Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Why the continue to schedule opening games in Northern cities in early April?  Why not have most northern teams play southern (or southernish) teams to avoid weather complications.  The one exception, of course, being the Jays, who play in a Dome.  But scheduling the season to start for both the Indians and Yankees in Cleveland on April 4th is dumb. 

Did anyone else have AJ Pollock on their fantasy team? wahh wahh wahhhhh. For the Dbacks that just sucks, they could've been contenders this year

Downzy youre right about the weather but this happens every single year. I can't explain either. And its not like it hasnt had an effect in the post season too. But you know how it goes, owners wouldnt dare give up regular season games. 

23 hours ago, bt88 said:

Did anyone else have AJ Pollock on their fantasy team? wahh wahh wahhhhh. For the Dbacks that just sucks, they could've been contenders this year

Downzy youre right about the weather but this happens every single year. I can't explain either. And its not like it hasnt had an effect in the post season too. But you know how it goes, owners wouldnt dare give up regular season games. 

It's a shame they can't shorten the regular season by ten games to allow for a more robust playoff schedule. 

But my gripe is how they schedule home games in early April for Northern teams.  I suppose there aren't enough southern teams to host, but why have Tampa host Toronto when Toronto could have hosted a few series with the Dome and Tampa could have hosted the Indians or the Yankees?  It's just dumb.

Crazy game in Tampa last night.  Jays starters are all looking like aces so far (Stroman, Dickey, Sanchez).  Sucks Cecil came in in the 8th and shit the bed.  I don't know what it is about the Jays but the 8th inning always does them in.  Has been that way for three or four years.  As much as I hate to admit it, the umps made the right call about Bautista.  He clearly reached out and grabbed the leg of Tampa's short stop who was trying to turn two.  It's a shame too because I think EE would have ran it out and the game would have been tied.  Harsh way to learn a new rule (but a rule I agree with wholeheartedly).  

The Cubs. Are. For. Real. Arrieta and Lester look like they're already in mid-season form, the bullpen has been lights-the-fuck-out, and that offense is CHURNING. 9 runs on opening day with only one HR - a nice change of pace for a team that lived and died by the longball last year. Big ups to management for shitting on the O's dreams, too - inking Dex Fowler is the difference in how this team works. Heyward at leadoff would have been a disaster these last two games the way he's swinging, so I'm glad that we have Dex back in his rightful place. Hopefully a nice run this year will convince the team to pony up, Fowler to come down a bit, and ultimately the two sides can work out a deal. We do still have Arrieta's long-term extension to worry about, but Fowler would be a nice keep for the next few years, too.

I know 2 games are a small sample size, but I have grown so used to Cubs teams getting hyped and hyped and hyped just to fall apart when the regular season hits and utterly disappoint. Even last year, April and the first part of May were positively attrocious for the Cubs, and it wasn't until mid-to-late May that the pieces started clicking. If this is the way we're playing on day 1... Oh man, am I excited for this season.

On April 5, 2016 at 9:36 PM, DirtyDeeds said:

I never knew a Brit could understand baseball so damn well. This is gold. 

His promotion reminds of when Howard Stern bought the seats right behind the plate at old Yankee stadium and had the wack pack sit in them.  It was great because the audience at home saw a row of weirdos sitting behind home plate every time they went to the usual centre-field camera. 

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

Another 8th inning collapse for the Jays...  And someone (not here) the other day was trying to tell me the Jays bullpen had been greatly improved.  

So we're not blaming the rules for today's loss, eh? :P

1 minute ago, axlslash said:

So we're not blaming the rules for today's loss, eh? :P

Don't recall blaming the rules :P

No, the Jays lost yesterday's game for the same reason they lost today's game - they can't pitch the eighth.  

• Like 1

Just now, downzy said:

Don't recall blaming the rules :P

No, the Jays lost yesterday's game for the same reason they lost today's game - they can't pitch the eighth.  

You may not have, but your manager sure as hell did. "Might as well have us playing in dresses" - the ladies in WWII slid in skirts, so let's not use "playing in dresses" as a euphemism for making the game weaker, bud.

Meanwhile, Joe Maddon started Nova alumnus Szczur because he was feeling the good vibes off of the NCAA Title game. Szczur goes on to blast a homer. Joe Maddon may or may not be a swami.

50 minutes ago, downzy said:

Another 8th inning collapse for the Jays...  And someone (not here) the other day was trying to tell me the Jays bullpen had been greatly improved.  

I mean, Storen has good career numbers and Osuna was very good in a small sample size. You could argue depth is an issue but when healthy that's a good 8-9 

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

You may not have, but your manager sure as hell did. "Might as well have us playing in dresses" - the ladies in WWII slid in skirts, so let's not use "playing in dresses" as a euphemism for making the game weaker, bud.

Meanwhile, Joe Maddon started Nova alumnus Szczur because he was feeling the good vibes off of the NCAA Title game. Szczur goes on to blast a homer. Joe Maddon may or may not be a swami.

Didn't see that until now.  I like Gibby for the most part (though there's a lot not like), but not his finest hour.  

21 minutes ago, bt88 said:

I mean, Storen has good career numbers and Osuna was very good in a small sample size. You could argue depth is an issue but when healthy that's a good 8-9 

I'm still not convinced about Osuna.  His fastball is still fairly flat.  I'm just sensitive to 8th inning meltdowns as it seems that's the inning the Jays lose leads the past four years.  Only four games in, long season to go.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Soooo frustrating :max:

Are pitching depth is still weak, we just have to out hit every team to win

5 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Soooo frustrating :max:

Are pitching depth is still weak, we just have to out hit every team to win

I expect the bats to pick up by May.  They're generally a little slow to start the year as hitters find their timing.

At least the starting rotation looks great so far.  Four great performances from Jays starters.   

But man alive, that bullpen makes me nervous as hell.  

25 minutes ago, downzy said:

I expect the bats to pick up by May.  They're generally a little slow to start the year as hitters find their timing.

At least the starting rotation looks great so far.  Four great performances from Jays starters.   

But man alive, that bullpen makes me nervous as hell.  

Yea I'm confident in our bats.....Donaldson, Tulo, Edwin, Bautista etc.....no worries there

Stroman, Dickey and Sanchez have looked good!

I guess we just have to keep hoping for strong performances from our starting rotation

I saw the controversial slide interference call and agree with the official's decision. One the first three views of it I was ready to be furious, but when they pointed out he's grabbing the fielder's leg with his hand... yeah that's a no-no. I don't think that was ever okay. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bran said:

yankees starlin castro off to a hot start .625 1hr 7 rbi in two games. pineda got roughed up, hanging curves and fastball right down the middle to correa and he did not miss.

Great start for Castro...he and Gregorious make a nice bottom of the lineup one two punch.

Was reading the NY papers this morning and  video ad that plays when I opened  the article about Castro's hot start was a ticket ad for Guns N Roses tickets..........:lol:

http://nypost.com/2016/04/07/starlin-castros-first-two-games-as-a-yankee-are-the-best-ever/

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 2

"Yankees Starlin Castro" is gonna take me some getting used to - he was the first Cub who was younger than me (I was 19 when they called him up as an 18 year old). Even though he wasn't always the best clubhouse influence, he was a guy worth watching, and I'll miss him. I'm glad we have Zobrist, and I think the trade that got built around Castro was a lot less lopsided than it looked at the time, but I'm gonna miss him. Glad he's finding success, though, he's earned it. And I do hope he gets a ring. Just not this year ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, axlslash said:

"Yankees Starlin Castro" is gonna take me some getting used to - he was the first Cub who was younger than me (I was 19 when they called him up as an 18 year old). Even though he wasn't always the best clubhouse influence, he was a guy worth watching, and I'll miss him. I'm glad we have Zobrist, and I think the trade that got built around Castro was a lot less lopsided than it looked at the time, but I'm gonna miss him. Glad he's finding success, though, he's earned it. And I do hope he gets a ring. Just not this year ;)

As you can imagine as a Yankee fan I am thrilled to get Castro.  I think he should thrive in NY as he has some solid hispanic veteran mentors like Arod and Beltran to keep him focused and other solid veterans as role models.

As long as he stays healthy I still think you are going to be happy with Warren. He is  quality pitcher who I think could be a solid middle of the rotation starter.

I was not following the Cubbies this spring so how did Warren pitch this spring? what is his role with the Cubbies? is the a bullpen/swing man or are the starting him?

10 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

As you can imagine as a Yankee fan I am thrilled to get Castro.  I think he should thrive in NY as he has some solid hispanic veteran mentors like Arod and Beltran to keep him focused and other solid veterans as role models.

As long as he stays healthy I still think you are going to be happy with Warren. He is  quality pitcher who I think could be a solid middle of the rotation starter.

I was not following the Cubbies this spring so how did Warren pitch this spring? what is his role with the Cubbies? is the a bullpen/swing man or are the starting him?

Rotation is Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hammel, Hendricks. We have a stacked list of swing guys in the bullpen - Trevor Cahill, Travis Wood, Adam Warren, and to a lesser degree Clayton Richard and Justin Grimm. Warren and Cahill are the two "aces" of that group, though.

As much as the Warren/Castro deal favored the Yanks, the Cubs got what they needed - Castro's salary off the books to make way for Zo, plus more depth for the pitching lineup. Unlike last year, an injured starter doesn't mean we're fucked for 1/5 games until they get back. We have depth and quality, so it should be a good run - especially if our team ERA stays at 0.75 all year ;)

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

Rotation is Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hammel, Hendricks. We have a stacked list of swing guys in the bullpen - Trevor Cahill, Travis Wood, Adam Warren, and to a lesser degree Clayton Richard and Justin Grimm. Warren and Cahill are the two "aces" of that group, though.

As much as the Warren/Castro deal favored the Yanks, the Cubs got what they needed - Castro's salary off the books to make way for Zo, plus more depth for the pitching lineup. Unlike last year, an injured starter doesn't mean we're fucked for 1/5 games until they get back. We have depth and quality, so it should be a good run - especially if our team ERA stays at 0.75 all year ;)

If the deal provides value for each team then it is a win-win IMHO....On paper it seems tilted to the Yankees, especially if Castro returns to Allstar form, but I think Warren is going to play a big part for the Cubbies this year. How many teams make it through the season using only 5-6 starters? I am betting when it gets to the dog days Warren will make some important starts for you guys........