Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

The question I would have is would you really want to invest $25 mill a season in a long term deal for Price? Great regular season pitcher but he has been a bust in the post season. Don't know if I would invest that kind of $$$ in someone who is not a stopper in the post season

could point but going to the NL would definitely help plus having lester and arrieta ahead of him in the rotation would take the pressure off him. I would have no problem giving price the ball as a 3rd starter in a series.

the nationals fucking up the bud black situation land dusty baker as manager.

The Cubs are already favored to win the Series next year. They are loaded for sure. But you never really know. At one point Mark Prior and Kerry Wood looked bound for the Hall of Fame.

Dusty Baker....interesting choice. Three manager of the year awards. But twenty years and never won a World Series. And famous for ruining pitchers arms.

The question I would have is would you really want to invest $25 mill a season in a long term deal for Price? Great regular season pitcher but he has been a bust in the post season. Don't know if I would invest that kind of $$$ in someone who is not a stopper in the post season

You've got to figure that once he finally notches a post-season win as a starter he'll start producing on a more consistent basis.

Hell, had Napoli not bitched out on the run-down play and injured Cecil, it's conceivable Price wins game two of the ALCS. Price was sailing through six, which would have been long enough to bring Cecil in for the 7th, Sanchez for the 8th, and Osuna for the 9th. With Cecil gone, they were forced to use Price for another inning. Speculation for sure, but I truly believe that game would have ended differently had the Jays still had Cecil in the pen.

Jays pick up club options for Dickey, Bautista, and Encarnacion.

Rumours are that they'll try to trade Tulo as they have a lot of depth up the middle currently. Not sure how they'll get someone to take Tulo's contract.

With AA gone from the front office and Shapiro running things, it's a foregone conclusion that they're not even going to attempt to resign Price. It was a long shot anyway, but having Shapiro run player-personnel until, or if, they hire a proper GM means no big signings in the off seasons. Jays have a lot of money coming off the books with Romero and Buehrle contracts wrapping up this year. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll reinvest it back into the ball club.

I think if the Jays can shore up the bullpen and resign Estrada they should be competitive next year. It was a lot of fun finally watching some meaningful baseball come September in Toronto and the city truly went crazy in a way that I don't think I've ever seen before. It would be great to see the Jays contend again next year but I'm prepared for a return to mediocrity considering the owners prioritizing making money over winning.

Just looked at Tulo's contract and he will be getting a base of $20 Mill next 4 years then it drops to $14 mill in 2020 and a club option the year after at $15 mill when he will 37 yrs old. Great player, when healthy, but unless the Jays are willing to eat some significant money that will be a tough contract to move I think.

If the Jays didn't have two great defensive players up the middle already (Goins and Travis), I'd say keep him. But the Jays don't need Tulo's offence (though, not as though we saw a lot of it August through September) and shipping his contract could clear up some money for areas the Jays need improvement.

In terms of the probability of shipping Tulo's contract, who knows. No one thought the Jays could move Vernon Wells with his ridiculous contract but AA found a sucker in Anaheim. Tulo, when healthy, is worth the money and perhaps a team like the Mets (should they fail to sign Cespades) or the Dodgers (who could definitely use an offensive short-stop and no shortage of money) could be takers. Just a matter of whether a GM wants to gamble of Tulo's health over the next five years.

You've got to figure that once he finally notches a post-season win as a starter he'll start producing on a more consistent basis.

Hell, had Napoli not bitched out on the run-down play and injured Cecil, it's conceivable Price wins game two of the ALCS. Price was sailing through six, which would have been long enough to bring Cecil in for the 7th, Sanchez for the 8th, and Osuna for the 9th. With Cecil gone, they were forced to use Price for another inning. Speculation for sure, but I truly believe that game would have ended differently had the Jays still had Cecil in the pen.

He has not proven to be able to succeed in the post season so far, 8 series 63 inninngs, 5.12 ERA and 11 hr's, so if you were GM would you give him Ace money? Not sure I would pay him 25 mill for 6-7 years hoping he can be my ace in the post season and hoping he comes around. Now if I was the Cubbies who already have an ace and a #2 in Lester it might be worth the risk to slot him in as a #3 IMHO if they can grab a ring or two. :shrugs:

Jays pick up club options for Dickey, Bautista, and Encarnacion.

Rumours are that they'll try to trade Tulo as they have a lot of depth up the middle currently. Not sure how they'll get someone to take Tulo's contract.

With AA gone from the front office and Shapiro running things, it's a foregone conclusion that they're not even going to attempt to resign Price. It was a long shot anyway, but having Shapiro run player-personnel until, or if, they hire a proper GM means no big signings in the off seasons. Jays have a lot of money coming off the books with Romero and Buehrle contracts wrapping up this year. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll reinvest it back into the ball club.

I think if the Jays can shore up the bullpen and resign Estrada they should be competitive next year. It was a lot of fun finally watching some meaningful baseball come September in Toronto and the city truly went crazy in a way that I don't think I've ever seen before. It would be great to see the Jays contend again next year but I'm prepared for a return to mediocrity considering the owners prioritizing making money over winning.

Just looked at Tulo's contract and he will be getting a base of $20 Mill next 4 years then it drops to $14 mill in 2020 and a club option the year after at $15 mill when he will 37 yrs old. Great player, when healthy, but unless the Jays are willing to eat some significant money that will be a tough contract to move I think.

If the Jays didn't have two great defensive players up the middle already (Goins and Travis), I'd say keep him. But the Jays don't need Tulo's offence (though, not as though we saw a lot of it August through September) and shipping his contract could clear up some money for areas the Jays need improvement.

In terms of the probability of shipping Tulo's contract, who knows. No one thought the Jays could move Vernon Wells with his ridiculous contract but AA found a sucker in Anaheim. Tulo, when healthy, is worth the money and perhaps a team like the Mets (should they fail to sign Cespades) or the Dodgers (who could definitely use an offensive short-stop and no shortage of money) could be takers. Just a matter of whether a GM wants to gamble of Tulo's health over the next five years.

Tulo is an Allstar no doubt but with his injury history and his contract I would be amazed they found someone to take on close to 100 Mill for the next 5 season without kicking in a good chunk of money. Then again there is always the Dodgers......once you break 300 mill in salary what's another 20mill...... :lol:

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

I just gotta say my baseball withdrawal symptoms are starting to hit really fucking hard now. The first two weeks after the final game of the World Series really suck.

Check out the Arizona fall league as the teams are stocked with the best prospects. Also recommend a subscription to Scout.com online and/or Baseball America newspaper as that gets me through the winter

Edited by classicrawker

If the Cubs sign Price they'll have well north of $300 million in two members of their starting rotation. For that reason I'm not seeing it as likely. I still think the odds of favourites are the Giants, Dodgers, or maybe Boston if Greinke doesn't jump ship to B-town.

If the Cubs sign Price they'll have well north of $300 million in two members of their starting rotation. For that reason I'm not seeing it as likely. I still think the odds of favourites are the Giants, Dodgers, or maybe Boston if Greinke doesn't jump ship to B-town.

With his anxiety condition history there is speculation that Greinke would not be a good fit for cities with a hostile press like Boston or New York....

With his anxiety condition history there is speculation that Greinke would not be a good fit for cities with a hostile press like Boston or New York....

Yeah, good point. Plus with Kershaw as the team's ace, there's less pressure on Greinke to carry the team. Even if you're a star ball player in LA you can still relatively fly under the radar with Hollywood right there. Boston and New York, not so much. It amazes me how players for the Red Sox and Yankees are able to achieve despite the insane amount of attention they get. It's how Leafs fans here in Toronto explain away why the team has been terrible for over a decade.

Tommy Hanson (the former Braves pitcher) is in a coma. I read somewhere that his organs are shutting down.

Edit: Apparently it's not looking good, either. He's either passed or is about to.

Edit 2: Q3O5PL6.png

Some guy on reddit is saying that it's an OD, and also claims the guy saying it wasn't on twitter (who was with Hanson when it happened) is actually the dealer. What a fucked up situation.

Edit 3:

RIP. Very sad ending to a once-promising pitcher.

Edited by Crazyman

He was 29 and a MLB flame-out. Pro athletes, especially in non-contact sports, don't die of natural causes at that age. Odds are depressed at how his career ended, self-medicated, and it ended like this... What an awful story. Hope he has finally found comfort and rest in death, and all thoughts and prayers to his family.

3 weeks after watching my team collapse in the NLCS, this puts it all in perspective. Sports are wonderful, win or lose, and in the end, they are just games.

Jose Reyes was arrested tonight for beating the shit out of his wife.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/56418ac1e4b0307f2caecfd3

Edit: strike that, the arrest was Oct 31, but the story is just breaking. Still, shit.

Damn. I didn't know he was such a piece of shit. I used to like him. No more!

Yeah, based on his on-field and clubhouse demeanour, you'd never expect to hear reports for a guy like that. Shame. Even happier that the Jays traded him away for Tulo. He's now someone else's problem.

Apparently mlb has a new domestic-abuse provision that they can now reprimand a player were they to be found guilty (or maybe they only need to be charged, I'm not quite sure) of domestic abuse. Reyes might be the first recipient of such a reprimand under the new rules.

Reyes sat out the final game of the 2011 season so he could win the batting title. That says it all.

Actually he didn't. He bunted for a base hit and then sat :lol: And so what? It was a meaningless game at the end of a losing season.

Meaningless to the fans who paid good money to see him play?

You are one of the true baseball guys on here. I'm surprised you wouldn't be a little disgusted by that scenario.

Do you want a player on your team who wants to sit out so he can back into a batting title? That says a lot about the character of somebody. He isn't a true champion type of guy. You don't build a championship team around a guy like that.

Look at what Ted Williams did in a similar scenario. Last day of the season. Williams was batting .3996. Double header. If he sat out his average would end up at .400.

"If I can't hit 400 all the way, I don't deserve it."

He then went 6-for-8 with a HR and finished at at 406.

The last player to hit 400.

It's just a different mindset.

The Royals won the Series because they don't have guys like Reyes on their team.

Just my personal opinion tho.

CF Aaron Hicks to the Yankees for catcher John Ryan (don't call me J.R.) Murphy. From what I read Hicks has a lot of upside and is only 26 yrs. old......I think this means Gardner

is a goner this offseason as he has a very reasonable contract for 3 more years and can play CF so he has some good trade value.

Since Beltran has one more year, Ellsbury's contract is basically untradeable and the Yankees have a surplus of young outfielders in Hicks, Heathcott, WIlliams and possibly Judge next year I think they trade Gardner this offseason while he has max value.

Can see them trading him for another stud RP or possibly another young SP with upside like Eovaldi last year.

Hated to see Murphy go as he is a very good catcher who can hit a little and is only 24 yrs old. The Yanks have a good young catcher, who finally seems to be maturing, in Gary Sanchez, only 23 yrs old, who is tearing up the Arizona Fall league so they can plug him in behind McCann and let him learn as his understudy. Twins got themselves a good young catcher and if Hicks develops it is a win-win for both teams.............

Edited by classicrawker