Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Castro for Adam Warren and a player to be named. Quality back-of-the-cycle arm and frees up cash to land Heyward. I'll miss Castro, but the last 2hrs have immeasurably improved the team, and it's only going to get better.

Love getting Castro but hate losing Warren. You got a very good pitcher my friend who hopefully will finally get a chance to start on a regular basis and show his stuff. IMHO he can be a middle of the rotation guy if given a chance.

Looks like Refsnyder becomes trade bait for a young pitcher......

Edited by classicrawker

Lol. Nobody is arguing with you guys. Everybody and their brother understands why the Cubs made the move.

That's just not how I would run an organization. I'm a players and fans guy.

You boys agree with the management/owners

and that's OK.

It's OK for people to have different opinions.

I would never not put my best team on the field for what potentially might happen six years down the road. My loyalty is to my players and the fans paying to see the game.

You guys agree that it is better to not put your best product on the field and hold a player down - for future contract reasons.

Axlsash - Let me ask you this. Say Bryant averages 30 homers, 110 RBI and hits 300 for the next five years. Come new contract time he says "remember when you screwed me so you could get me for one more year? Why would I want to stay with you any longer than I have to now?" And he doesn't even consider you guys and goes to New York for his next deal.

Would that one extra year be worth losing seven years of his career?

*****^^

Arizona got Miller as well. They've really upgraded their rotation.

The two deals make sense for both the Yankees and Cubs.

Cubs get a solid veteran to go along with all their young talent.

Yankees get a pretty young above average infielder. Cubs add a solid pitcher.

Seems like pretty good moves today by everybody.

I don't agree with the owners. I'm a cynic.And frankly, the Cubs move had everything to do with inability to resign KB at the end of this deal. He's a Boras guy. I know you're a baseball guy, so I don't have to list the who's-who of A-list hometown heroes who said "I want to play my whole career here" and bolted in free agency under Scotty B's guidance. THAT is why the Cubs did what they did. They were, effectively, conceding that they are quite likely to lose Bryant after this deal. Theo would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today, as the econ euphemism goes. He would rather have Bryant in the shorter term and pay the price in the longer term. Will suck to see him walk, but I think it was a calculated risk that the team took. Owners in sports are ruthless, heartless, conniving, and think only with their wallets (remember the collusion cases in the late 80s as Free Agency came into being?). These men are absolute incorrigable selfish assholes, and acting in their short-run self interest is only to be expected in this situation. It's not that I agree with them. It's that, realistically, they had no choice.

I know you're a players/fans guy. And that is exactly why you will never be deemed worthy of owning a baseball team. The franchise comes first, the fans second, the employees last. All is in service of the almighty dollar. "Baseball is a kids' game being ruined by adults," or whatever the old saying is.

I love Castro, and I'm gonna miss the hell out of him. But holy hell was today a good day for the Cubs. Zorbist is consistent in ways Castro is not, and can replace Fowler in the leadoff spot; we get him for the same total dollar value but with an extra year relative to Starlin, gain some grinders for the bottom of the rotation or the pen, and open up cash to go after Heyward.

Last year, the Cubs had to overperform to make the playoffs. This year, meeting expectations will be even better than last year's over-the-top. Is it April yet?

I don't agree with the owners. I'm a cynic.And frankly, the Cubs move had everything to do with inability to resign KB at the end of this deal. He's a Boras guy. I know you're a baseball guy, so I don't have to list the who's-who of A-list hometown heroes who said "I want to play my whole career here" and bolted in free agency under Scotty B's guidance. THAT is why the Cubs did what they did. They were, effectively, conceding that they are quite likely to lose Bryant after this deal. Theo would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today, as the econ euphemism goes. He would rather have Bryant in the shorter term and pay the price in the longer term. Will suck to see him walk, but I think it was a calculated risk that the team took. Owners in sports are ruthless, heartless, conniving, and think only with their wallets (remember the collusion cases in the late 80s as Free Agency came into being?). These men are absolute incorrigable selfish assholes, and acting in their short-run self interest is only to be expected in this situation. It's not that I agree with them. It's that, realistically, they had no choice.

I know you're a players/fans guy. And that is exactly why you will never be deemed worthy of owning a baseball team. The franchise comes first, the fans second, the employees last. All is in service of the almighty dollar. "Baseball is a kids' game being ruined by adults," or whatever the old saying is.

I love Castro, and I'm gonna miss the hell out of him. But holy hell was today a good day for the Cubs. Zorbist is consistent in ways Castro is not, and can replace Fowler in the leadoff spot; we get him for the same total dollar value but with an extra year relative to Starlin, gain some grinders for the bottom of the rotation or the pen, and open up cash to go after Heyward.

Last year, the Cubs had to overperform to make the playoffs. This year, meeting expectations will be even better than last year's over-the-top. Is it April yet?

Don't waste your time trying to justify your self to Apollo anymore Axlslash as we both have already explained our positions on the subject and he is just tr0lling us now repeating the owner supporter nonsense as he trying to get a rise out of us...... Weird.........

I think it was a good trade for both team as I think you at really going to love Warren as he is a bulldog on the mound.

If they pan out the Braves got a decent prospect haul for Miller and the Snakes got a very good young pitcher.

When I win the power ball I will buy a minor league team and let you run it for me!

Ya. Last year was amazing for the Cubs. Next year could be pretty special.

• Like 1

Don't waste your time trying to justify your self to Apollo anymore Axlslash as we both have already explained our positions on the subject and he is just tr0lling us now repeating the owner supporter nonsense as he trying to get a rise out of us...... Weird.........

I think it was a good trade for both team as I think you at really going to love Warren as he is a bulldog on the mound.

If they pan out the Braves got a decent prospect haul for Miller and the Snakes got a very good young pitcher.

Lol.

You admitted you came here to t-roll me. I'm an adult, I don't go online to cupcake people. That's what teenagers do.

I'm about to put you in ignore tho.

You agree with management.

Bryant filed a grievance against management.

In your world that means you aren't a management guy. Lol. Ok.

I'm moving on now

Axlsash - enjoying the baseball chat with you.

Lol.

You admitted you came here to t-roll me. I'm an adult, I don't go online to cupcake people. That's what teenagers do.

I'm about to put you in ignore tho.

You agree with management.

Bryant filed a grievance against management.

In your world that means you aren't a management guy. Lol. Ok.

I'm moving on now

Axlsash - enjoying the baseball chat with you.

Your full of shite and a liar Apollo... please feel free to put me on ignore...

Back to baseball the halos are looking at Upton and possibly Hayward.... the Snakes might not be done adding pitchers as they are kicking the tires on Leake.

Been an exciting off season so far with more to come

Edited by classicrawker

Theo said tonight that another FA signing / trade combo ala Zobrist/Castro could well come together. Curious who they'd move. Have to imagine the FA signing would be either Heyward or Gordon. The trade, though? The point of signing one of them is to transition them to center, and a deal wouldn't bring in the type of CF maddon will want, I don't think. I'd much rather keep Soler and Schwarber than break the bank to make a third marquee FA signing. Happy with the approach so far, but not sure I want them to get too crazy.

And one more thing on today's events: I feel really bad for Castro. Just days ago, the team reassured him that he wouldn't be dealt. Theo and Hoyer are masterful at building baseball teams, but they couldn't possibly have a shittier track record with how they treat their employees. They are ruthless, dishonest, and downright mean. When Maddon came up, they fired Rick Renteria, who never did anything but what was asked of him. We've already beaten the time served horse to death. Now Castro. I'm glad to have this product on the field, and can't wait to watch this team play, but this management unit could not possibly be more heartless to the people that do the work on the field and in the dugout. Quite shameful when you take baseball out of the question and just consider them as a business organization.

Theo said tonight that another FA signing / trade combo ala Zobrist/Castro could well come together. Curious who they'd move. Have to imagine the FA signing would be either Heyward or Gordon. The trade, though? The point of signing one of them is to transition them to center, and a deal wouldn't bring in the type of CF maddon will want, I don't think. I'd much rather keep Soler and Schwarber than break the bank to make a third marquee FA signing. Happy with the approach so far, but not sure I want them to get too crazy.

And one more thing on today's events: I feel really bad for Castro. Just days ago, the team reassured him that he wouldn't be dealt. Theo and Hoyer are masterful at building baseball teams, but they couldn't possibly have a shittier track record with how they treat their employees. They are ruthless, dishonest, and downright mean. When Maddon came up, they fired Rick Renteria, who never did anything but what was asked of him. We've already beaten the time served horse to death. Now Castro. I'm glad to have this product on the field, and can't wait to watch this team play, but this management unit could not possibly be more heartless to the people that do the work on the field and in the dugout. Quite shameful when you take baseball out of the question and just consider them as a business organization.

Great point - that's why I'm not a management guy.

What do you think of what Miami is apparently wanting for Fernandez? The kid is a stud. But apparently they asked for Urias, Seager, Pederson.....and two more players.

Urias and Seager are the Dodgers two most prized prospects. Pederson struggled the second half of last year but looks to be a 30/30 .280 hitter once they get a real hitting coach. Heck, Urias might end up being just as good as Fernandez.

Do you think they have no intention of trading him and are just messing with other teams?

Edited by Apollo

On the one hand, I'd say the Marlins are insane. On the other hand, look what Arizona gave up for Shelby. The pitching market is more inflated than the QB market in the NFL. That's a fine opening salvo, especially after all of the "Fernandez isn't available" bluffing. Doubt they'll hold to it if they're serious, though.

On the one hand, I'd say the Marlins are insane. On the other hand, look what Arizona gave up for Shelby. The pitching market is more inflated than the QB market in the NFL. That's a fine opening salvo, especially after all of the "Fernandez isn't available" bluffing. Doubt they'll hold to it if they're serious, though.

Would be tough to trade Fernandez but if the Fish could get 2-3 quality starting players including a solid middle of the rotation SP and few prospects wouldn't they have to consider it? They are not a contender with the current team, only won 71 games last year, with Fernandez so if they can get a nice haul of young quality ML ready players seems like it would be to there benefit to consider moving him.

Was reading the NY papers this morning and a writer claimed the Cubbies first asked the Yanks for Gardener for Castro and were told no by Cashman.

Lots of rumours flying around about the Yanks

- Talking to the Stros about SP Vincent Velasquez then either keeping him or possibly flipping him to the Fish in a trade for Marcell Ozuna

- Tigers sniffing around about Justin Wilson as the Yanks have some good young Lefty arms ready for the ML bullpen to replace him

they might not sign any big FA's but I think Cashman makes several more interesting trades to get the team younger

Edited by classicrawker

Would be tough to trade Fernandez but if the Fish could get 2-3 quality starting players including a solid middle of the rotation SP and few prospects wouldn't they have to consider it? They are not a contender with the current team, only won 71 games last year, with Fernandez so if they can get a nice haul of young quality ML ready players seems like it would be to there benefit to consider moving him.

Was reading the NY papers this morning and a writer claimed the Cubbies first asked the Yanks for Gardener for Castro and were told no by Cashman.

Lots of rumours flying around about the Yanks

- Talking to the Stros about SP Vincent Velasquez then either keeping him or possibly flipping him to the Fish in a trade for Marcell Ozuna

- Tigers sniffing around about Justin Wilson as they have some good young Lefty arms ready for the ML to replace him

they might not sign any big FA's but I think Cashman makes several more interesting trades to get the team younger

The Cubs and Yanks had Castro-Gardner talks last month that fell apart, so I figured that was where yesterday started. Yanks have a lot to work with, especially with Castro now aboard, so will be interested to see where they go.

Cubs beat reporter Jesse Rodgers all over the "Cubs have more to do" drum:

On top of which, reports that another splash could come as soon as today:

Heyward and Span are two names that have yet to go away over the course of the day. This could be another very, very good day.

Cubs beat reporter Jesse Rodgers all over the "Cubs have more to do" drum:

On top of which, reports that another splash could come as soon as today:

Heyward and Span are two names that have yet to go away over the course of the day. This could be another very, very good day.

Heyward would be a major score for the Cubbies but he will be expensive given the crazy contracts being handed out. Nice all around atheletic ballplayer and given his age it would not be a bad signing

I think Olney reported earlier that a 10yr, $300mil deal is totally within the range of possibilities for Heyward. No new speculation on him in a while today, with the Mets/Bucs deal and the Phils now getting active on trades. Hopefully as the day wears on, we'll get some new info. Makes sense that the Cubs would be tied up today, since Zobrist's presser was just a couple hours ago. Really really hoping that either Heyward or Span pan out.

I think Olney reported earlier that a 10yr, $300mil deal is totally within the range of possibilities for Heyward. No new speculation on him in a while today, with the Mets/Bucs deal and the Phils now getting active on trades. Hopefully as the day wears on, we'll get some new info. Makes sense that the Cubs would be tied up today, since Zobrist's presser was just a couple hours ago. Really really hoping that either Heyward or Span pan out.

Wow! Heyward is a nice player but sure he is worth that kind of money......

Yankees trade LHP Wilson to Tigers for 2 minor league pitching prospects Luis Cessa and Chad Green......Cessa was Detroits #6 propect and Green #19.....Cessa came from t h e Mets in the Cespedes trade...

Nice to get some live young arms but 2 pieces of the bullpen gone now...can the y afford to trade Miller now?

Japanese star pitcher Maeda will be posted tomorrow for what is believed to be a $20 million posting fee.....with the crazy contract being paid for pitchers it will be interesting to see what he commands.

Edited by classicrawker

What am I missing about Heyward? Ten years and 30 million per?

He is a gold glove right fielder. So that's a huge positive. Not as good as being a gold glove centerfielder. But a GG is always awesome to have on your team.

Last year he hit 13 homers, 60 RBI, 23 steals and hit 293 / which is 25 points over his career average.

He is a career 268 hitter who has only hit over 20 homers once. 23 steals is career high. Based on his past six years average, his projected season for next year is 13-55 .277 and 15 stolen bases.

And his playoff average (4 series) is .208.

What am I missing that makes him a 300 million dollar player? Is his defense sooooo extraordinary that it makes up for his mediocre offensive numbers?

Explosive bat, solid speed, cannon arm, doesn't strike out much, and a sense that he's really only starting to reach his full potential. Not sure he's quite worth the cash, but we'll see.

Alex Pavlovic from CSN says the sense around Music City is that Heyward will go very soon, perhaps even today. Whatever happens, Heyward going ought to get Alex Gordon and Denard Span moving as well. Happy last day of winter meetings, everyone!

UPDATE: The "decision today likely" reports are getting a touch more concrete:

Edited by axlslash

Heyward is a great all around player, his WAR last year was higher than: Robinson Cano, Jayson Werth, Lorenzo Cain, Dustin Pedroia, Justin Upton, Adrian Gonzalez and many more. Last year he posted his best AVG and 2nd highest OBP and is only 26. Plus by any defensive metric he is one of the tops in the league. Probably hasnt hit his full potential yet either. Based on the market this year for OFs, it seems right what he's going to get.

• Like 1

Angels came in, but have backed off again. It sounds like it's down to the Cubs and the Cards, with a deal possibly imminent one way or the other. ESPN's beat reporter on the Cubs is pretty big on the Cubs having a slight edge. I just hope it isn't at the cost of trading Jorge Soler. This is one of the best plays I have ever seen in person, and Soler is only going to get better.