Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

On October 6, 2016 at 1:08 AM, axlslash said:

This year's Team of Destiny takes on the Even-Year Team of Destiny in the NLDS. Gonna be a barn-burner of a 5-gamer between Chicago and San Fran. Hope to keep the Wrigleyville party rocking well into October!!

Probably the series I'm most interested in after the Jays-Rangers (though, if the Rangers don't pick up their game and have some respect for themselves, not going to be much to it).  

I do think the Cubs are a really good team, but my only issue is that they've had a much easier schedule then many other teams, particularly in the AL and the AL East.  I believe by mid September the Rays had played over a 100 games against teams with a winning record while the Cubs had played a little more than 50 teams with a winning record.  The only decent team they beat up on all season were the Pirates (though they faired well against the Dodgers, but with most of those games being very close games).  They did do well against AL teams, but then again, none of the AL teams they played made it to the playoffs.  It will be interesting to see how they respond having to play good to really good teams.  I'm always suspicious of teams like the Cubs who had an easier regular season relative to some of the other teams who made it in the playoffs.  

Cubs are the team I'm cheering on the most in the NL, except if they end up playing the Jays in the WS.  With the Jays and their fanbase quickly becoming the most hated team in the mlb, a certain element of schadenfreude if the Jays were to deny the Cubs, their fans, and all of baseball, the opportunity to break the worst non-championship streak in all of pro-sports.   

• downzy changed the title to Major League Baseball Thread - 2016 Playoffs!!!
1 hour ago, downzy said:

Probably the series I'm most interested in after the Jays-Rangers (though, if the Rangers don't pick up their game and have some respect for themselves, not going to be much to it).  

I do think the Cubs are a really good team, but my only issue is that they've had a much easier schedule then many other teams, particularly in the AL and the AL East.  I believe by mid September the Rays had played over a 100 games against teams with a winning record while the Cubs had played a little more than 50 teams with a winning record.  The only decent team they beat up on all season were the Pirates (though they faired well against the Dodgers, but with most of those games being very close games).  They did do well against AL teams, but then again, none of the AL teams they played made it to the playoffs.  It will be interesting to see how they respond having to play good to really good teams.  I'm always suspicious of teams like the Cubs who had an easier regular season relative to some of the other teams who made it in the playoffs.  

Cubs are the team I'm cheering on the most in the NL, except if they end up playing the Jays in the WS.  With the Jays and their fanbase quickly becoming the most hated team in the mlb, a certain element of schadenfreude if the Jays were to deny the Cubs, their fans, and all of baseball, the opportunity to break the worst non-championship streak in all of pro-sports.   

Look, I'm a pro wrestling fan. The Jays have some definitive "heel heat" (crowd anger at the villain in a given wrestling storyline, for the uninitiated :p) going. It makes for a better payoff for the bad guy to win the first championship match with the good guy, makes it that much sweeter when the good guy finally wins. So if that happens, I'll be gutted, but... There's always next year!

With the way MLB weights their schedules, and how much time you spend playing the same teams, any team that runs away with their division is going to have an "easy schedule." So it isn't that the Cubs had an easy schedule, is that they were on the good end of a lopsided talent disparity. This Cubs team has historic defense and pitching advanced stats. I think this is just that the Cubs really are just that much better than the team's they've played, not that the team's they've played haven't been good.

i guess we'll see what happens now ;)

My rooting interest is as follows, in order of most important to me to least important:

1) Against Cubs

2) Against Nationals

3) Against Texas

4) Against Boston

5) Against San Francisco

6) Against the American League representative of the World Series. This is trumped by #1 and #2.

Baseball has a story. The Cubs being losers is part of it. It must be preserved at all costs. 

18 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

My rooting interest is as follows, in order of most important to me to least important:

1) Against Cubs

2) Against Nationals

3) Against Texas

4) Against Boston

5) Against San Francisco

6) Against the American League representative of the World Series. This is trumped by #1 and #2.

Baseball has a story. The Cubs being losers is part of it. It must be preserved at all costs. 

As a Yankee fan I feel your pain........must be painful  being a Mets fan these days..................

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

1) Against Cubs

2) Against Nationals

3) Against Texas

4) Against Boston

5) Against San Francisco

So you're pretty much rooting for the Dodgers; and if the Dodgers don't make the WS, then it's the Jays or Indians (unless it's San Fran).  

Jays look pretty good up 2-0.  Granted, Jays lost the first two at home last year only to end up winning two in Texas to square it, so anything is possible.  But with Sanchez, arguably the best starting pitcher in the AL right now, going Sunday and Stroman backing him up if there's a need for game 4, I don't see this going back to Texas.  

And as bad as Bautista got it from Rangers fans, it's going to be fun watching what Jays fans do to Odor.  Bautista is a 35 year old man who relishes this kind of thing; how is Odor, a 22-year old, going to respond with the loudest ball park in the mlb taking him to task?  I almost feel sorry for the kid.  

You've got to think the pressure is on Price in today's game.  He still hasn't notched a playoff win and if he loses, Cleveland goes up 2-0.  For $32 million a year, Price better shake off his playoff history.  EDIT: having just checked the score, I feel like Boston might want a refund.  

17 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Another David Price playoff game flame out..........hate to say I told you so but I called this when the Sox signed him...........JMO but that huge contract of his is going to end up being an Albatross for them...........

Not extending an offer to Price and picking up Happ for less than half the money Price is making probably should award Shapiro GM of the year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

As a Yankee fan I feel your pain........must be painful  being a Mets fan these days..................

Honestly I don't feel that way. From relatively early on this season it was obvious not to expect anything. With the starting pitching decimated by injury other than Syndergaard and Grampa Colon, I really didn't expect much, especially given the Mets were sub-.500 in mid August. The fact that they climbed out from that to the brink of the playoffs (I don't consider Wild Card game to be post season, especially in this case where the Wild Card teams had the same record and would have had a game 163 even in the previous system) with a half-Triple-A team is pretty satisfying. In the final game, Syndergaard's performance was a thrill to watch, absolutely masterful, and I was quite enjoying taking in the psychological warfare that was being waged. Yeah Familia proved to be the choker that he is, as I knew he would be once I saw him brought in, but I'm really not disappointed. 

Also, last year watching the Mets battle up to the World Series was fucking exhausting physically and emotionally. I was putting in a lot of work to move my work shifts around so that I could be home to watch the baseball games for three weeks :lol:. And when I couldn't manage that, I had to go into a media blackout so that I could watch the game on recording without having the outcome spoiled for me. I was working weird hours and staying up late to watch these games. I just am not up to that again this year, with full time work, school, and several hours commute. I was almost relieved the Mets exited early. I can't have my life revolve around the Mets. 

Oh, and Downzy, I forgot, I also am kinda rooting against Cleveland :lol: I want the perennial losers to lose but I don't want the frequent winners to win. I know, ridiculous :lol:. So I guess that means I am rooting for Los Angeles and if not them, then Toronto! 

Edited by DirtyDeeds

I'm a big Yankee fan. So I'm real happy to see the Tribe up 2-0! With Tito at the helm, no less! 

I'm also anti-Cub. I'd love to see a Bartman-esque meltdown late in the series. Because fuck Theo Epstein. Baseball needs its traditions- such as the Cubs being the losers...

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Another David Price playoff game flame out..........hate to say I told you so but I called this when the Sox signed him...........JMO but that huge contract of his is going to end up being an Albatross for them...........

Agree 100%!!! Back to the cellar with them next year...

47 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I'm a big Yankee fan. So I'm real happy to see the Tribe up 2-0! With Tito at the helm, no less! 

I'm also anti-Cub. I'd love to see a Bartman-esque meltdown late in the series. Because fuck Theo Epstein. Baseball needs its traditions- such as the Cubs being the losers...

Agree 100%!!! Back to the cellar with them next year...

I agree with you 95% about the Sox tanking but I am actually rooting fo the Cubs.....Sure Epstein was the Red Sox GM who broke us Yankee fans hearts when they broke the curse but Cubs Fans are some of the best in Baseball and after getting to see a game their Wrigley Field is a National Monument in Baseball so I hope the Cubby fans get their WS Trophy..............:shrugs:

9 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

I agree with you 95% about the Sox tanking but I am actually rooting fo the Cubs.....Sure Epstein was the Red Sox GM who broke us Yankee fans hearts when they broke the curse but Cubs Fans are some of the best in Baseball and after getting to see a game their Wrigley Field is a National Monument in Baseball so I hope the Cubby fans get their WS Trophy..............:shrugs:

I know axlslash is going to be thinking, "Fuck you, Deeds," if he reads this, but in a way, I am hoping the Cubs lose in the interest of Cubs fans! Don't you see, though, classicrawker? When the Red Sox won and continued to win over the next decade, they lost their identity. Everything that made a Red Sox fan a Red Sox fan was lost, millions of bandwagon fans poured in, and the Red Sox ownership, team, and fanbase became everything they once despised; they became the New (England) Yankees. This time I'm not even saying that to take a shot at you or the Yankees, CR, but I'm just talking about the drastic change in the identity of the team. 

I honestly think that many Cubs fans, if they win, may long for the pre-championship days before too long because they won't know their team and their fellow fan anymore. They will be strangers in their own home. There is something special about the Cubs and about Cub fans, and for the good of baseball I will HATE to see that lost, and it will be lost, no doubt. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I know axlslash is going to be thinking, "Fuck you, Deeds," if he reads this, but in a way, I am hoping the Cubs lose in the interest of Cubs fans! Don't you see, though, classicrawker? When the Red Sox won and continued to win over the next decade, they lost their identity. Everything that made a Red Sox fan a Red Sox fan was lost, millions of bandwagon fans poured in, and the Red Sox ownership, team, and fanbase became everything they once despised; they became the New (England) Yankees. This time I'm not even saying that to take a shot at you or the Yankees, CR, but I'm just talking about the drastic change in the identity of the team. 

I honestly think that many Cubs fans, if they win, may long for the pre-championship days before too long because they won't know their team and their fellow fan anymore. They will be strangers in their own home. There is something special about the Cubs and about Cub fans, and for the good of baseball I will HATE to see that lost, and it will be lost, no doubt. 

Probably said tongue in your cheek........... but I live in Red Sox country Deeds and not sure the fans here  would agree with you that they lost their identity when they won the 2004 WS and broke the curse........As much as I hate the Sox they have some of the most loyal fans in the world so don't think they care if they gained some bandwagon fans in the process of finally putting the curse of the Bambino to rest...........As a Red Sox hater nothing would be more poetic for me than the big ticket Red Sox getting eliminated in 3 by the Indians while the Epstein led Cubs win their first World Series in over 100 years.......... 

Good game by the Cubs tonight.  Bumgarner should help the Giants win one game in the series, but I think the Cubs have this one in the bag.  

I just don't see the Dodgers giving the Cubs much of a challenge, so if I'm a Cubs fan, I'm rooting for the Dodgers.  

Very excited for tomorrow.  Would love to see both the Jays and Indians sweep their respective series.  As much as I want the Jays to make and win the World Series, Cleveland is my second choice to represent the AL.  I'm loath to support Texas or Boston.  

On October 8, 2016 at 10:11 PM, DirtyDeeds said:

Fuck you, deeds :D

We just extended Theo for 5 more years, and will have Jed and co. extended soon too. We aren't going to lose our ownership. We have all of our major pieces (sans Arrieta) locked down for years to come. We haven't even really seen what Bryant, Russell, Contreras, Soler, and Hendricks are capable of, and we're making this season happen without Schwarber's bat. This is a young, skilled team, and it's built for long term success.

And we've already made the turn from building the future to big spenders. Lester, Heyward, and Zobrist are making plenty of $$$ already. We have the cash. This is the plan. No one is a stranger anywhere. It's just adjusting from middling mediocrity to what success feels like. If you don't like that, you can go be a Met fan and never see a WS title any time soon ;)

When Theo was the Red Sox GM I gave him grudging respectt as he did an amazing job building that team to finally break the curse......................now that he is the Cubs President of Baseball Opertations he has proven what he did with the Sox was no fluke and he is one of the best young Baseball Executives in MLB..........He has come in and built the Cubbies to be in the hunt for a long time...........Cubs fans have earned their time in the sun with their unflagging support of an, at best, mediocre team all these years .............it is an exciting time to be a Cubs fan........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, classicrawker said:

When Theo was the Red Sox GM I gave him grudging respectt as he did an amazing job building that team to finally break the curse......................now that he is the Cubs President of Baseball Opertations he has proven what he did with the Sox was no fluke and he is one of the best young Baseball Executives in MLB..........He has come in and built the Cubbies to be in the hunt for a long time...........Cubs fans have earned their time in the sun with their unflagging support of an, at best, mediocre team all these years .............it is an exciting time to be a Cubs fan........

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-mlb-standings-would-look-if-teams-stuck-with-whoever-they-drafted/

Note the top two teams: The Sox, entirely built by Theo, and the Cubs, largely built by Theo. He's simply that damn good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, axlslash said:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-mlb-standings-would-look-if-teams-stuck-with-whoever-they-drafted/

Note the top two teams: The Sox, entirely built by Theo, and the Cubs, largely built by Theo. He's simply that damn good. 

The Red Sox have a nice young talent base but Lucchino winning the power struggle with Theo will come back to haunt the Red Sox IMHO...........

I am also rooting against the Dodgers as they thought they could buy a WS by throwing money at it like my Yankees did in the past and also don't like how they handled the Mattingly firing.........As a Yankee fan I never liked how the Steinbrenners spent all that money on FA's and am happy Hal is finally letting Cashman rebuild the team with youth......

I am rooting for a Cubs vs Indians WS.....two teams who could use a WS trophy for their long suffering fans

Edited by classicrawker

16 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

The Red Sox have a nice young talent base but Lucchino winning the power struggle with Theo will come back to haunt the Red Sox IMHO...........

I am also rooting against the Dodgers as they thought they could buy a WS by throwing money at it like my Yankees did in the past and also don't like how they handled the Mattingly firing.........As a Yankee fan I never liked how the Steinbrenners spent all that money on FA's and am happy Hal is finally letting Cashman rebuild the team with youth......

I am rooting for a Cubs vs Indians WS.....two teams who could use a WS trophy for their long suffering fans

I want Cubs-Sox. It's the best possible storybook ending for the Cubs' drought. 

21 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Yeah in reality that would be the best WS for drama and for TV ratings but as a Yankee fan I want the Sox to be swept by the Tribe.........:lol:

It must be so hard not to have your overpaid roid freaks to watch in October anymore :P

42 minutes ago, axlslash said:

It must be so hard not to have your overpaid roid freaks to watch in October anymore :P

No not at all I am actually happy Hal Steinbrenner has bitten the bullet and is letting Cashman rebuild with youth.....their model of signing expensive over 30 players was not working so I am confident we will be contenders in a few years with all young talent we have in the minors........

• Like 1