Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Congrats to Cleveland for winning the ALCS.  Shame the Jays bats went to sleep during the series as the pitching matchups certainly favoured the Jays.  Oh well, maybe next year.

Unless Cleveland can get ahead in the first five innings of each game, i don't see how the winner of the NCSL loses the WS.  Best of luck to both the Dodgers and the Cubs.  

• Like 1

Even though this is precisely the World Series match-up I DIDN'T want, congratulations to Cubs and Indians fans, and I can't wait to hear axlslash's account of events and his feelings on it all in about two days after he is sober once again. 

Besides, how could anyone not love this lady: 

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chicago-cubs-los-angeles-dodgers-nlcs-world-series-dorothy-fan-reaction-102216

ROSENTHAL_DOROTHY_POST_GM6_1280x720_7916

• Like 1

I was at Wrigley Field four years ago.  If you told me then that the Cubs were only four years from making and likely winning the world series, i wouldn't believe you.  

Congrats to the Chicago Cubs and their fans.  71 years and you're finally back to the show.  

I feel like the Cubs will take it in 5 (maybe 6).  I just don't see how Cleveland's starting pitching holds up with so many injuries.  For Cleveland to even have a chance, they'll need to secure a lead by the fifth or sixth inning.  

It was crazy on the streets here in Chi, people dancing in the street outside the bars, and cops EVERYWHERE. Luckily no rioting, I know how my fellow Chicagoans love to riot :lol:

Really happy for all my friends and my city. I'm still a Rays fan first and formost but I've been outta Tampa and in Chi for a decade now,  so I think I'll don the blue cap and head to Wriglyville on Tuesday

7 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Great pitching tonight against the Cubs.  Guess we will see if the statistics about the game 1 winner ring true. Cleveland had a great night tonight!

16 teams have been shut out in game 1. 9 have gone on to win it all. Lots of ball left to play.

It was a rough game to watch as a Cub fan, but there was a lot to like. We made the almighty Andrew Miller look hitable. We put a lot of pressure on the unbeatable closer. We got good looks at the ball. If Lester gets the same strike zone as Kluber in the first, it's a whole different ballgame. And who on earth is Kyle Schwarber?! Hasn't seen a big league pitch in 6 months, comes in seeing the ball well and tags one to the wall in the gap off Kluber?! Unreal. I was critical of the decision to take up a bullpen spot for a DH gamble, but I stand firmly corrected.

Tonight was bad, but with Arrieta tomorrow, KH at home on Friday, and an offensive juggernaut of a lineup, I like the Cubs chances. I'd still rather be us than them. 

5 hours ago, axlslash said:

16 teams have been shut out in game 1. 9 have gone on to win it all. Lots of ball left to play.

It was a rough game to watch as a Cub fan, but there was a lot to like. We made the almighty Andrew Miller look hitable. We put a lot of pressure on the unbeatable closer. We got good looks at the ball. If Lester gets the same strike zone as Kluber in the first, it's a whole different ballgame. And who on earth is Kyle Schwarber?! Hasn't seen a big league pitch in 6 months, comes in seeing the ball well and tags one to the wall in the gap off Kluber?! Unreal. I was critical of the decision to take up a bullpen spot for a DH gamble, but I stand firmly corrected.

Tonight was bad, but with Arrieta tomorrow, KH at home on Friday, and an offensive juggernaut of a lineup, I like the Cubs chances. I'd still rather be us than them. 

Maybe you watched that game thru Harry Caray's old glasses? Because I saw that juggernaut get shutout with 15 K's!!! 

One game doesn't at all dictate a series, but after last night, I wouldn't be too excited as a Cub fan to have 2 more Lester starts. Terrible matchup for him.

2 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Maybe you watched that game thru Harry Caray's old glasses? Because I saw that juggernaut get shutout with 15 K's!!! 

One game doesn't at all dictate a series, but after last night, I wouldn't be too excited as a Cub fan to have 2 more Lester starts. Terrible matchup for him.

Lester's only mistake was assuming that he and Kluber were pitching with the same strike zone. Once he figured out that he wasn't going to get that corner, he was fine.

It was a bad game for the Cubs, no doubt, but there were a lot of reasons to be optimistic. We'll see how tonight goes, but I'd still bet on the Cubs over Cleaveland. 

if you're a Cubs fan, take solace in the fact that this was the one game you're team likely wasn't going to win.  Assuming Cleveland get another start out of Kluber, I can see the Cubs winning in six, maybe seven.  The problem for Cleveland is that their starting pitching after Kluber drops off considerably.  And you have to think getting to Miller last night (though no runs scored, Cubs players were able to see the ball really well) will provide a little more confidence to the team the next time they face him.  It really looked like they did their homework with Miller, with Schwarber taking a pitch for a walk that he had no business laying off from.  

Personally, I'd love to see Cleveland win it in seven, but if I were a betting man I'd still say the odds favour the Cubs.  

2 hours ago, downzy said:

if you're a Cubs fan, take solace in the fact that this was the one game you're team likely wasn't going to win.  Assuming Cleveland get another start out of Kluber, I can see the Cubs winning in six, maybe seven.  The problem for Cleveland is that their starting pitching after Kluber drops off considerably.  And you have to think getting to Miller last night (though no runs scored, Cubs players were able to see the ball really well) will provide a little more confidence to the team the next time they face him.  It really looked like they did their homework with Miller, with Schwarber taking a pitch for a walk that he had no business laying off from.  

Personally, I'd love to see Cleveland win it in seven, but if I were a betting man I'd still say the odds favour the Cubs.  

FiveThirtyEight had the Cubs at a 63% chance of winning it all going into last night, with a 45% chance of winning last night's game. Kluber pitched a hell of a game, but less dominant than Kersh's first start in the NLCS. The Cubs got their looks in and shook off the nerves. I don't think the Cubs going up 3-1 is all that unlikely. I think I would have taken Cubs in 6 before last night, and I probably still fall around there. 

IMHO losing the first game does not diminish the Cubs chances as Kluber pitched a hell of a game and the Tribes bullpen has been pretty bulletproof all through the playoffs.

Not sure I am seeing a lack of pitching for the Tribe as they managed to tame the bats of two of the most dangerous lineups in the AL beating Boston and Toronto losing only one game. Considering Bauer says his finger is pretty much healed and Salazar may be able to contribute out of the pen I think the Tribe is going to be very competitive so I am hoping for a great series no matter who wins............

It's a best-of-five series, and the Cubs have home field advantage and Big Mo. Kyle Hendricks and his best-in-the-league home ERA take the bump Friday. Everyone who came out of yesterday and said Cub fans should be worried can cram it. Losing game 1 isn't as good as winning it, but it's just 1/7. Looking forward to where the rest of this set goes.

Kyle Schwarber saw his first MLB pitch in 6 months last night. He is 3/7 with an OBP of .500, two RBIs, and is seeing the ball more discriminatingly than he ever has before. What a feel-good story, no matter how this series plays out.

9 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

That Bill Murray/ Daffy Duck thing was the most bizarre thing I've seen in a long long time...

My take on that was that he got to use it to emphasize the correct lyrics, which practically nobody sings. Many ballparks even put the wrong lyrics up on their video boards. What I mean is the following:

Take me out to the ballgame,

take me out WITH the crowd (not TO the crowd).

Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack (not Cracker JackS).

I don't care if I NEVER (as opposed to EVER) get back. 

LET ME (not For It's) root, root, root for the home team;

If they don't win, it's a shame. 

For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out, at the old ball game.

I know it's trivial, but I suspect it bothers Bill Murray as much as it bothers me when people sing it wrong. 

Remember, there are verses to this song that are not commonly sung, and the song's subject is a plea by this chick Katie Casey in 1908 (perhaps she was a fan of the last World Championship Cubs team? :-P ) for her date to forget about wining and dining her, that she doesn't want to go on these fancy, boring, traditional dates. Instead she wants her date/boyfriend to take her to the ballgame, so she can forget about his sorry ass, and get totally lost in the game that she loves and hang with the boys who play on her favorite team. So she's not professing the characteristics of a ball game, she is begging to be taken there, to get permission to engage fully in her fandom. THAT'S why the little words in the song matter to me, and perhaps to Bill Murray, too. 

Edited by DirtyDeeds

20 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

My take on that was that he got to use it to emphasize the correct lyrics, which practically nobody sings. Many ballparks even put the wrong lyrics up on their video boards. What I mean is the following:

Take me out to the ballgame,

take me out WITH the crowd (not TO the crowd).

Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack (not Cracker JackS).

I don't care if I NEVER (as opposed to EVER) get back. 

LET ME (not For It's) root, root, root for the home team;

If they don't win, it's a shame. 

For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out, at the old ball game.

I know it's trivial, but I suspect it bothers Bill Murray as much as it bothers me when people sing it wrong. 

Remember, there are verses to this song that are not commonly sung, and the song's subject is a plea by this chick Katie Casey in 1908 (perhaps she was a fan of the last World Championship Cubs team? :-P ) for her date to forget about wining and dining her, that she doesn't want to go on these fancy, boring, traditional dates. Instead she wants her date/boyfriend to take her to the ballgame, so she can forget about his sorry ass, and get totally lost in the game that she loves and hang with the boys who play on her favorite team. So she's not professing the characteristics of a ball game, she is begging to be taken there, to get permission to engage fully in her fandom. THAT'S why the little words in the song matter to me, and perhaps to Bill Murray, too. 

Entirely possible. And here I was just thinking it was because he'd been drinking all day...:lol: