Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Papi set to retire after next season. I wonder if he's expecting similar treatment Jeter and Mariano got.

JMO, but he was a juicer so he doesn't deserve the same honors..........

Not to mention spending too much time as a DH for me, personally, to take him as seriously as someone like Jeter. Maybe as seriously as Mariano, but then like you said Ortiz was a juicer.

Though the Jays aren't likely to land Price, I'm glad they wrapped up Estrada for two years. He was their best starting pitcher in the post-season and was arguably their most reliable starter throughout the season. Also nice to see a guy grind it out for as many years as Estrada has to finally earn himself a big pay day. $26 million for two years is going to set him up for life so long as he's smart about his money. With most contracts now in the 5-7 years, it's kind of strange to hear about a two year deal for a player who just had his best season in his career.

david price to red sox 7yr/217 million dollars, price highest paid player in baseball history.

$31 million a year for seven years. That's nuts. Well, it was fun having him play for the Jays, but that's crazy money. After the Jays resigned Estrada and signed Happ, I figured there was little chance they were going to make a play for Price. Congrats to him, though I hope he tanks in Boston :P

david price to red sox 7yr/217 million dollars, price highest paid player in baseball history.

$31 million a year for seven years. That's nuts. Well, it was fun having him play for the Jays, but that's crazy money. After the Jays resigned Estrada and signed Happ, I figured there was little chance they were going to make a play for Price. Congrats to him, though I hope he tanks in Boston :P

Crazy money for any pitcher but definitely crazy money for a power pitcher who just turned 30.............Does not surprise me as Dombrowski has never been shy to spend money or trade prospects when he was given the resources.........Between over paying with prospects in the Kimbrel trade and this signing looks like Harrington is rolling the dice to try to win another WS..............But if I was a Sox fan I would be pretty excited for the coming season

Good article that sums things up pretty well

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/66725/red-sox-sign-david-price-but-overpay-to-get-their-ace-starter

Edited by classicrawker

Price got PAID. Unbelievably high numbers for such a long contract given his age. Reports are that Greinke is down to the Dodgers and the Giants, and that he'll make a decision as early as this week.

Not sure where this leaves my Cubbies. Looks like we'll have to settle for Samardzija, maybe pick up lackey too. Hopefully we can add a big bat and make some moneyball moves to solidify the pen. Definitely still feel good about where we are, but a big name pitcher is now only happening by trade...

His post season career is not a fluke like Kershaw's numbers. Price is like 0-7 with an ERA in the mid-5's.

An ace, making 30 million a year needs to be able to win playoff games. Price isn't that guy.

I wonder how much this deal raises the cost for Grienke?

You would think they would have learned from last year when they went all in with Pablo and Hanley. And then watching the Royals make back to back World Series without a bunch of 20 million dollar players.

Aces don't just fall into your lap. You either develop them, empty your prospect cache in a trade or overpay the market value to get one. Price's numbers are great at Fenway and I think the post season numbers can stabilize. His overall career numbers tell a much more complete story than a 14 game sample size.

Plus I buy the "mentor to the young guys" narrative a bit. It's an overpay but Dombrowski has the "win now" green light.

Edited by bt88

Price got PAID. Unbelievably high numbers for such a long contract given his age. Reports are that Greinke is down to the Dodgers and the Giants, and that he'll make a decision as early as this week.

Not sure where this leaves my Cubbies. Looks like we'll have to settle for Samardzija, maybe pick up lackey too. Hopefully we can add a big bat and make some moneyball moves to solidify the pen. Definitely still feel good about where we are, but a big name pitcher is now only happening by trade...

If you could get Lackey to take 2 years at reasonable money I would jump on him as he is a bulldog and is still pitching well.

If you could get Lackey to take 2 years at reasonable money I would jump on him as he is a bulldog and is still pitching well.
MLB Trade Rumors picked us to land Lackey a month or so ago, and I feel like that's still likely. I've never loved Samardzija, but it looks like he may come home too. Just hope we make a run at either Gordon or Heyward now that we've saved those Price dollars.

the red sox just have to hope he doesn't go full on sabathia within those 3 years since they would then be stuck with that 7 year contract.

• Like 1

the red sox just have to hope he doesn't go full on sabathia within those 3 years since they would then be stuck with that 7 year contract.

I guess if he helps them win a couple of WS then the contract is worth it.....listening to Boston Sports radio this morning and it is funny how they are suddenly making the rest of the Sox starting rotation out to be something special...It is still basically the same starting staff that struggled last year except now they have Price....

I still remember how all the "experts" last year were basically penciling the Sox into the WS with all of their offseason moves. Adding Price and Kimbrel can't hurt but let's see how they handle Boston before we hand the Sox the trophy..........

Edited by classicrawker

Keep in mind Boston was a different team the last third of the season. They played respectfully well. I'd still like to think they'll be terrible, but the momentum from the end of season might carry over. There's a lot of talent on that team; it will be interesting to see if they can live up to it.

I still think the Jays will remain competitive and have a good shot of repeating as division champs. They grossly underperformed through the first half the season when you look at their run differential. Adding more reliable arms in the bullpen this offseason would likely offset any gains had the team signed Price.

If you look at the splits for Sox starting pitchers, like Miley and Porcello, they were not appreciatively better the second half of the season and in some cases worse so while Price should give them an ace at the top of the rotation the rest of the staff is far from certain. Even EduardoRodriquez's numbers were worse the second half of the season.

On offense they have some real talent but how much they improve is going to depend on an improvement in the back end SP's and the bullpen which are far from settled.

Don't get me wrong the Yankees are in the same boat as their season will hinge on how their SP's perform IMHO

i think boston will be better no doubt but how much better? their rotation is improved with price but there is still a ton of question marks. buchholz is never healthy, porcello seems like the porcello that was in detroit, miley was pretty bad and rodriguez was pretty good but he is young so no doubt they will limit his innings. offense is another question mark, jbj had a good august(iirc) but he fell back to around .210 in september.

MLB Trade Rumors picked us to land Lackey a month or so ago, and I feel like that's still likely. I've never loved Samardzija, but it looks like he may come home too. Just hope we make a run at either Gordon or Heyward now that we've saved those Price dollars.

You got your man and only had to commit for 2 years nice pickup for the Cubbies....