tremendous road win today. Back to Wrigley with Arrieta on the mound Monday. I would say 65-35 odds on whoever wins Monday's game to move on to the NLCS, and Arrieta is in beast mode. I have gone from being pretty sure we'd lose to the Cards to "holy shit we might pull this off."

Yeah there were some bad calls but I don't think it really effected the outcome of the game thankfully. I know that's easy for me to say, rooting for the Mets and all but when it comes to how the game is being called, I do look at it pretty objectively I believe.

I'll disagree with your assertion that it doesn't affect the game, at least the Jays - Texas game. Stroman threw a cutter that, in my opinion and according to the pitch tracker, caught the plate and should have been called the third strike on DeShields to lead off the 8th. Instead it was called a ball and DeShields was given first base. Cecil gets the next two batters out, but DeShields moves to third, and Napoli hits a clutch single to tie the game. Considering how Osuna pitched the 9th, the game should have been over with the Jays evening up the series.

I'll disagree with your assertion that it doesn't affect the game, at least the Jays - Texas game. Stroman threw a cutter that, in my opinion and according to the pitch tracker, caught the plate and should have been called the third strike on DeShields to lead off the 8th. Instead it was called a ball and DeShields was given first base. Cecil gets the next two batters out, but DeShields moves to third, and Napoli hits a clutch single to tie the game. Considering how Osuna pitched the 9th, the game should have been over with the Jays evening up the series.

I didn't say it doesn't, I said it didn't affect the game, in that instance.

Unlike yesterday's Mets game, which either umpiring or Major League Baseball in general -- I don't know with whom my anger lies -- completely fucked up beyond all recognition. I am so furious (insofar as one can be with a baseball game). Look, I have little trouble with what Chase Utley did, although he should have at least feigned reaching for second base, but the complete and utter bullshit call that he was safe at second just makes me so mad and completely changed the course of the game. It is completely reasonable to think that maybe the Dodgers would have won the game anyway, but there is no way to ever tell. That inning should have ended with the game tied. None of that subsequent scoring would have happened, had Baseball not made up some bullshit as they went along. I don't care about the crap explanation they gave. You can't call a runner safe who never touched a base! I accept that Tejada also didn't touch the base. But in that situation, you have to go with the ruling on the field. Otherwise it is the officiators affecting the outcome of the game, which happened.

And on top of all that we lose our best shortstop (though I do love Wilmer) with a fractured tibula or something. Fuck!

Me in the bottom of the seventh.

inside_out_anger.jpeg?itok=G3E11y-g

I didn't say it doesn't, I said it didn't affect the game, in that instance.

Unlike yesterday's Mets game, which either umpiring or Major League Baseball in general -- I don't know with whom my anger lies -- completely fucked up beyond all recognition. I am so furious (insofar as one can be with a baseball game). Look, I have little trouble with what Chase Utley did, although he should have at least feigned reaching for second base, but the complete and utter bullshit call that he was safe at second just makes me so mad and completely changed the course of the game. It is completely reasonable to think that maybe the Dodgers would have won the game anyway, but there is no way to ever tell. That inning should have ended with the game tied. None of that subsequent scoring would have happened, had Baseball not made up some bullshit as they went along. I don't care about the crap explanation they gave. You can't call a runner safe who never touched a base! I accept that Tejada also didn't touch the base. But in that situation, you have to go with the ruling on the field. Otherwise it is the officiators affecting the outcome of the game, which happened.

And on top of all that we lose our best shortstop (though I do love Wilmer) with a fractured tibula or something. Fuck!

Me in the bottom of the seventh.

inside_out_anger.jpeg?itok=G3E11y-g

But the umpire called him out. That's why he didn't go touch the bag.